 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | Hunting Pellets |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:18 pm |
|
|
| Jaxom |
| Senior Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 06 Aug 2008 |
| Posts: 927 |
|
|
|
 |
I know it's usually best for any type of gun, air rifle/pistol, rimfire, center fire, ect, you usually put samples of just about every type of ammo through your gun you can get your hands on. At least until you find which brand your particular gun likes the most.
Because of budgeting restraints, I need to narrow the field down a bit to just hunting pellets. For the presant, I need some suggestions for .177 that I'll be feeding through my 1077. Eventually extending that into a soon to be purchased Quest.
Since there's a substantial power difference between a 1077 and a Quest, I would assume that a heavier pellet that the Quest could handle the 1077 could not. For now, I've been using Crosman Premier's 7.9gr's. I'd say I've been having fairly good success with these. No jams as of yet and the 500ct tin is almost empty. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:40 pm |
|
|
| AirGunEric |
| Site Admin |

 |
 |
| Joined: 20 Jan 2007 |
| Posts: 6930 |
| Location: "Out There" |
|
|
 |
| Crosman also has heavier .177 pellets- the "Premier Ultra Magnum" pellets and the "Benjamin Discovery .177" both are Hollow Point and both weigh 10.5gr. They might be the same pellet- I'd like to think not, but I can't say for sure. The 10.5gr hollow point might work alot better for hunting with a Quest 1000 than would the 7.9gr units. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:06 pm |
|
|
| Slavia |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 31 Mar 2008 |
| Posts: 4382 |
| Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA |
|
|
 |
| I've used the Ultra Magnums in my Crosman G1, and they work reasonably well. They're available locally, too. |
|
_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego! |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:35 pm |
|
|
| cw |
| Banned |
 |
 |
| Joined: 10 Feb 2008 |
| Posts: 1771 |
|
|
|
 |
I have used Superdomes, Kodiaks and Eun Jins for hunting and
pest control for years. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:57 pm |
|
|
| Rogerflat |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 03 Jan 2008 |
| Posts: 2051 |
|
|
|
 |
I'm of the opinion that the best pellet, for hunting OR target practice, is the most accurate one. It's just not worth compromising accuracy for anything else when it comes to hunting.
Find a good dome and go with that. I doubt there are many air rifles out there that don't like domes. |
|
_________________ I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:18 am |
|
|
| kanyon |
| Silver Status Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 09 Aug 2008 |
| Posts: 1582 |
| Location: New Zealand |
|
|
 |
JSB PREDITORS if you want to hunt , they are 8gr and you will have
no issues with hiting what you aim at.
But you still need to place your shot.
mined you if you are picking on those quite little squirrel's
any good dome should do it.
Rabbit size I would use Preditors and double so for a 1.77 where
you an't going to have a lot of ft/lbs |
|
_________________ Career Infinity PCP .22
Webley Patriot .25
Hatsan mod 75 .22
Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177
.............................................
. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:05 pm |
|
|
| Jaxom |
| Senior Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 06 Aug 2008 |
| Posts: 927 |
|
|
|
 |
| I most definetly agree Roger. What good is a heavier pellet if it doesn't hit the mark, eh? I just wanted to narrow the field down a bit. Then grab a few samples of what folks have suggested and see which ones my rifles like to digest. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:39 pm |
|
|
| sniper |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 28 Nov 2008 |
| Posts: 3752 |
| Location: Star, Idaho |
|
|
 |
| don't buy anything cheap. jsb pellets are very good as are rws and crosman premiers. my gamo loves jsb exacts. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:04 am |
|
|
| dummyracer36 |
| Senior Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 21 Sep 2008 |
| Posts: 723 |
| Location: St. Louis, Missouri |
|
|
 |
| i agree with roger on this one too.... try whatever is easy for you to get that is NOT a wad cutter and go with the most accurate one. the predators are great pellets, but i use those more for shorter range shots, and use a dome for longer range... 40+ yards. the crosman/benjimin hollow points to me, dont seem to expand at all on impact with a soft target, seem to be a harder lead compound than say a beeman pellet. |
|
_________________ "not tonight dear, i have a race in the morning" |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:32 pm |
|
|
| 23ib0d0n |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 21 May 2007 |
| Posts: 757 |
|
|
|
 |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:40 pm |
|
|
| lauchlin |
| Supporting Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 21 Feb 2007 |
| Posts: 184 |
| Location: Vancouver Island BC |
|
|
 |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:23 pm |
|
|
| fritz |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 25 Nov 2008 |
| Posts: 2444 |
| Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia |
|
|
 |
I love RWS superdome pellets for my Diana 34 .177. They provide groups good enough for rabbits and squirrels. HN match pellets can give me one hole wonders, but I think the lack of penetration and cost set them back.
In my Super Streak .22 I'm breaking it in with Gamo match which provide me enough accuracy to kill squirrel and rabbit also. RWS hollow points give decent accuracy, but I'm not going to use them just yet because the gun isn't broken in.
Try Crosman hunters, they're cheap and work just as well as some higher quality pellets, I suggust having a well-choked barrel becuase they fit loose in my D34. |
|
_________________ "I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa
Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.
It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:29 am |
|
|
| sniper |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 28 Nov 2008 |
| Posts: 3752 |
| Location: Star, Idaho |
|
|
 |
fritz,
what to you mean by "choked barrel"? the crosmans are so loose in my gamo they fall out. i've found jsb's and crow mags have a tighter fit. and fly faster even though they weigh more. |
|
_________________ I believe in gun control,
If there's a gun around I
want to be controlling it....... |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:56 am |
|
|
| fritz |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 25 Nov 2008 |
| Posts: 2444 |
| Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia |
|
|
 |
| Yes, Crosman's also BARELY stay in my barrel when I'm closing it up. This means they are loose, if your barrel is choked then it will help accuracy since the pellet is a bit smaller. |
|
_________________ "I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa
Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.
It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:17 pm |
|
|
| Rogerflat |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 03 Jan 2008 |
| Posts: 2051 |
|
|
|
 |
I'd also like to remind everyone that a good "hunting" pellet is basically the same as a good "target" pellet. The most important criteria is that your rifle accurately and consistently puts the pellet on the target.
I've always felt that the shape of the pellet doesn't really matter much. A dome will kill just as good as a hallow point.
The only thing that you might consider is that if your rifle can accurately shoot heavy pellets and light pellets, then you'd ideally use the heavy ones for hunting and the lighter ones for targeting. |
|
_________________ I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.
|