Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Hunting Pellets Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Hunting Pellets 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 927
I know it's usually best for any type of gun, air rifle/pistol, rimfire, center fire, ect, you usually put samples of just about every type of ammo through your gun you can get your hands on. At least until you find which brand your particular gun likes the most.

Because of budgeting restraints, I need to narrow the field down a bit to just hunting pellets. For the presant, I need some suggestions for .177 that I'll be feeding through my 1077. Eventually extending that into a soon to be purchased Quest.

Since there's a substantial power difference between a 1077 and a Quest, I would assume that a heavier pellet that the Quest could handle the 1077 could not. For now, I've been using Crosman Premier's 7.9gr's. I'd say I've been having fairly good success with these. No jams as of yet and the 500ct tin is almost empty.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Crosman also has heavier .177 pellets- the "Premier Ultra Magnum" pellets and the "Benjamin Discovery .177" both are Hollow Point and both weigh 10.5gr. They might be the same pellet- I'd like to think not, but I can't say for sure. The 10.5gr hollow point might work alot better for hunting with a Quest 1000 than would the 7.9gr units.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
I've used the Ultra Magnums in my Crosman G1, and they work reasonably well. They're available locally, too.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
cw
Banned
Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 1771
I have used Superdomes, Kodiaks and Eun Jins for hunting and
pest control for years.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2051
I'm of the opinion that the best pellet, for hunting OR target practice, is the most accurate one. It's just not worth compromising accuracy for anything else when it comes to hunting.

Find a good dome and go with that. I doubt there are many air rifles out there that don't like domes.

_________________
I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Posts: 1582
Location: New Zealand
JSB PREDITORS if you want to hunt , they are 8gr and you will have
no issues with hiting what you aim at.
But you still need to place your shot.
mined you if you are picking on those quite little squirrel's
any good dome should do it.
Rabbit size I would use Preditors and double so for a 1.77 where
you an't going to have a lot of ft/lbs

_________________
Career Infinity PCP .22
Webley Patriot .25
Hatsan mod 75 .22
Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177


.............................................


.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 927
I most definetly agree Roger. What good is a heavier pellet if it doesn't hit the mark, eh? I just wanted to narrow the field down a bit. Then grab a few samples of what folks have suggested and see which ones my rifles like to digest.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 3752
Location: Star, Idaho
don't buy anything cheap. jsb pellets are very good as are rws and crosman premiers. my gamo loves jsb exacts.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
dummyracer36
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 723
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
i agree with roger on this one too.... try whatever is easy for you to get that is NOT a wad cutter and go with the most accurate one. the predators are great pellets, but i use those more for shorter range shots, and use a dome for longer range... 40+ yards. the crosman/benjimin hollow points to me, dont seem to expand at all on impact with a soft target, seem to be a harder lead compound than say a beeman pellet.

_________________
"not tonight dear, i have a race in the morning"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 757
I like wadcutters for hunting.
Critters usually don't even twitch after being smacked by one of those flat faced meat tenderizers . . .

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ispellan/PelletTest02.html

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ispellan/PelletTest01.html

from:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ispellan/Airguns.html
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
lauchlin
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 184
Location: Vancouver Island BC
23ib0d0n wrote:
I like wadcutters for hunting.
Critters usually don't even twitch after being smacked by one of those flat faced meat tenderizers . . .

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ispellan/PelletTest02.html

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ispellan/PelletTest01.html

from:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ispellan/Airguns.html


I agree 100%
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2444
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
I love RWS superdome pellets for my Diana 34 .177. They provide groups good enough for rabbits and squirrels. HN match pellets can give me one hole wonders, but I think the lack of penetration and cost set them back.

In my Super Streak .22 I'm breaking it in with Gamo match which provide me enough accuracy to kill squirrel and rabbit also. RWS hollow points give decent accuracy, but I'm not going to use them just yet because the gun isn't broken in.

Try Crosman hunters, they're cheap and work just as well as some higher quality pellets, I suggust having a well-choked barrel becuase they fit loose in my D34.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 3752
Location: Star, Idaho
fritz,
what to you mean by "choked barrel"? the crosmans are so loose in my gamo they fall out. i've found jsb's and crow mags have a tighter fit. and fly faster even though they weigh more.

_________________
I believe in gun control,
If there's a gun around I
want to be controlling it.......
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2444
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
Yes, Crosman's also BARELY stay in my barrel when I'm closing it up. This means they are loose, if your barrel is choked then it will help accuracy since the pellet is a bit smaller.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2051
I'd also like to remind everyone that a good "hunting" pellet is basically the same as a good "target" pellet. The most important criteria is that your rifle accurately and consistently puts the pellet on the target.

I've always felt that the shape of the pellet doesn't really matter much. A dome will kill just as good as a hallow point.

The only thing that you might consider is that if your rifle can accurately shoot heavy pellets and light pellets, then you'd ideally use the heavy ones for hunting and the lighter ones for targeting.

_________________
I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity.
View user's profile Send private message
Hunting Pellets 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.