Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » New barrel for M-Rod
New barrel for M-Rod 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I live in NJ, which has just made it illegal to even possess an airgun with any kind of shroud or baffle system, classifying it as a "suppressed firearm." What a bunch of dopes! Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever replaced a Marauder barrel with something other than the factory Green Mountain barrel? I just want to put a .25 cal barrel on it that is a bit longer, un shrouded, and without baffles. Any suggestions as to who or where to get such a barrel from? I sent an email to Lothar-Walther in regards to their products, but am awaiting a reply. I should preface this question with this: while I am mechanically inclined, and am un afraid to disassemble/work on/tinker with an airgun, I do not possess the skills of a machinist, nor do I have access to such tooling. Thanx in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Lothar Walther only sells barrel blanks or specific stock items- not any sort of custom barrels.

Why go dinking around- get a factory .25 cal barrel and bolt from Crosman and install it- remove baffles from Marauder barrel shroud and insert an aluminum spacer in place (if you have to hammer it in- i.e. not easily removable, I don't think anyone could consider the gun to then be suppressed, or potentially suppressed with a quick-fix).

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanx, but my understanding is that the baffles are only part of the problem. The shroud is the other part. I could just pull the shroud and baffles, but...and I hate to sound trivial, it'd look too darned stupid to tolerate. I figure if I get a new barrel, one that extends out to or past the end of the air tank, there can be NO arguing that it's not silenced/silenceable, or shrouded, and therefore not "illegal."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I think you might want to look at the exact wording of the new law, and then ask for some interpretation from whatever body is responsible for interpreting/applying the law.

Some parts of the world (i.e. entire countries) ban suppressors completely- yet removal of the baffles and replacement with a solid -something- that cannot be easily removed without damaging any shrouding is generally legal in these places- the point being that it is not the "appearance" of the gun that is the issue- it is it's ability to suppress sound.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanx Eric, I have been strongly considering your suggestion. As far as actual written law goes, I'm not aware of any hard rules yet. The bottom line (for now) is that the State Police have made the "suppressed firearm" designation. Hopefully, there won't be any other specifics like a "banned list," for instance. As it stands, the rules are: no baffles/suppressors/anything that moderates the audible report of the "gun." There has not yet (thankfully) been mention of specific models or manufacturers.
New barrel for M-Rod 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing