Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Want to Buy » WTB Early .20 Cal.Sheridan Rear Sight (set screw type)
WTB Early .20 Cal.Sheridan Rear Sight (set screw type) 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:24 am Reply with quote
BBGun Bob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am Looking to buy a set screw style rear sight.I need the complete unit,screws( both for mounting and elevation),blade and attaching bracket that clamps to the barrel.I have restored one of these old beauties but do not have the rear site.It does not have to be mint but something I could work with. Please e-mail me if you have one you would like to sell,, with a picture and price so I can determine if this is the one I need.

Thank You For Looking
Merry Christmas
I hope Santa brings you
the Air Gun you've been
yearning for!!!

Respectfully
BBGun Bob
Wayne, Michigan
"contact me @"
reschlund@wowway.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
You wouldn't happen to have the part number(s) that this part had originally, do you?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
I have no idea of Part number 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
BBGun Bob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Eric,
I am talking about a sight that is pre-1964.Maybe in the Vintage yellow forum I could find a part # But it would probably take a former Sheridan employee to know this.
This information came from that site.
I read over there that the sight on my Sheridan will seperate the solder joint between the barrel and pump tube.It was Sheridans way to save money(do away with set screws and replace with press-on).There are two little triangles that fit in the groove or solder joint.you then press the rear sight over these scored triangles.It takes alot of pressure to accomplish this, it can not be done by bare hands that same squeeze pressure is then applyed to those triangles which in turn eventually cause the solder joint to break at that point.
I'v tried to open the spread on this sight mount(press on style) with a battery terminal spreader it broke the spreader.Tough sh!t! A center punch won't touch it!
I ended up milling 4 small holes( two on each side) and taping my old one to 6/32 thread for set screw retension.I will use this set up until I get a old original.If I had a better camera with close up feature I would show you.I hope you can understand my explaination.I used to teach basic welding to 16-18 year old students they told me I was very good at giving explainations,I really don't know if they were kidding or not.
Sometimes I wonder about our young people and there common sense abilitys.The generation now seems so different in what they want to learn.
Most have no mechanical interests at all.I think in ten-twenty years there will be a major shortage of skilled trades people.

BBGun Bob

Re: I have no idea of Part number 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBGun Bob wrote:
Sometimes I wonder about our young people and there common sense abilities.The generation now seems so different in what they want to learn.
Most have no mechanical interests at all.I think in ten-twenty years there will be a major shortage of skilled trades people.

BBGun Bob

That's a dual-edged problem. I can't use most "trades" as an example, but I can use the automotive world/mechanics as an example. Since about the mid-late 60s society has told people that people working with their hands are not "educated" or "smart"- which of course is absurd, but whatever. Then, along come the newer institutions of society offering cheaper education for all and everyone runs off to become an office worker or such and the "hands on" people are sent off to trade schools which somehow end up with incorrect reputations as schools for the less-than-'swift'. So- now we have a self-fulfilling destiny- less and less people want to go to a trade school so that aren't thought of as "undereducated" or "stupid" and they run off to post-secondary institutions offering Bachelors and Associates degrees- the majority of which only qualify them to work at Burger King anyways.

But that's not the end of the problem- in the automotive world- they stick "new" mechanics-in-training into grunt labor flogging tires and oil changes (hard, and very dirty, work) sometimes for years depending on the location/state/country, then once they achieve licensing they get paid very little for their efforts. So, if a kid were to do any research on this beforehand- they'd probably say "5 years of education and work experience to get a license to make $15-20 per billable hour. "Why, I can get an associates degree and make $50k a year no sweat" which of course is not generally true- but the illusion still exists.

In many trades, at least in my area, the unions and the employers also do everything in their power to make sure no new tradesman get brought up- apprenticeships are extremely hard to come by and are generally prone to nepotism issues (i.e. only the kid or nephew of an existing tradesman is ever given a job), and anyone who learns a trade "on the job" in an industrial setting is never registered by their employer with the appropriate government agency to be tested/approved for licensing, all so they can pay them 35 per cent less than someone with the license would get doing the same work.

Personally, I don't have much of a problem understanding why many kids avoid the trades with this sort of thing going on- but kids who refuse to get dirty or learn something, like say how to change the brake pads on their own car, obviously do exist- and to those types I can't relate and you may be correct- far too many of these types around today.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
Ah Ha You see the problem too! 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
BBGun Bob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All I can say is Amen brother.These kids will paying thru the nose for services rendered when something breaks.
Plumbers,Electricans.Carpenters,just to name a few don't come cheap!!
They better make 50 grand or more to pay the repair bills.

BBGun Bob

WTB Early .20 Cal.Sheridan Rear Sight (set screw type) 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Want to Buy