Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Requesting some purchasing advice / Air Arms TX200 MkIII
Requesting some purchasing advice / Air Arms TX200 MkIII 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
PlusP
Hello,

My free time has been very limited and it is increasingly difficult for me to get to the rifle range to shoot my centerfire and rimfire rifles. However, my love of shooting has not diminished and I find it to be a great stress relief. As of late, I’ve been shooting my old Benjamin 392PA (.22 w/ Williams rear aperture) in the back yard and I’m having even more fun now than ever before.

Although I am pleased with my trusty and dependable Benjamin, I am now in the market for a “target quality” air rifle.

*I prefer benchrest shooting. (Rifle weight is not a concern.)
*I intend to shoot paper targets.
*I am interested in a .177 as my research shows that it provides great accuracy. (I am not limited to a particular caliber, though.)
*I am not concerned with velocity as long as the rifle is very accurate. I am particularly concerned with being able to make consistent, tight groups.
*I do want a rifle that has excellent range. (I am fairly new to the airgun scene, so I am not sure about the max. range I should expect. However, I do like to shoot from as far away as possible and still make accurate shots.)
*I want a rifle that has a light, crisp, and predictable trigger. (hopefully adjustable)
*I prefer a wood stock and that the overall rifle be of excellent fit and finish.
*I like shooting open sights, but the rifle must be able to equip a scope. The scope mounts are a major concern. I have looked into the RWS line and they are well regarded rifles, but many complain of their poor mounts and "scope walk".
*I do not want a multi-pump rifle.

I am highly considering the Air Arms TX200 MkIII. However, being that I am unfamiliar with airguns, I am not sure how this rifle performs on distant targets. I am also unfamiliar with air rifle scopes and I welcome any advice that can be provided on this matter as well.

I have read that the TX200 is great value, but I am open to other models of air rifles. I would love to hear your opinions and experiences so that I can make an informed decision.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Hi PlusP Welcome to the site.
I have a TX200HC in .177 which is the carbine version of the TX so I can't comment on other rifles. I have had the TX for 3 months and shoot every day mostly from a bench althrough I do a bit of field target when I get time, from a bench it will shoot hole through hole at 20m no problem, this is of cause with a scope ( no sights are fitted to the TX range), it will do 20mm groups at 30m and 50mm groups at 45m, this is with me shooting I'm sure a better marksman would improve this groupings considerably, what the maximum workable range is I don't know but I would have thought about 70m.

I think the only other contender is the Weihrauch Hk 97, which is a compairable gun to the TX and shoots about the same, both have the best triggers you can get on a general purpose airgun, the TX is supposed to be better out of the box, and the HK is cheaper.

one other thing about the TX and Pro Sport range they have built in silencers, the TX200 and Pro Sport are the quietest because they have a longer barrel, but if you are not bothered about noise then the HC as a nice crack when fireing with out the silencer insert

The TX has a machined scope mount in the top of the reciver with locking holes, although the kick back is very little, I use a Hawke Airmax scope and it stays zeroed no problem.

Al

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
PlusP
Thanks for the quick reply.

I think I am going to get the TX200 MkIII.

I never shoot my AR-15, so I am thinking about selling it. (I traded a Colt 1911 to a friend for it so it never really cost me anything. I've taken it to the range once in the 2 years I've had it and the novelty has worn off. I've got a lot of guns and it just isn't practical.) Once I get rid of it, I should break just about even on the cost of the new rifle, a good scope and mount, and some accessories. I'll get a lot more use out of the air rifle.

I pretty much have my heart set on the TX, but until I get the rifle sold, I am still open for anyone's advice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
Desert Rat
As a benchrest shooter primarily I`d go with a PCP, I have a TX 200 and several other springer air rifles, but on the bench it takes quite a bit of technique to get good groups. On the other hand I have a FX .22 PCP and it is a
amazing shooter,most accurate rifle in my safe.Almost boringly accurate.
Precharged pneumatics= no recoil very little maintainance, but you need a way to fill them, tanks, pumps,etc, no scope issues. So if your wanting a
benchrest rifle even though I shoot springers a lot more, I say PCP for the bench, your success rate will be much much better. Smile

FWB124
FX Tarantula
TX 200
Requesting some purchasing advice / Air Arms TX200 MkIII 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics