Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition » Kids and shooting
Kids and shooting 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
firemandivi
Hi all, haven't posted in a while. Life has been busy, too busy. I have been trying to teach my two oldest how to shoot properly with an old bb gun of mine. They are 8 and 6 years old. My old pellet gun has open sights and shoots just fine for me but they just can't get the hang of it. I've tried explaining about the notch and the "V" I've drawn pictures, I've showed them, I've aimed for them I've done everything I can think of and they still barely hit the paper from less than 10 yards away.

So I broke down and bought cheap little 4x scope for it. Now their doing much better and hitting a soda can most of the time. Although they do still miss but its not by much. What I'm wondering is if anyone has some ideas on how to teach kids how to shoot with open sights. I never had any instruction and just taught myself and have read some on the subject. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Maybe try putting an eye patch on them- I suspect part of it is not being able to concentrate on using only one eye for sighting.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
firemandivi
Hey Eric,

Thanks for the patch idea, they do close the one eye but maybe a patch will help force them. I think its the notch and V thing that they just aren't grasping. Maybe they're too young. They also have a tough time with archery too. Its the whole aiming thing. It is funny though when they miss the soda can and say they where on target. They move the gun around so much. But their at least close.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Maybe a shooting bag would help to keep them steady?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
firemandivi
I haven't tried a bag with the scope, but I like that idea. They want to start hitting paper but I'm afraid they will be disappointed if they don't hit the bullseye so I told them that once they can hit the can every time then we will switch to paper targets. As long as they are having fun and keep asking to shoot I'm not gong to complain....unless they start missing everything again Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
shawn706
First off, check their eye dominance. More important that being right handed or left handed. Shoot with the dominate eye. Here's how.

http://www.georgia4h.org/safe/disciplines/EyeDominance.pdf

Next make sure they know proper sight picture. This might help.

http://www.georgia4h.org/safe/disciplines/Rifle/SightAlignment.pdf

Have them shoot off a bench rest, or bag as suggested earlier, till they get the aiming down, then move to differant positions. They're still pretty young, so have patience, and keep it fun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
shawn706
Also, put yourself on the bench and see what kind of group you can hit at the distance that you have them shooting at, and then manage your expectations accordingly.
Kids and shooting 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition