Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » Scope Info Goto page 1, 2  Next
Scope Info 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
tommytanker
I have heard that scopes under 80.00 just are not gonna hold up. I'm thinking of upgrading. The 2 scopes I'm using are the 3x9x40 Hawke sport unit. 76.05 no tax and free shpg. Now are these gonna end up useless quicker than the higher priced Hawkes.

So what would a higher priced Hawke scope going to offer in quality, actually the extra zoom on Varmint Model to 12 or 16 would be fine and the side AO adjustment would be easier not that I use it a bunch.

Then possibly the Eclipse Model, which is another jump in price for probably more extras (which is cool) but if all have same quality as my 76.05 Hawke scope there is a possibility that all end up in 5 gallon bucket.

One last thing the difference in 30mm versus 1 inch scopes are they stronger or whatever, remember the caliber of man asking so please dumb down the answers.

Is there a marked improvement in clarity etc. Just curious.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Over time I have used most models of Hawk scopes and find that the higher the price the more goodies are added, but the basic scope is more than capable of standing up to other makes, and you should have no problem with the sport model. The Eclipse model has a bright eyepiece and gives you a bigger view.

It’s just a matter of what you want, if possible get one with AO adjustment, as this is more use on an air rifle than something like a rim fire, and makes for easy focusing.

As for 30mm tube scopes they do tend to let more light through for models in the higher priced bracket.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
tommytanker
Quote:
Over time I have used most models of Hawk scopes and find that the higher the price the more goodies are added, but the basic scope is more than capable of standing up to other makes, and you should have no problem with the sport model. The Eclipse model has a bright eyepiece and gives you a bigger view.

It’s just a matter of what you want, if possible get one with AO adjustment, as this is more use on an air rifle than something like a rim fire, and makes for easy focusing.

As for 30mm tube scopes they do tend to let more light through for models in the higher priced bracket.

Lots of stuff to like and probably some stuff I am not qualified to operate.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
There is nothing you are not qualified to operate present on the scope described. If infantry can learn to work it, you can

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
tommytanker
toadmyster223 wrote:
There is nothing you are not qualified to operate present on the scope described. If infantry can learn to work it, you can

Thank you TM

Well next question is that SWFA got back to me on a price change for the "Hawke 4-16x50 Eclipse 30mm Riflescope" and I can pick up the eclipse for 208.65 shipped to me. Boy that's a lot of scope for that price.

Next question is will that actually fit on my HW50s it's 14 inches long and large 50mm objective lens will be a tight fit, I know I will need high mount, but will I also have to remove ths back sight and if so is it a big deal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Alstone
You will need medium to high mounts depending on the make, and the rear sight will have to be removed. One thing to check is to make sure that the front of the scope does not get in the way of the loading port.

Nice scope by the way.

Al

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
tommytanker
Alstone wrote:
You will need medium to high mounts depending on the make, and the rear sight will have to be removed. One thing to check is to make sure that the front of the scope does not get in the way of the loading port.

Nice scope by the way.

Al

Well a change of plan I did decide on different scope

Hawke Sport Optics EV 4-12x40 AO Panorama Scope, MAP 6A Reticle, 1/4 MOA, 1" Tube

Ordered the above, Thought it was a better look and still got more than I need. After thinking it over, decided length might just be a tad too much and did not want to go through sending it back etc.

Thanks for replies Al

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
tommytanker

Pic with new scope installed, nice great clarity. My 1st 12 power scope.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Very nice!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
tommytanker
Thank You

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
tommytanker
Alstone wrote:

Nice scope by the way.

Al

Update,
I have Eclipse ordered (backordered) I will move Panorama scope to my Whisper and mount Eclipse on HW50s

It will be a tight fit but hopefully it will work. All sights removed from gun. as per you instructions. The Pano is 12.7 inches and I have 2.25 inches to breech so loading should be a done deal.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
tommytanker
Eclipse update, (Eclipse delivered yesterday)

This morning shot 40 pellets with Whisper/Eclipse duo, not ready for full trio rating yet. At that point I was hitting quarter size ctr but had some inconsistencies. Decided to call it quits, in home I checked mount and had some loosening of mount and a tad loosening with rings. Definitely getting smarter cause now I check guns immediately when done (even loctited mounts)

I had not loctited anything cause I was more interested in checking out scope. The mounting surprise was the “AccuShot Airgun .22 Full Length Integral Hi-Profile Mount. It gave me great eye relief when mounted with the stop pin in only hole that would fit properly (just lucky I guess)

The Eclipse was also a very pleasant surprise for an old cynic. Another definite upgrade. Very pleased, another weird thing is when weighing 50s and Whisper they now both weigh in at 8.4 lbs. Believe it will help shooting a bit when both guns are same weight. Not positive, just a newbies guesstimate.

PS, had no touble with fit at all.

HAWKE SPORT OPTICS 3-9X 40 AO DUPLEX RETICLE BROKE DOWN. 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
wadcutter
Suspended
My new Hawke scope failed while I was sighting-in my new Stoeger .22 cal X-20 Suppressor Break-Barrel Springer.

After about 20 rounds, the reticle began to ROTATE inside the scope body!

I sent it back to Hawke and they sent me a new replacement scope, which I mounted and am now ready to repeat the sighting-in procedure.

When I get my Stoeger sighted in at 25 yards, I'll place it in my rifle display rack, where it may sit for weeks or even months before I take it out to break it in, if I ever do.

None of the 3 newer air rifles in my rack have ever been broken in...I just buy them, mount a scope on 'em, sight 'em in, and place them in the rack where they stay for as long as a couple years without being fired!

I'm the type of airgunner who prefers Owning and Displaying my guns to actually Using them!

From the top:
.22 cal Browning Leverage underlever springer, 20FPE
.22 cal Stoeger X-20 Suppressor breakbarrel springer, 16FPE
.20 cal Sheridan Blue Streak multi-pump (50 years old, never chronied it)
.177 cal Beeman R7 breakbarrel springer, 6FPE (A sweeeet shooter!)

Cheers,
WADCUTTER [Click to enlarge pix]
ADDING TO MY PREVIOUS POST: 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
wadcutter
Suspended
HEY...

I got my replacement Hawke scope, mounted it on my .22 cal. Stoeger X20S Suppressor, then sighted it in, then placed the rifle back in my rack where it'll stay for maybe months before I take the time to break it in...which may take a year, if ever!

"Shooting an airgun is fun, but OWNING one is even more satisfying!"

WADCUTTER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Maybe you should shoot it a bit more to determine if your replacement scope is going to crap out like the last one.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
Scope Info 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics