Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » BKL versus Leaper's mounts
BKL versus Leaper's mounts 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
tommytanker
I had assumed that Leapers if not top of the line was still a very good mount program.

Anybody using the very expensive BKL mounts, are they that good or is the added expense because they are made in the states.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Except for a true "specialty" mount- I think alot of company's (not saying any specifically here) may tend to play up the idea of mount "quality". As long as they meet proper specifications on consistency, hardness and square- I doubt any are alot better than another.

That being said, there are plenty of specialty mounts for mounting optics to specific guns (i.e. powderburners), specific sizes (i.e. 34mm rings for Millett LRS scopes) but I think the idea of a "specialty" mount on airguns is, for the most part, not applicable- "droop compensating mounts" can be avoided and one can shim a standard set of mounts if required. About the only thing I think is truly worthwhile on airgun mounts is for springers- such mounts should have a stop pin built-in.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
tommytanker
As a newbie I don't have a clue but indeed possible that it could be much ado about nothing.

I ordered a set of BKL's offset rings cause with the UTI compact scope I have the 1 pc mount (leapers etc) the rings are set too far apart.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I can't see why you would need a one piece mount unless you have a big heavy scope on a powerful springer. I don't have one-pieces on any of my rifles and I've never had a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
tommytanker
oddtodd wrote:
I can't see why you would need a one piece mount unless you have a big heavy scope on a powerful springer. I don't have one-pieces on any of my rifles and I've never had a problem.

Well OT, you are more fortunate than I am and probably a tad (or more) smarter.

The good news is I am learning and both springers and scopes are now functional. One with a one pc and other 2 pcs.

Problem I had is I'm not so good tightening stuff cause I end up breaking it. Loctite has helped a bunch.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I used to be a mechanical engineer before I ended up on disability Tommy. I have a lot of respect for tolerances and torque ratings. I used in/lb torque wrenches on everything I owned.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
tommytanker
Ok I received the BKL double strapped 2 pc mounts for 3/8 11mm dovetail. Problem is they will not slide onto the dovetail. You can't widen them at all. What is it I'm not seeing????

BKL 1" Rings, 3/8" or 11mm Dovetail, Double Strap, Offset,

I tried them on a Gamo stalker and Quest both have the 3/8ths 11mm dovetail.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
These rings? http://www.bkltech.com/BKL-1-Wide-Double-Strap-Offset-Dovetail-Rings-p/bkl-278.htm

You are aware you need to loosen the side clamps to install on the rail, then tighten them down once in place?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
tommytanker
One of these days I am gonna look/read the directions on something. Absolutely amazing, maybe it's an old school thing.

Anyway the scope is mounted and I love my Stalker. I had mounted a Gamo scope and at 15 feet last 5 shots were in dime bullseye. The gamo scope is a tad blurry so now that I have my UTG New Gen 3-9X32 Mini/AO CQB BugBuster Scope mounted (great clarity) I'm expecting the varmints will be moving off the property one way or another.

Well I got to bragging and went out this morning and on the 12th shot things went awry. and my BKL rings had slid backwards. I did not use any Loctite on them cause I really thought they would stay.

On to plan B, Leapers Accushot 1-Pc Bi-directional Offset Mount w/1 Rings, High, 11mm Dovetail, it does have a stop and leapers tape and this time I used Loctite tape.
BKL versus Leaper's mounts 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics