Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories » Building a home range
Building a home range 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:08 am Reply with quote
RacerX
I am putting together a pellet range. I have a good clear 10 meter area. And I have a pellet trap I made from steel.

The floor of my garage is split level. The front 25 feet is two feet Lower than the back 25 feet. Making a nice loading dock to push motorcycles into a van.

I am going to have a nice table at the shooter end. So I can shoot standing or bench rest. Then the trap at the other. I also have the option of opening the door to the garage. This gives me 100 yards to work with safely.

I want to compete in real competition shooting. ( not really) but want the range to be set up properly as if a was practicing for the Olympics.

Is there a standard for bench height and target height? Or a link to a rule book.
I am just fooling around in the garage. But any help will be appreciated. I did a couple searches but did not find specs.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
RacerX
This is my trap. It is bent together with a bench break. Kinda like a big vice you can adjust the width of the teeth. I used it for .177 for years. First shot te the Benjamin trail NP .22 put a huge dent in the back. So I am lining it with a steel plate. I toss the old targets in to help catch the bouncers.

Magnets hold the targets.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
I don't think there is a standard height, just as long as it is horizontally level with your shooting. Don't want to be shooting up or down at it

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
RacerX
Yes level seems right.

I need to make this as inexpensive as possible. I think for the back drop 20 or 30 dollars is the budget. Plus stuff I have.

I have room to make a swing down sheet to act as a back drop. I was thinking I could hang a sheet of plywood. Then a sheet of foam glued to that. Then a sheet of steel hanging loose but touching the foam. The pellets would bounce off the sheet and make a thud because of the loose hanging back drop.

I haqve the foam and plywood. I can get a car hood or roof from work. And I need to come up with a hanging bits. And a way to swing it up out of the way.

I was also thinking about the targets. Anyone ever make a target run?

priorities for a target run
1Cheap. I don't know what I would spend on that
2 fast. If I can walk 10 meters quicker than I will
3 it has to work. .

My first thought is a couple bicycles wheels. But then I spotted a garage door opener.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
10 meter airgun competition probably won't be from a bench, and the rules will depend upon the sanctioning body. For a start, here are the CMP three-position airgun rules:
http://www.odcmp.com/3p/rules.pdf

I just dug through my (2004) copy of the NRA "Range Source Book," and the blueprints for their shooting benches put the table top at 32" above the ground, if that's any help.

I have often thought of putting in a basement target run, but the complexity vs. walking 10 meters has always stopped me. It definitely would be cool, and as you mentioned my first thought would be junked bicycle parts.

My backstop is just a cardboard box with about 6" of newspaper layed in solid and flat at the back, and about 6" of crumpled newspaper in the front.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
RacerX
Thanks. That is what I have been looking for.

The bench I have is not to shoot from. But a place to put pellets and the gun as I walk 10 meters to reaffix the targets.

That is a paradox. Fiddling with a contraption. Or just walking down the line. Setting up two or three targets makes it even less appealing.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Another option for holding your stuff while you shoot offhand is a shooting stand:

You could use a camera tripod (I use one with my spotting scope and chronograph). Or maybe a heavy lamp from the second hand store. Or maybe PVC pipe.

http://www.bb-guns.org/championclubdeluxeoff-handshootingstandfinalematchpelletholder-py-a-3977.aspx
http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CC_OFFHAND_STAND___MAROON_W__22_CAL_AMMO_BOX-2121.aspx

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories