Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Design a new and improved QB78 !
Design a new and improved QB78 ! 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Anyone want to post some ideas for improvements to the Industry Brand QB78? This came up in another thread, and the rifle (a copy of the Crosman 160) has not had any changes to it, pretty much since it was first designed.

While it is a very good platform, and the QB78 price is probably the best overall value in airguns- it seems to be a bit "lacking" for many people and only those of us that don't mind a "classic" wood stock seem to purchase them.

I talk to the factory periodically, and tried to convince them that a re-design of the platform might bring it some new life. However, perhaps being a Chinese company, "innovation" is not part of their mindset. So, I was thinking- what if people come up with some re-design ideas that can be brought to them?

Personally, I was think a more modern, synthetic stock- perhaps along the lines of this SA-TA1 stock that is apparently made in Australia for the Remington 700 (but not in drab, black or charcoal maybe):

And maybe a nice Weaver rail on the top instead of the traditional dovetail.

Sights? Other ideas? What would make you go "ooohhhh, aahhh" in respect to a new design?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
A longer barrel engagement in the breech for more rigidity.... Beyond that, there are detail changes that could be made to make the gun more "mod-friendly" but maybe they couldn't care less about those.... If they are interested in a "bottle gun" for CO2 or HPA, using a 9 oz. tank or 13 CI regulated.... I think the way to go is reverse the tank block and put the tank under the main tube and use it as a foregrip.... That might suit a "tactical" style stock.... maybe a ventilated, triangular sleeve over the tank?....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
I just wish they shot a little hotter!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote
whm1974
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How about a deluxe with an 18" barrel? With open sights..

I myself do like the classic look. But maybe have some intenel improvements.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:55 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I second longer/stronger barrel to receiver engagement, and get rid of the barrel band to float the barrel. A little more power. Offer peep sights...and an HPA adapter kit with it so you can shoot it outdoors all year if you buy a pump.
Flush mount the stock screw so there is no hideous knob sticking out the bottom where you want to rest it.

Bayonet mount! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
In the UK we can buy AGS/ PC3 stocks on E-bay for less than $10.00, and with a bit of cut and shunting the QB works fit like a glove.

Othe mods I use are a power adjuster which retain the cock on close system, a longer reciver to make the barrel a more rigid fitt, modified trigger to give a semi two stage feel.

With a full polish of all the working bits and a bit of attension to the sears
and a good barrel it will be up there with the best in it's class.

Al

See Below for another use for a QBs internals

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Open sights are a good one. What if they made a set of Mauser-style military sights with windage and elevation adjusted to a reasonable range? :P That would be nifty.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
loki22
How about a standard HHD to increase shot count. Then change it to cock on open so that a power adjuster could be added for different uses (Hunting , Plinking, Target shooting etc.). Change the valve get rid of the screen and the cotton or whatever filter, replace the seal between the Barrel and Valve. A real 2 stage trigger in it that is fully adjustable without taking the stock off.
A nice stock like a Thumb Hole, pistal type or even a tactical type. There are so many things that could be done. Only problem is the Price would go sky high and no one would buy it. So leave it alone and let people do their own mods and have fun after all for a lot of us winter will come.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Gippeto
Late to the discussion, but there are a few things I would change.

Largely on the same page as loki....

One piece valve and retaining ring....and a delrin poppet...thusly....

Cock on open would be nice, and save me the trouble. Laughing

Read others post about barrel/breech engagement. Would prefer tighter tolerances as well, but that would drive the price up.

Get rid of the o-ring grooves on the barrel and use a metal transfer port with o-ring seals top and bottom.

Do away with the loading ramp (barrel half milled away) and use a pellet tray to carry pellet to the chamber...and cover the forward breech mount screw.

Trigger with a drop sear...preferably adjustable two stage. Even if it needed "cleaning up", as long as the potential is there.

A "scope" version without irons and the holes to mount them....I scope my rifles and don't like the extra holes.

A .25cal option....can you say "factory barrels"?? Wink

Al

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Very nice Al, but what's inside I’m very interested ?

Al

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Gippeto
Inside the valve?

1"x .083" 4130 tube with the guts pictured above. Mounted a .25 top end for sh1ts n giggles.

24" .25 TJ's barrel, 25.4gr JSB Kings, 3000psi fill.

With no effort made to tune it, string started at 955fps, climbing to a peak of 1020fps and I stopped at 17 shots and 957fps where hammer bounce was getting bad. SSG needs some fine tuning....

12 shots in the middle @ 1000fps or more. Smile

Will be looking for 5-6 "good" shots from the .30 top end once complete.

Al

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Very nice! I will have to have a play with your design this winter, and see how I get on.

Cheers
Al

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:16 am Reply with quote
hojoos
A longer barrel engagement in the breech for more rigidity.... Beyond that, there are detail changes that could be made to make the gun more "mod-friendly" but maybe they couldn't care less about those.... If they are interested in a "bottle gun" for CO2 or HPA, using a 9 oz. tank or 13 CI regulated.... I think the way to go is reverse the tank block and put the tank under the main tube and use it as a foregrip.... That might suit a "tactical" style stock.... maybe a ventilated, triangular sleeve over the tank?....
Design a new and improved QB78 ! 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles