Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Picture Gallery » 2240 carbine project Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Please disregard all measurements on my drawing as they are all off by +/-.007. I will post a corrected drawing once I have completed the breech.

Today 5th coat of danish oil and is starting to look nice.

I also completed drilling for the barrel and bolt on both breeches. I also discovered a critical but fixable mistake. While I was paying attention to centering the drill and making sure I had enough meat for the shroud. I forgot to account for the Marauder clips depth into the breech. This left the breech almost cut in half the way I was going. The solution turn the part upside down and re do the radius for a 3rd time. This leaves me with a lil less meat on top of the breech but should still look fine and functional when I am done.

I am currently waiting to see if I am scooping up a $700 DRO for $140. A DRO is a digital read out for a lathe or milling machine . Its a very nice and crucial piece of equipment if you want to do precision work. I'll know more tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ok had some setbacks. Mainly I thought stuff was precise and I thought wrong. Waiting on edge finder so I can complete the breeches. Decided not to try anything else with them as it needs to be precise.

However got coat number 8 of danish oil on the stock and finished one bolt. Made the probe part about .010 longer than the original. I will do the second bolt after I see how this one performs in the new breech.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ok stock is finished for now. I will have to re do the fore arm when I add the multi shot receiver. Also completed all my drilling on both receivers. Tomorrow is the most critical part of the receivers, milling the slot for the multi shot ammo clip.

More to come....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Big Ern
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looking good!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
rrdstarr
Looks very nice! I too am in the process of making my breech. Not a complex repeater like you are making. Making from .75 6061 aluminum.

Love the wood muzzle break! I might steal that idea, and give you credit when I do, when build the stock for my carbine.

-Rick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanx Rick

Feel free to borrow any idea.

The breech is almost done, it is ready for test firing as soon as it warms up.

Once test firing and operation is sure fire, I plan to make few extra and sell them so I can do some upgrades to my mill and lathe. I am also awaiting a new switch for the lathe as it is down at the moment :-(

I am debating if I would use aluminum again, I think Crosman went with steel to have a smoother bolt action. I will know after the anodizing is done.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:40 am Reply with quote
rrdstarr
I think I will do another breech, but it will have steel core and aluminum sleeve. I get what you mean Zip by the "gritty" feeling on an aluminum breech. The BNM Breech I have is great but it feels a little bit gritty. I will take a brass lap to it to take some of the gritty feeling it has. May have to make an oversize bolt but hopefully not!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am thinking that anodizing will take care of the gritty feel as it will harden the skin of the aluminum. Sherline makes a milling machine that is aluminum so it is feasible that anodized aluminum make decent slide material. But raw aluminum is soft and likes to catch.

just waiting on the switch to come in for my lathe, I might also have to order a capacitor for it seeing that I have been using the wrong one for 4 years .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
airgunwarriors
Slavia wrote:
The wood on the brake is a nice touch. You don't see that very often.

I'm new to the Forum and a bit late to comment, but I agree...that wood accent is insanely awesome/beautiful/sweet!

WOW!

Happy/Safe Shooting! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
airgunwarriors
ZipSnipe wrote:
Ok stock is finished for now. I will have to re do the fore arm when I add the multi shot receiver. Also completed all my drilling on both receivers. Tomorrow is the most critical part of the receivers, milling the slot for the multi shot ammo clip.

More to come....

Again, i know that this is an older thread, but i'm very impressed with your work/skills, ecspecially the fact that you are making fabricating your own parts for a Repeater!

Would be soooo awesome to find someone that could/would make Custom Repeaters for the public/me!

Happy//Safe Shooting!Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanx for the interest, its been a lot of work. Especially re building my milling machine. Pretty much done , so this project will get started back up soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
T191032
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very cool stock. Like that wood-accent brake idea.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanx , I got it all put away in a box that I look at every other day saying I need to get back to it. It was very challenging. I see why so many start it and then either quit or put it off. But one of these days I will start it back up again. .....I hope

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Picture Gallery