Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » Daddy's Day Gift Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Daddy's Day Gift 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 4027
Location: Tatorville, USA
Carrie is the greatest! She knows what Daddy likes! TOOOOOOLS!

I swear she takes mental notes. I've been looking at this spin index for months as an alternative of using the rotary table to speed up production.

She asked what was the most common size bar stock I use awhile back while doing the books and making a spread sheet for materials.

She got all the collets I will use in the shop up to the 1" bore of the index, plus a adjustable stop that goes in the collets to take the guess work out of setting the depth on the material.




_________________

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 327
Aah man I am jealous!!!!!! Spin indexer I always wanted one!!!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 4027
Location: Tatorville, USA
Grizzly Tools... About $100 with the collets.

I just ordered one more Collet for one of the parts I make.

It's all mounted up on the mill and DAMN! Much more stable then the Rotary Table ever was.

No more 9 turns just to go 45*.

Super easy to find TDC. The spring loaded depth stop works awesome!

I drilled two 3/8" holes 1.1" from center to line up perfectly with the T-Slots in the mini-mill to eliminate the need for other hold downs.

Squared the base to the T-slots
Locked her down
Centered my edge finder to the mark on the dial.
I put a 10" piece of bar stock in a collet and ran my edge finder right down the middle the full length and it's dead on.
Turned it 180* and still dead on.

How the Eff did I do this before? I'm sold and the whole thing cost less than the rotary table set up with chuck.





It's very friendly with my 16mm Drill Chuck. You can snake right up to the clamped edge without running into chuck jaws...


I think it's time for a DRO kit since I am doing more precision work these days. I'm tired of counting turns!

_________________

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
Such a nice set up!...Tool porn.. Razz

_________________
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 4027
Location: Tatorville, USA
Before I go DRO, I'll be replacing the Modified Mini-lathe with 10x22 with a 1" through spindle lathe.

Anyone just starting out should at least go for this one.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602

I spent more on mods, upgrades and keeping the mini alive than what this one is delivered to your door.

_________________

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
Thumb Up!

_________________
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 327
I sooo want a a DRO but man they are expensive!! But makes manual milling sooo much easier. Keep us posted on the shop upgrades!!!!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Thats a nice tool Joe you should get many hours of fun out of that.

Keep up the good work!

Al

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 4027
Location: Tatorville, USA
Thanks Al,

It's on deck for some production work this week. I'm just waiting on a 5/8" Collet to arrive so I can do the Stock Adapter mounts for the 13xx models.

Funny how a mechanical mind works. I had a hard time sleeping last night.
Too many different ways to use this puppy in production rolling around in my head...

I have a feeling that I'm going to get more use out of my mill than I expected.

_________________

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Joe that's an awesome production gadget. I'm of course using ye ol rotary and chuck...which likes to occupy half of my 22" table.

How would you index tube in that I wonder???? bushing inside tube and collet?

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 4027
Location: Tatorville, USA
I stuck a 2250 tube in it and locked it down. No dimension change or deformation.

I was checking out some YouTube vids on tips. Some guys mount a vice inline and also clamp the longer work for a even more stable work piece.

Pffft! who needs formal training when you got YouTube? Real guys in the real world not a class room teaching theory...

Ya can send a boy to college but you can't make him think... Faq-U Public Education

Okayyyy I'll step off my soap box now...

_________________

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 4027
Location: Tatorville, USA
FYI, I had Greg make me some longer T-Nuts that are threaded on one end so I can use the whole bed length... pretty slick when you can mount a fixture on the very end of the table.

_________________

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
You mean long as in 2" of slot length?

Sounds intriguing...gotta pic?

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
yourdaddyjoe wrote:

Anyone just starting out should at least go for this one.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602



Boy that lathe looks awfully familiar

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/METAL-LATHE-12IN.-X28IN.-WITH-DIGITAL-READOUT.html

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 4027
Location: Tatorville, USA
SMP wrote:
You mean long as in 2" of slot length?

Sounds intriguing...gotta pic?


They were fluting a barrel in the pic. So I imagine a 2" slot would not be an issue.



Ha, it's on a airgun blog...
http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/heavy-barrel-sleeve-for-bam-b26-2-part_03.html

_________________

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Daddy's Day Gift 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.