Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » AirGunHome Q&A » SITE ATTRACTIONS!!! edit : what else can be done???
SITE ATTRACTIONS!!! edit : what else can be done??? 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The outdoorsman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
does anyone agree that we should make this site better? I created this thread to deticate to any ideas that could help premote this great site Exclamation

perhaps if any of you are on other sites that are airgun related then you can put in a good word about it? thats how i herd of it.

now i don't know how hard it is to change parts of the site but what if we thought about new forum topics in the index Question

just thinkin out loud here but what if we separated hunting and target shootin topics

if i can think of any others i will post but just imagine in stead of the forum having 300 odd menbers think about 1000 odd members Wink that would rock Light Sabre Fight

Last edited by The outdoorsman on Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shooting Pistols

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
If people think of something they might find useful- post it up.

Other topic areas can be created anytime- of course the hunting topic saw virtually no action (except Stevie's rat kills) until recently- which may be seasonal due to many country's hunting laws. That being said- it may get separated anyways if more hunting topics appear and the shooting competition takes off and starts to dominate that area.

One thing to remember of course is that airgunhome has only been "live" since late January of this year- so we've done pretty good in respect to membership. Many forums that concentrate on a specific geographic region do well, and the ones that have been around for many years tend to do allright due to their longevity. We are, for all intents and purposes, swimming along pretty good. For example- we have well over 200 "unique" visitors to the site every day, some days over 300 (and this number goes up pretty consistently)- so it seems alot of people are looking/watching but may take awhile to start to get involved.

But yes, things can/do get re-arranged periodically. For example, I'm slowly putting together a page of airgun-related calculators and converters (i.e. for energy and velocity calculations and such), a proper "links" page needs to be constructed- and then some of the forum needs to be re-arranged. The paintball/airsoft area could likely be eliminated- it's doesn't really see any activity. Same thing for the "links" area- if I get a webpage together for it- no need to have an entire forum category for it too.

So- we'll wait a bit and see about the separation of hunting vs. target shooting, and a bit more of a clean-up of the other topic categories.

If anyone thinks of anything else that would be useful- be sure to post it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
dedpool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
this is just me being picky since im bored but I think "The BS topic" could have a cooler name. Make it something creative like "the clubhouse" or "the watering hole" or "R&R" or something like that. you've got the description underneath so people shouldnt have a problem figuring out what that forum is for no matter what its called. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:10 am Reply with quote
The outdoorsman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
dedpool wrote:
this is just me being picky since im bored but I think "The BS topic" could have a cooler name. Make it something creative like "the clubhouse" or "the watering hole" or "R&R" or something like that. you've got the description underneath so people shouldnt have a problem figuring out what that forum is for no matter what its called. Smile

ya i like the club house Exclamation

Shooting Pistols

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote
dedpool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
or you could rename BS topic "down range"

you could also call the picture gallery the "trophy room"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
The outdoorsman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
dedpool wrote:
or you could rename BS topic "down range"

you could also call the picture gallery the "trophy room"

nice ideas you should take them into consideration air gun eric

Shooting Pistols

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks for the tip- I'm waiting to see what else people come up with here. Maybe we could change the name of BS Topics, but we'll probably run a vote on whether to do it, and if so, what name should be used. Please- don't run off and create a poll on it just yet- let's wait and see what else pops up here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:20 am Reply with quote
The outdoorsman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
for the picture gallery the gun rack Question

come on guys lets have some more ideas Idea

Shooting Pistols

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
The outdoorsman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
would it be possible to make a forum about hunting equiptment and general gear?

I mean that we could talk about knives, clothing, optics and specialty items ( thing you use that others probably don't) i.e machete... we could also write about pellet holders bi pods ect...
i know we have an accsesories forum but this will be different

Just something to think about.

Shooting Pistols

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sub-dividing everything becomes problematic after awhile. Does one put a topic about a scope in "accessories" or in "target shooting" or "hunting" depending on their specific application? With the current guidelines- it is an "accessory" and it's not too hard to figure out where to place it, or for people to find it. Sub-dividing even more than this only tends to confuse people and cause other issues.

Have you ever looked at really successful online forums (not just airgun stuff)? If you really investigate, more than 50% of posts tend to end up in one or two areas- no matter how many sub-divisions are available. In fact, if you pay attention- it starts to become interesting in that the more topic areas a site seems to have, the more people place their questions and posts in only one or two "generic" forums because they just can't figure out which of the others would be best, or don't want to spend 20 minutes thinking about it.

Frankly, I think we may have too many topic areas already based on content. If we were to have a pile of people here who want to talk about a specific manufacturer's product line (for example, say Crosman, or AirForce) areas for that might be created- and it might even be possible that some day "accessories" could drop scopes and sights into it's own area- but until we have alot more posts and alot more active members- adding more won't contribute anything, IMO.

I'm not dismissing your suggestions- but until we have a large number of active members- for example maybe a couple hundred that post regularly and we can see patterns to activity and people's opinions on things- re-arranging for the sake of it will likely be more counterproductive than useful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quote
The outdoorsman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
could we use it as a sticky? it could just be a large topic. Mabe that doesn't make a difference..
i know i would keep it gowing.i have a fasination with many other aspects of the outdoors and hunting, not just guns.

Shooting Pistols

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
dedpool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Eric on this one, that would be too much. I think you definitely have all your bases covered with the hunting section and the BS topic. The BS topic really does not have to be only about jokes and nonsense topics. It would be great if we had more serious threads in there like about knives or stuff in the news, or what kinda cigars are good, whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Personally I find "Optics" a nice subcategory.

Test/Reviews as a subcategory might be usefull too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
broommaster2000 wrote:
Personally I find "Optics" a nice subcategory.

Test/Reviews as a subcategory might be usefull too.
Optics and mounts are always a tough subject when dealing with drooped barrel springers. I have lots of tests and reviews I should catalog, lunch break just isn't long enough though. Rolling Eyes
SITE ATTRACTIONS!!! edit : what else can be done??? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » AirGunHome Q&A