Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Picture Gallery » My Newest: Crosman Quest (B18/19)
My Newest: Crosman Quest (B18/19) 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Finally arrived. A bit heavy- but for a Magnum-capable gun it's not bad. This is the .177 cal, not the .22

And yes, that is a Crosman plain 4032 scope, not springer-rated and has the wrong mount rings (needs a 1" raised set to clear the front sight)- it was used for the pictures- gun looked too "plain" without it! Bipod is also one of the $10 Ram-Line units- not my favorite but it's easy to pull on/off for using the break-barrel.

Stock color is alot lighter than I expected and has a fairly high-gloss finish on it, so I may get to changing that someday.

Oh- and shut up about my funky deck colors- it was all paint remnants I had laying around to protect the wood over the winter and use as a base for the final color. Yes- that is an industrial orange. Run Away

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Now that I've been toying with this gun for the last three days, I thought I'd throw in some more information:

The gun is reasonably accurate, I do most of my shooting from 12m/35 and 35m/100ft just because these are convenient distances around my house. Rifle will shoot groupings within an inch at 100ft- but that's probably more my, than the rifle's fault.

It will launch 7.9g Crosman wadcutters quite sharply- but obviously they are tumbling quite a bit and aren't as accurate as pointed pellets at the 100' mark. Gun seems to like Beeman Kodiak 10.6g heavy pellets- but I've only shot maybe a dozen of them so far- so this isn't terribly conclusive. I did note, however that the Kodiaks are a very tight fit in the barrel. I also didn't chrony the Kodiaks to see if any excessive velocity was lost compared to the 7.9g's beyond what would be expected because of the weight.

I got this gun Used- according the the seller only a couple hundred pellets were put through it (I've put another 50 or so through it so far) and there's been no barrel sag or shift yet, although it is a bit too early to be expecting that. But based on other people's experiences, I'm planning to make some brass barrel bushings for it eventually to replace the plastic that's there now.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Well, I was fiddling around with the Quest again tonight- trying to see if I could cover the front sight a bit to eliminate the fiber-optic green dot that was appearing in the scope view ever-so-slightly. So, I got rid of the green dot by covering the rear of the sight, but now have a tiny bit of shadow at the very bottom of the scope window- I still need to order a set of high-rise mount rings. I thought I'd use the Crosman 4032 and see how long it takes to fall apart from the spring recoil- don't have anything else to put that sight on right now anyways.

I also decided to check all the screws (stock and trigger guard) that are exposed- and holy crap- all were loose. It wasn't bad enough that you could feel things wobble- but tightening the stock screws definetly smoothed cocking the gun out a bit. I don't know what/how many times the previous owner may have had the gun apart, or if recoil/vibration loosened them- but something to watch out for and/or put them in with a low-strength LocTite to avoid them coming loose on their own.

One problem with the overall design- Crosman used a small (#6-ish) Phillips ('+') screw for the forward end of the trigger guard and there's not much wood in the part of the stock behind it- so it was stripped before I got to it. I put a tiny amount of outdoor wood glue on the screw before putting it back and setting it in- but this is something that needs improvement.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
For anyone not familiar with the Quest, or wanting to do some tuning, look here:

http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?p=1003

There's some pics of the parts inside- and I think the topic, generally, is worthwhile to read. Shrug

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Eric Your Quest Looks good 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote
BBGun Bob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I did not like the light color stock on mine either. I took some 600 sand paper smoothed it down a little(try not to go thru the stain they have on it).,I know wood stain is a little to dark for me so I rubbed it down with brown liquid shoe polish on an old rag.2 coats darkened it to my liking then I shot clear high gloss polyurathane over it.I have a fetish for shinny stuff,,especially women in shiny nylons Embarassed
Just an idea if you want to change the color.You can always wipe off the shoe polish with alcohol if ya get it to dark or are not satisfied with the color you end up with.Heres mine after dye job. Its a 1000X .177.I wish I would have gotten the .22. The 1000 is a little to fast in .177 I slowed it down a little for accuracy,it worked too! Shoots got and straight now.
Later Pal
BBGun Bob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Wow! Shiny stuff there Bob!
Definitely a nice finish on your Quest 1000X .177, Just have to keep it shiny now you've shined it lols! Do you plan to remove the Rear and maybe the front sight from it as you use the scope instead?

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
BBGun Bob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No Steve I do not plan on removing the iron sights.There really not in the scope picture enough to bother me.If there was a problem sighting thru the scope off they would come.I can see a little in the bottom of the scope but it does not effect targeting.
Yea I know now I have to keep it clean now but I carry a wipe down rag in my gun case so when I am finished playing cowboys and tin cans I just wiper down! Headshot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hey Bob!

Just personal preference whether you keep the original irons sights on or not then really, I just have a habit of removing anything non functional from things lols!

Stevie Thumb Up!

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Picture Gallery