Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » leaving Co2 in gun
leaving Co2 in gun 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
donec
Has anyone found they have caused damage to their seals or some other part by leaving Co2 in their gun when storing it? I am not worried about the Co2 being gone due to leaking out just damage caused by leaving the half full cartridge in the gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can't swear to it, but I've always heard that CO2 will corrode seals. Itry not to leave CO2 guns charged more than a day or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
deadrats
I leave em in for weeks. If that ruins the seal, so be it. I'll buy a new seal once every so often, but i'm not removing co2's every time i intend not to use it for any length of time. Sometimes i go after a rat and end up taking a shot or 2 or even none, then not use it for a week. I'm not going to throw away cartridges every few shots....i'll cost a lot more than a seal replacement now and then. imagine at around $.75-$1 for every few shots. nope. i'll chance the seal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That makes sense too.

I have a precharged that I keep pressurised (which is what manufacturers reccomend for pcp guns) and that's what I usually go for when I want to pop rodents. I only have a couple of CO2 guns and none of them is really my go-to critter getter. If it were, I'd probably leave it charged and just fix it when it breaks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:38 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
I find that leaving Co2 in a gun such as a QB78 which holds the Co2 in a pressure tube is no problem, mine has been constantly charged for the last three years, with no problem regarding seals.

On the other hand something like a Crosman 2240, which retains the Co2 in the Co2 Capsule by pressing the Capsule against a seal I find in time the seal loses its resilience, and needs time to reform periodically.

There is another type of seal and this uses an O ring around the neck of the Capsule to seal it, as on some Umarex products this can be left charged indefinitely with no problems.

The above only applies to 12g Co2 capsules, also when a silicon lube is applied with each capsule.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
donec
Alstone wrote:
On the other hand something like a Crosman 2240, which retains the Co2 in the Co2 Capsule by pressing the Capsule against a seal I find in time the seal loses its resilience, and needs time to reform periodically.

Al
Thanks for the info Al. Will the seal reform by it's self or does something need to be done and about how long does it take for the seal to reform?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
donec wrote:
Alstone wrote:

Al
Thanks for the info Al. Will the seal reform by it's self or does something need to be done and about how long does it take for the seal to reform?

I don't keep the 2240 charged more that a two weeks, then leave it for a day to allow the seal to recover. it seems to work ok for me as it is used regularly.

The thing is to keep the seals lubricated with silicon, this stops the seal from drying out and absorbing Co2.

I have a three year old Umarex CP88 which uses the same seal system as a 2240, which I lent to my son for a year. He tells me he kept it charged most of the time, some times for a couple of months with out discharging it. and it seems to be ok and still holds a charge.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
deadrats
Is pellgun oil not as good for that as silicone?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I leave mine charged all the time. Both my daisy and crosman pistols are all charged constantly. All of my 22xx's are fully charged and on my 2240 pistol it's been mostly charged more than not for the last 10 years. I figure that the CO2 has to be keeping the system dry and dust free. that and with the pellgun oil on the top of the powerlet it won't rust either.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
Slavia
This question comes up frequently, for both CO2 and pneumatic guns. The only explanation that ever made sense to me is that in a single or multiple pump pneumatic with a valve that stays open on discharge, you want to store it with a little pressure to keep the valve closed. This prevents contaminants from entering the gun.

A quick check of the Crosman manuals for the C11 and 2240 shows that Crosman recommends removing the capsule. For the 2240: "Do not store your airgun with a CO2 cartridge in it. If you know you will not be using your airgun for an extended period of time, empty the CO2 cartridge and remove it from the airgun. (See Section 3A) This is very important to remember, as it will prolong the longevity of your airgun seals."

But then on the other hand I've never heard anyone say, "Oh yah - I wrecked my seals by leaving that thing in there."

My 2240 is stored without the capsule, simply because I usually shoot the whole thing in one sitting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Slavia wrote:
This question comes up frequently, for both CO2 and pneumatic guns. The only explanation that ever made sense to me is that in a single or multiple pump pneumatic with a valve that stays open on discharge, you want to store it with a little pressure to keep the valve closed. This prevents contaminants from entering the gun.

A quick check of the Crosman manuals for the C11 and 2240 shows that Crosman recommends removing the capsule. For the 2240: "Do not store your airgun with a CO2 cartridge in it. If you know you will not be using your airgun for an extended period of time, empty the CO2 cartridge and remove it from the airgun. (See Section 3A) This is very important to remember, as it will prolong the longevity of your airgun seals."

But then on the other hand I've never heard anyone say, "Oh yah - I wrecked my seals by leaving that thing in there."

My 2240 is stored without the capsule, simply because I usually shoot the whole thing in one sitting.

I only shoot mine once or twice a day, so it would cost me a fortune in CO2 to do that. I do get 40 packs of CO2 though so it isn't that bad. meiers stores around me sell them for 16 bucks. My 2400 also is always charged up too.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics