Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories » Can a silly idea really work?
Can a silly idea really work? 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
I was reading the threads where some folks have made ag rifle cams with great interest, wishing I could do that myself.

If I could do it myself, how would I go about improving the design? If so, what would I do, or what could I do?

My first thoughts were, could one take one of those diy hobbby camera's folks seem to be sticking in everything from modle trains to r/c helicopters these days. They're light and easily mountible just about anywhere. Then take a small hand help lcd tv, the kind they seel for less then $100 at radio shack. Take that apart and wire the two back together inside a rectangular box that can be mounted on a rifle.

I can see this arrangement working, but with one drawback. No ablity to focus like a normal scope would.

So my next thought was taking a digital camera apart and remouting that inside a simlar type arrangement. This way you have focus and all that, but now you could even record! Last thing to do would be to fashion a cap to go over the lens with cross hairs on it. And you'd be all set!

What do you all think so far???

Well, if that could be made to work, couldn't this whole thing be built to also be a day/night scope. Could take one of those night vision monoculars that are sometimes on sale for $100 and work that into the scope "box" as well.

Well, as I said this is just a silly idea of mine. The odds myself or anyone for that matter would build such a think are slim to nill. But it is fun to dream, eh???

Jaxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
just hold off a few yers jax...they will have
them small enough to mount on the pellet... Laughing

Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
kanyon wrote:
just hold off a few yers jax...they will have
them small enough to mount on the pellet... Laughing

What he said Laughing

Jaxom wrote:
Well, as I said this is just a silly idea of mine. The odds myself or anyone for that matter would build such a think are slim to nill. But it is fun to dream, eh???

Well Jax...I haven't been blessed with an electronically gifted mind,but,I'm sure some of coolest inventions out there started as a "silly" idea.... Wink
I'm not much help here,but would like to see some others chime in on this...Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Bozo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not really so silly an idea, but maybe making it harder than need be. Just find a camera that has a socket for a tripod screw, then mount such a screw (1/4 x 32. IIRC) on the rifle in an appropriate place, which shouldn't be too tough, and you've got it. You could have it looking through the scope, or over it, or next to it. If said camera also takes a cable release (much harder to find), then it wouldn't be too tough to rig the cable release so the rifle and the camera would fire at the same time. Assuming the camera has an LCD viewing screen (pretty much universal now), use a screen protector and a very sharp permanent marker to make the reticle of your choice (they wouldn't show up on the picture this way, which might not be what you want). If you want the camera to take the place of the scope, you'd need to fabricate a mount that had micrometer adjustments for zeroing, which wouldn't be too tough if you're handy. Some of the new small camcorders are small, light, and have a form factor that would lend themselves to replacing a scope, along with a high zoom factor. There are pocket sized still cameras that would be slim enough to fit easily behind a scope and look through it.

It would be interesting to find out if the cameras could stand up to the recoil of a springer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
Jaxom
I see what you're saying bozo, that would look sorta odd having a camera mounted on a rifle. But it would be doable right now. Would have to use a once piece scope mount and tap it just like you said in order to mount the camera.

Kanyon,

I don't doubt it. There's a website with all sorts of electronic goodies called Amazin1.com. They have a "button" cam. Where the minture video camera is mounted inside a fake shirt button. Wired or wireless!

I thought of another feature for the "hypo" electronic scope. Since the pcb's all the circuts for these gadgets keep getting smaller and smaller, a scope sized box would have ample space to also include a range finder. So I'd some how like to inlcude one of those as well. Only after using a demo one at BassPro, the range appears inside the view finder of the gadget, would ahve to figure out how to get that to appear "on screen" of said hypo scope.

Some other "dream" ideas I wish folks would work on...

Gamo came out with an ag shotgun, from what folks have said around here, it wasn't that good. Nice concept though, perhaps a better company could pick the idea up?

Another idea, when will we see the first ag using a carbon fiber gas tube? Imagine how many shots or the power that could be achieved if the gas tubes could handle 4500 psi!?

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories