Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Need some newbie help with my new air rifle
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Need some newbie help with my new air rifle 
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
slusk
New Member
New Member
Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3
Hi all. I just bought my first air rifle, a Crosman Phantom 1000, and I have a few questions. I've read many posts on barrel cleaning and there seems to be many differing opinions on this subject. FIrst, do I need to run a clean patch through to remove any manufacturing debris and preservation oil? second, do I ever really need to clean the barrel and if so with what? Crosman says to only use RMCOIL, others say,clean patch only, and some still say, leave it alone unless your groups widen out. Crosman also says to put a drop of RMCOIL in the compression chamber and alot of people seem to say NOOOOO!! LOL

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Steve
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
Welcome to AGH.

Most people agree over one thing. Patches only. For simplicity, I won't go into my uses of bore brushes.

Use a non-petroleum based lubricant/cleaner on a clean patch. The use of a COATED (nylon, plastic, what have you) ram rod, or a pull through (such as weed whacker line with a ball on the end, use a lighter). Ammonia, Windex, Pellgun Oil. All good to use. Should only require one or two drops on the patch. Push/pull through, use a clean patch every time.

I would pull about 5 patches through with oil, then a dry one to see how much crap is left in the barrel (shades of grey). Continue cleaning till patches come out white.

Use silicone (non aerosol, to avoid petroleum products) in the chamber. Wait until you have gone through at least 1,000 pellets to lube the chamber.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:25 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
To expand on Fritz's comment, RMCOIL is silicone oil, and only for use in the chamber, not to lube joints, clean the barrel, etc. (you can use it for this, but it's pricey and regular 3-In-1 oil will work). You might as well lube the chamber with the silicone oil (just a drop or two) after cleaning the barrel- it won't hurt anything and you never know what might be going on inside the rifle.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
RMCOIL is silicone oil, and only for use in the chamber, not to lube joints

Correct. I have heard that silicone is good on synthetics (like the piston seal) but not so good for metal-to-metal contact.

Quote:
do I need to run a clean patch through to remove any manufacturing debris and preservation oil?

Since it's an easy procedure and can't hurt anything, I would do it. You never know what kind of crud is in there when you start out.

Quote:
do I ever really need to clean the barrel and if so with what? Crosman says to only use RMCOIL, others say,clean patch only, and some still say, leave it alone unless your groups widen out.

Shoot it until you lose accuracy, and then clean it. You won't have the high temperatures, pressures, or powder residue like in a powder burner.
I agree with fritz about methods and chemicals. Check this out:
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=1954&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Keep in mind that it can take up to a thousand rounds to get the thing broken in. During that time you can be experimenting with different kinds of pellets (your gun may have a preference). You'll also be learning the "artillery hold," which is to say you hold the gun as lightly as possible while still maintaining control.

When the urge to modify hits, remember that the Phantom is the same as the G1, Storm, Summit, Quest, Vantage, and Chinese B18/19. Anything you read about those models will apply to your gun.

Have fun with it.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote
packrat
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 16 Nov 2009
Posts: 882
Location: Out in the woods...Ellabell, GA.
Slusk-- Welcome! glad you found us.....I would say when in doubt, follow the manufacturer's recommendations>>..ONE THING for sure...always clean a Crosman barrel (the bore) before firing pellets through it!! I have bought several new Crosman pistols and rifles and every one of them without exception, was filthy dirty.....

_________________
HEY !! This getting old thing is NOT for sissies...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
slusk
New Member
New Member
Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3
Great, thanks for all the info! I do have a couple more questions now. I read the link to the other post and one person said to clean from breech to muzzle, and teh other said to pull from muzzle to breech. Which is better? LOL also, do you have to buy patches made specifically for a .177 cal airgun or can you buy other cleaning cloth and trim it to size?

Thanks again!

Steve
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
donec
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 836
Location: central Texas Pflugerville area
Steve, if you use the weed eater plastic line and a patch then it will not matter which direction you go other than if you go from muzzle to breach then there is a chance of getting debris in the mechanism. So with that method I feel the best would be to clean from breach to muzzle. If you use a cleaning rod then you must be careful not to damage the muzzle if you start from the muzzle so again it seems to me that starting from the breach is best again. Some air guns can not be cleaned from the breach with a cleaning rod since the access to the breach is too tight to allow the insertion of the cleaning rod those type guns must be cleaned either with a flexible line and patch from either end or from the muzzle using a cleaning rod. You can buy other cloth and trim to size if you want to put out the effort but the patches are so inexpensive I find it easier to buy them. I guess I'm just lazy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
Why is this even being debated? Dead Horse

Always clean from breech to muzzle. Unless otherwise unfeasible.

Bore brushes: No... except in special cases when a NYLON brush may be used. Of course, with a NYLON or otherwise plastic covered ramrod.

The best way is already posted, weed eater line from breech to muzzle. That would mean putting the pull-through in first from the breech.

Mr. Green

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
donec
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 836
Location: central Texas Pflugerville area
It's not being debated it's being explained to someone new.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
My apologies. I was a little overly "enthusiastic".

So many times has this been asked (even just in my time on the forum). Maybe a basic springer-care guide could be posted and made a sticky? *nudge nudge Eric*

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
fritz wrote:
My apologies. I was a little overly "enthusiastic".

So many times has this been asked (even just in my time on the forum). Maybe a basic springer-care guide could be posted and made a sticky? *nudge nudge Eric*


You write it, I'll edit it and make a webpage out of it- even get your name on it so's you can show your friends. Mr. Green

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
I'll try to get one written up. MagicMan

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Need some newbie help with my new air rifle 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.