Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories » PCP Pump Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
packrat
Yeah, I went to the place I rented tank from and ordered a 100 cu ft 3500psi, guy said he only fills 'em to 3400??? anyhow I should have it Monday. The tank on Talon is 490cc I shot 85 on one fill,,,had power turned down though, that thing has got "high-techness"
Anyway Bob, I didn't have to e-mail you with another dumb-a$$ question..I actually figured that a 3000 psi wouldn't do me much good on the talon. Got the 13 cu in bottle today used the pump to get it to 1000...heck with that..I'll use it when I HAVE to..ONLY when I have to Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I am picking up another 80cf tank today... to replace one of my 60's... Another tip on SCUBA tanks... Don't use them to blow out your computer case or anything else... Specialy in the winter... The one I am replaceing developed a leak at the neck after doing so...[/quote]

Joe useing it to blow dust or what ever shouldn't/wouldn't
have coursed a leak.....useing yer tank is PADI & SSI recomeneded
way to blow water off yer reg set 1st stage before putting the water/dust cap on..done it for 20+ years with no probs along with every other diver...

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hey Pete,

Errrmmmm... short burst were okay by what the guys at the SCUBA shop said... You should have seen Guy's computer... Could have used the whole tank... he he he...

The old tank was pushing 20+ years and made by Kiddie... either way... it was due for replacement... Eventually I will have to replace the twin to it... I love doing the cascade system for filling my regulated pony tanks...

The Catalina tanks have a much thicker neck... Now I got a nice new pretty yellow one with tank net and boot... Razz OTD $200 with 1st fill free...

Leave the pumping to the younger guys... I wana shoot all day...

The old tank will go to the recyclers with the next aluminum scrap run from the shop.

Quick question? Since HPA is just compressed air... can it now be considered the "Green" thing to do in air gunning? Hell... it has no Co2 emissions... I know it does not attract Misquotes like using Co2...

"Shoot a tree"... they emit Co2 at night... and It's fun....

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hey Spring,

Do the pump if ya need the excersize... But it you like to shoot "All Day"... go with the Scuba tank set up.

You are not limited to SCUBA shops to do your fills... Most Paint ball shops and some fire stations will fill for you too... $6-8 bucks for a tank fill... beats pumping...

Scuba Tanks are far more reliable than pumps. Pony tanks are great for hunting... small enough for a day pack and 100's of shots...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Hey joe!

Since ya mentioned it, mebbe we all could get some special funding from Oby-wan for creating "green jobs"?

Just got a deal on craigslist today. Guy sold me his 80cu for $50. Still has 3 months on visual and 1 year on hydro. Fill was $5 @ 3500psi.

Sell a few more things and I'll be up n runn'! WOOOT!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jaxom wrote:
Hey joe!

Since ya mentioned it, mebbe we all could get some special funding from Oby-wan for creating "green jobs"?.......

Errrrrrmmm.... "Green Gun Jobs"... Some how... I don't think the lefty homies would fall for it... Then again... if I promised a percentage of my "Pimp" fees...

RE:hand pumps 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:04 am Reply with quote
packrat
I agree...let the young guys do the hand-pumping thing...The one I bought is a top=of=the=line pump, and what littl ei Used it I was impressed..when I woke up at 2 am the next morning cause my back was killing me...I was DEPRESSED...I go pick up my new, shiny blue, 100 cu ft 3,500 psi scuba tank....."the way to go, when you want air-flow"

edited to add...Need a hand pump??...see my ad in "For Sale" section

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
spring123
Well, the air leaked out of my Benjamin Marauder after 240 strokes from the Benjamin pump. I reread the manual and saw the paragraph that addressed my situation precisely. It said that when filling the Marauder from empty to 3,000 p.s.i. you must pull the bolt back and cock it and let it remain open so the air will not leak out and go down the barrel. So I refilled it back to 3,000 p.s.i. and cocked the bolt and waited. The air leaked out again only quicker this time. It reminds me of the time I bought a Williams Direct Vent 30,000 BTU natural gas heater. I installed it and I fired it up and I began to smell gas. It was leaking at the point where the pilot light gas supply tubing entered the combustion chamber. So I returned it to the Home Depot and bought another one. It leaked again. I sat on my bed and almost cried. I called Williams in Colma, California and they said, "We're aware of the leaking problem. If we send you a part, will you work on it?" I brought it back and bought a Perfection-Schwank heater that required a vent stack. When Perfection-Schwank went out of business, I bought an Empire brand heater. I wrote "AirForce" about the track record of the "TalonSS" and they basically evaded answering my question. Do ALL the PCP airguns leak? Do the UK "AirArms" leak? I called Pyramyd and they said send it back because it isn't supposed to leak. Pyramyd is paying the postage.

packrat wrote:
I just (day before yesterday) spent $289.99 for an FX Stage 4 pump for my TalonSS...I have it on good authority that there are some guys that use this pump and are very satisfied with it. Based on that, I spent my money..I've just spent probably 2-3 hours on line researching hand pumps of every brand name I could find..there's a member here that says the "HILL" brand is THE one to have, there are others that condemn it from the word go..Many that own the Benjamin pump (comes in kit with Discos /Mrods) say they are GREAT..one member here has one that he's used a LOT..he says "thumbs up"..another member here had one that failed after like 2 or 3 uses.. Point is you CAN buy one of high quality and dependability...seems though, that your chances are much greater of getting one that causes you grief, in short term usage.. I will mention this....seems that a LARGE majority of those that fail are in fact , in the $200.00 price range... I found very few instances of the FX brand failing, but they are by NO MEANS infallible...just seem to have a better "track record", as it were. I took all this in to account before spending my $$$ I intend to follow the accompanying instructions closely, and use the hell out of it..if it fails, I'll send it back and go the 4,500 SCUBA route..bad as I hate to. The Marauder, from everything I read , is a FANTASIC airgun..I personally wouldn't sell it due to hand pumps being mostly junk..I'm NOT gonna sell my TalonSS if the FX pump fails,nope...ain't gonna happen Mr. Green Of course this is just my opinion, and you know what THAT'S worth....

FX Stage 4 is $289.99 HILL is $286.41 just FYI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
packrat
Guess I'm not understanding the statement concerning TalonSS track record..I did a good bit of reading/research before I plunkeddown my $500.00+ to buy mine..If it's regarding leaking, I can tell ya this from first hand experience. mine has not leaked any since I bought it, at least none noticeable, and I checked it with warm soapy water, when I first got it. I also checked my self-converted hpa 2250 once it was built, with warm soapy water, no leaks there either...and it has a gauge, so I KNOW it does not leak.

I don't recall reading on this forum of any leakage problems with Mrods or Discos..and I've not read of any leak problems on the TalonTunes website either.....it could be that your luck is like mine...10,00 could buy ANy product and it would be perfect, I could buy that SAME product and it would catch on fire, leak, smell bad, not run, be missing parts or SOMETHING...know what I mean, Vern ?? Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I have had a couple of leaks at diferent times in the foster fitting...

Easy fix,,, Degass the gun, Remove the Foster fitting...
Clean the seal, Dab a bit of diver's grease on it...
New TFE tape on the threads and re-install... fill it up and check for leaks...
Done!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
spring123
To recap Pyramyd Air's sad story, I too researched the Benjamin Marauder. I wrote the experts, read and watched the testamonials and tutorials. Got the gun, pumped the gun and watched the gun leak. I did cock the gun as suggested in the manual but that didn't stop or even slow the leak at all. I did shoot it four times and was impressed with the lack of sound. However, I'm not willing to trade quiet for leaks. I should have got the gun in perfect condition because, guess what, my money is in perfect condition. I don't buy things new to work on them. I cannot help but wonder if other Marauders out there are leaking. I wonder why my Marauder failed at such a phenomenal rate. Well, my Marauder is boxed up and ready to go to the UPS store and has the postage-paid label on it provided by Pyramyd Air. If Benjamin/Crosman wants to send me a Marauder free of charge as a token of their apology and guarantee that it will never leak, I will be happy to keep it. As far as the AirForce TalonSS is concerned, I wrote AirForce a short email about leaks and they said yes the tanks have leaked and "nothing is 100%". I wrote a longer email and asked for statistics or at the very least a statement regarding the experience of leakage of the TalonSS GUN or of the junction of the air tank-gun. No reply. I doubt they will. And another thing about Pyramyd Air, Crosman and AirForce is that they all evade your direct question and refer you to some obsure section of some website or some other person or department. I wrote Air Arms an email regarding leaks and their PCP rifles. No reply. My email to Crosman remains unanswered. I ask you, fellow air and spring fans, who has time for leaks and down time with their favorite air gun? Is the possession of a TalonSS or a Marauder that does not leak the minority rather than the majority?

packrat wrote:
Guess I'm not understanding the statement concerning TalonSS track record..I did a good bit of reading/research before I plunkeddown my $500.00+ to buy mine..If it's regarding leaking, I can tell ya this from first hand experience. mine has not leaked any since I bought it, at least none noticeable, and I checked it with warm soapy water, when I first got it. I also checked my self-converted hpa 2250 once it was built, with warm soapy water, no leaks there either...and it has a gauge, so I KNOW it does not leak.

I don't recall reading on this forum of any leakage problems with Mrods or Discos..and I've not read of any leak problems on the TalonTunes website either.....it could be that your luck is like mine...10,00 could buy ANy product and it would be perfect, I could buy that SAME product and it would catch on fire, leak, smell bad, not run, be missing parts or SOMETHING...know what I mean, Vern ?? Laughing Laughing
PCP Pump 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories