Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols » Crosman 2240 .177 ? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Crosman 2240 .177 ? 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Has anyone on here owned or converted a 2240 to .177 cal, if so what did it perform like regarding velocity and shot count etc.

I have this offer of a 2240 at a reasonable price but I am not a lover of .22 cal, I prefer the higher velocity and flatter trajectory of .177 cal, so if I bought it the first job would be a barrel change then I would have something to work on over the winter.

I have a design for a Luger P08 breach mechanism which I think would work well on a Crosman pistol of the 2240 type, but first I need information on how a .177 would perform.

Cheers

Al

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Crosman did, at one point, make a '2240' in .177- it was called a "1740". But, it's been discontinued for years.

I have put a .177 barrel on a 2240, along with a hammer spring adjuster to shoot targets at 5m. I was getting (to the best of my recollection) approximately 100 shots at 475-ish fps per 12g caplet on a 10.1" barrel.

There are no 7" .177 barrels for the platform, but there are 10.1" units, 18" units and 24" units available- which you could cut to your preferred length and re-crown.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Slavia
I have a gun I put together from junk parts (Roy calls it the "Frankenstein" gun). It has a 130 breech (.22) and a 760 barrel (.177). The bolt pushes the pellet just fine, but the pellet has to ride up out of the deeper .22 loading channel into the .177 bore:

I think you would probably need to get a .177 breech block, or else chamfer the breech end of the barrel so the pellet would have a ramp to climb up into the bore. That's what I did - but it only feeds pointed and domed pellets. It hates wadcutter (i.e. flat) pellets.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
I actually had a similar problem. To solve it, I had a buddy chamfer it (I love that word) and it still didn't work. Pellets pretty much don't want a straw in their way, or it'll be bad news.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I made up a 1750 (.177 cal, 18" barrel).... I never had a problem with the pellet feeding properly, I guess the lead-in taper on the Crosman barrel is OK.... I did a lot of playing around with hammer spring weight and adjustment and I managed 130 shots at 525 fps per cartridge (@ 70*F).... The biggest bonus, however, was no temperature sensitivity.... Shocked

What was going on was that at higher temperatures, the light hammer hit wasn't opening the valve as far.... while at lower temperatures the valve opened more.... The result produced virtually no velocity variation between 45*F and 75*F.... I've never heard of anyone else doing this.... Wink

If more power is your bag, you can tune for that.... but for punching paper, I ended up with a gun so efficient that it was cheaper to shoot in .177 on CO2 than a pumper or springer (just using air) in .22 cal because of the cheaper pellets.... Cool

In either caliber, the 2240 is a gas-waster in stock form.... You can easily tune it, however, for virtually no velocity loss and get a 50% (or more) increase in efficiency.... Mr. Green

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Going on what Eric was saying about performance it seems reasonable 100 shots per capsule, @ 475 fps, I should think with a modified valve for more output say 525+ fps the shots per fill would still be good.

As for a .177 barrel at the moment I’m not sure where to get one from at a reasonable price, ( You can’t buy one in the UK through the post, you have to have it sent to a dealer who will charge you £20.00/$35.00 to pass it over the counter ) Plus the cost over here is very expensive, so it would have to come from the US or Europe. ( you can buy from overseas with no restrictions. Stupid isn’t it ) The only other way I may try is to use a spare QB barrel I have, which is about 15” long after cutting it down trying to get it to shoot straight, by the time I get it to 7+ inches it hopefully may work ok.

The step in the breach is not a problem as I will make a new one out of brass, plus a new bolt etc, at least I assume it is not a problem.

As anyone done a shot string for a 2240? I would like to compare one to my Twinmaster data, the calibre don’t matter.

Al

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
There should be no breech step issue user newer Crosman parts- the barrels are chamfered from the factory, with the .177 having a slightly longer and wider chamfer than the .22 barrel (which is quite shallow and short in comparison).

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
HI Al....

Here is the thread on the 1750 (18" barrel) I made.... the second graph down on the first page shows what you could expect with a stock 1750:

http://airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=2651

Look at the graph for "high power 7" which is basically about the same hammer spring tension as stock.... I got about 44 useful shots, starting at 600 fps for the first 10, then dropping to about 570 fps over the next 10, then pretty steady until shot 35, and then a gradual drop to about 550 at shot 44 and then it tanked.... I was using 7.9 gr. JSB Express and the testing was conducted at 60*F (~15*C).... I shot about every 30 seconds to allow some time for temperature recovery between shots.... Cool

A 1740 would probably have similar results with a 10" barrel at room temperature.... a 2240 would have less velocity and likely a bit shorter shot string (I understand 35-40 shots is typical at 460ish) because the shorter (and bigger cal) barrel wastes more gas (and louder, too).... Rolling Eyes

EDIT: BTW, leave the valve and transfer port alone in .177.... you are much more likely to LOSE performance than gain.... Rolling Eyes

HTHs....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Brutuz
Al if you need it I'll considder a fair offer for a new .177 10.1" barrel I just used for a few test shots, and a standard trigger and standard .177 bolt handle that both have been givven a vintage look using "Brass Black".

Crosman [1300 1322 1377 1377c 1389 2289G Mark II SSP250 2300KT 2400KT ]
Sheridan [HB20]
Haenel [III 284]
SMK [XS78 Deluxish]
My vids on Youtube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
I should pick up the 2240 Tomorrow hopefully, I have sent a pm to Brutuz regarding his offer of a barrel which I can’t make a decision on until I try the spare QB barrel I have.

Bob the figures you posted are pretty impressive and I sure I be back to you once I read through it a few times, and get it sorted out in my head.

Slavia I intend to make a new breach block using the same breach closing system as a Luger P08, possibly out of brass to start with and if it works ok then steel.

Broom I don’t fancy a “Buddy Chamfer”, sounds disgusting. Mr. Green

Ha Ha!! “Al with a Crosman what’s the world coming to”? Laughing

Al

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Alstone wrote:

Broom I don’t fancy a “Buddy Chamfer”, sounds disgusting. Mr. Green

GOOD GRIEF! I guess you only read what you wanna read, huh? Razz

Al and a Crosman... Well, technically you already have something Crosman-ish so I guess you should be okay. *pat pat*. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
I intend to make a new breach block using the same breach closing system as a Luger P08

Sounds really cool. You might want to consider making the forward leg of the toggle a little longer than the rear, so you still have enough mechanical advantage at the end of the stroke to cock the hammer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Slavia wrote:
Quote:
I intend to make a new breach block using the same breach closing system as a Luger P08

Sounds really cool. You might want to consider making the forward leg of the toggle a little longer than the rear, so you still have enough mechanical advantage at the end of the stroke to cock the hammer.

I figure that if I make the rear link slightly longer so that it overlaps the centre pivot, when pulled back this lip will give me extra purchase at the critical cocking point.

I could be completely wrong and won’t know until I have time to play around with a 22 whether it will work. Whatever it will give me something to play with this winter.

Just on another thing, I saw an advert for Pyramyd Air for a 2240 half price $69.00/£39.00. Free post. So thinking they were shipping to the UK I ordered one, only to find out that they were using Amazon as the agent and they wouldn’t ship to the UK. So why advertise in pounds sterling?

Al

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alstone wrote:

Al

That's OK, we already lost all respect for you when you bought a QB. Mr. Green Razz

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
Alstone
AirGunEric wrote:
Alstone wrote:

Al

That's OK, we already lost all respect for you when you bought a QB. Mr. Green Razz

And that just gave me problems. Embarassed

Al

Crosman 2240 .177 ? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols