Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » What would you pay?
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
What would you pay? 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 927
This is one of those cases where a particular owner has chosen to screw his customers...because he can.

Because of idotic state laws, many of my local gun shops have closed. Further more stores like Walmart, Dick's, Sports Authority and Sportmart have gone over to the evil anti gun side.

You would think the one dealer would actually encourage more owners by advertising and such. And what a better way to introduce youngin's and adults a like into the world of shooting then selling ag's.

Not this guy however. Just because he's the "only one" left, he's jacked his prices through the roof.

Example, before I ordered my custom 2300kt, I had enquired what it would cost to have him bring in a 2250xt for me. His "base price" was $170! That's $25 more then pyramid. Okay...okay, sure he has a building and all those expenses. But then the SOB wants another $25 for a "special order" fee!

The problem is this guy realizes he's got us over a barrel (pun intended), but like I said, he could have been a nice guy and promoted himself better. He could make A LOT more profit selling to many more customers and they'd be happy, verses selling only one or two and making feel like we're being ripped off.

So, how much would you be willing to pay above average for a particular ag? Keep in mind it's not just his high markup, but that added $25 "special order fee" that you get hit with too.

_________________
.22 2300kt Crosman Custom
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
jonathan
Member
Member
Joined: 27 Dec 2008
Posts: 75
Location: Saint John NB
Easy............Just remind him how easy it is to order from the net.

I always see what prices are online before purchasing anything these days. I work hard for my money, and want to get the best bang for my buck. Retailers will realise this sooner or later.

_________________
Custom Bulked QB78,Webley Nemesis,Crosman 1100 Trapmaster,Sheridan Model C9,Dianna 24
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 4027
Location: Tatorville, USA
Don't forget.... Detroit gave Sodamn Insain the key to the city... It's been down hill ever since...

_________________

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Using price as the only criteria is "Wal Mart" thinking and is, in a not insignificant way, why the US economy is in the toilet.

Will this retailer take the gun back if you open it and it is defective, or give you a hassle?

Will this guy give you advice on using it/help you out generally?

Does this guy support local causes/charities and such?

If you go to pick up the box at the store and it's banged up and ripped open- will it be blamed on the "courier" and involve weeks of delays and BS to get it resolved and you will have already paid for it, so the responsibility for getting it resolved will tend to fall on you?

If you need a part to repair the product once it's out of warranty- will the lower-priced 'store' be able to assist? Offer good advice on the issue?


My point is that price should never be the only criteria on a purchase. That's not to say that extra fees are appropriate, but I don't know the specific issues involved with any specific retailer. Everyone can vote with their dollar and shop at places like PyramydAir- the problem being that soon PyramydAir will be the only place to buy airguns. If they control huge amounts of volume, they get a much much better price than a smaller retailer could hope to get, and by default can be the cheapest without even making an effort- whereas the small retailer has to "work" to sell product and ultimately make less on an item than places like Pyramyd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2051
I would simply not buy from him. However, he won't know what he's missing out on if you don't tell him. So at least contact him and say "Well, I would've bought from you if it weren't for your prices..."

Sometimes businesses do well enough as is, and they don't need ALL the customers they can get. It may not be worth their time to give discounts just to get a couple more customers.

_________________
I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 3752
Location: Star, Idaho
i would always pay a little more if i know i'll get good service.

however, mac-1 is the same or a little cheaper than PA on the same stuff. Shocked

_________________
I believe in gun control,
If there's a gun around I
want to be controlling it.......
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 927
Ah, I can see some varying points of view. But I think I'm sort of to blame for not including an important detail.... I CANNOT order from pyramid due to state regs on ag's. I have to buy from a licensed gun dealer. So this isn't just a matter of big box vs small guy. And honestly, he doesn't give all that great of advice. I've bought a few rifles and a pistol from him years back.

I can see what some of you are saying when it comes to a dealer that's willing to back up product with service. But his sevice isn't all that great. In the meantime as more and more stores either close or stop selling ag's, (or any guns for that matter) his prices rise proportionally.

I do agree, if I find that service from one store is better over another guy and I have to pay a few dollars more, I'm willing to do it. But this guy is taking to the point of gauging just because he can get away with it.

By the end of Oct, I'll have my d/l back and can get around again. My only other choice now is to see if either Dick's or Bass Pro is willing to order for me at a nominal charge. Those stores are a half hour's drive from me. Gander Mountian would be my next option, but that's an hour away.

I guess part of this rant is not just about this local dealer taking advantage, but also my state's ridiculously stupid ag laws. State of Illinois requires an FOID for any ag with an fps rating over 700 or any caliber larger then .177.

I swear, if my plans were to continue living in the burbs of chicago, I'd get an FFL, and then rent out of the gazillions of "light industrial buildings" that are sitting around here empty, and open an ag only store with indoor range.

_________________
.22 2300kt Crosman Custom
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 3752
Location: Star, Idaho
i think you're screwed jax.... and i b!tch about california....

i went to mac-1 last weekend and bought 400 rounds of .22 crow mags for $12. Shocked you can't find that price anywhere.. (that was $1 off or so because i'm a regular). again.... back to service....

out of the box factory disco's (not tuned) tim sells for $225..... and here it's cash and carry... i don't have any papers on my marauder.....

i'm guessing that will change sooner not later.....

_________________
I believe in gun control,
If there's a gun around I
want to be controlling it.......
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
What does he charge for discos with a pump, and shipping to a P.O. Box outside NJ? Mr. Green

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 3752
Location: Star, Idaho
i dunno. you'd have to ask him. i have a scuba tank.

_________________
I believe in gun control,
If there's a gun around I
want to be controlling it.......
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
HAHA I should get a P.O. Box right across the bridge... Ship UPS to a state with some civil liberties.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 927
I know first hand that Dick's doesn't have the best prices.. And sometimes Bass Pro can be bit pricey on things too. I'll have to check them out once I can.

If I can't get them to do it, my next choice is to cross state lines and buy something either in Wisconsin or Indiana....if they have it on the shelf. Gets to the point of paying special order charge and having to make repeated trips out of state, I have to start comparing that against pay my local's outragious price.

Or hope someone on here eventually wants to sell the ag's I'm looking for. I'd love a mac 1 tuned disco, but even he won't ship to me.

_________________
.22 2300kt Crosman Custom
View user's profile Send private message
What would you pay? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.