Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » How do you get rid of that spring twang in a Gamo??? Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
How do you get rid of that spring twang in a Gamo??? 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
Hi all,
I've been doing some work on my Whisper .22. I want to get rid of the twang sound,when the gun is fired.I put a-little moly grease on the spring,but it didn't help much.Any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2444
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
Well... get out the blow torch and a hammer... maybe the hax saw. Laughing

You can always put a JM spring in it (best solution), spring guides, pull the spring out and lube it.

The JM is almost always the best, period.

New (longer) spring guides can help keep it from vibrating, and a lot of guns do not come with a "tophat" guide. The "tophat" looks like a tophat, and is on the piston end of the spring to help it seat properly and spin freely, instead of bending oddly.

Finally, the simplest and most likely to do nothing: pull out the spring and use a lube made up of AT LEAST 60% molybdenum disulfide. I have heard that you can mix in a bit of graphite to change how the lube works. On a side note: if your locks aren't working properly, they may need lube, use some crushed up graphite mixed with 70% rubbing alcohol and apply to the inside of the lock using the proper key.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
The simplest approach would be to use heavy tar to dampen the spring's vibrations. It will also slow the gun down a bit:
http://www.airguns.citymax.com/catalog/item/251484/42985.htm

A coil spring twists (spins) as it changes length. If the spring ends are not free to rotate, then the spring will want to kink, and when you shoot it the kink snaps out and the spring vibrates. The solution is to polish the spring ends, and to put a short stack of hardened, polished washers at each end. This forms a thrust bearing, which lets the spring spin. (A commercial ball or roller thrust bearing will come apart and throw shrapnel into your guns innards.) How many washers will depend on your gun - you don't want to add so many that the coil binds when you cock it (stay at least 1/4" away from coil bind). Since the washers will also increase the spring's "pre-load," the gun will shoot a little faster.

There will be a tube of some sort going down the inside of the spring at the rear ("spring guide') and perhaps a shorter guide ("top hat") at the front. Coil springs also expand in diameter as they compress, so the guides should be a little tight when the spring is at rest. When you cock it the spring expands away from the guides, and when you shoot it the spring comes back into contact (and the vibration is dampened). The solution here is to get someone with a lathe to make new guides that are fitted to the spring. I have also heard of people epoxying heat-shrink tubing on the original guides, but I've never attempted it myself.

In any event I hope you are using a spring compressor for safety's sake.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
You could go to Jim Maccari's site and get a lube kit, Put the moly grease on the inside of the spring and the black tar on the outside but not to much.
http://www.airguns.citymax.com/page/page/251327.htm

This should help to deaden the twang




Or you could make and fit one of these.
http://airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=1674

Al

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Sorry about posting over you Slavia, last time I looked there was nothing there. Laughing

Al

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
fritz wrote:
Well... get out the blow torch and a hammer... maybe the hax saw. Laughing

You can always put a JM spring in it (best solution), spring guides, pull the spring out and lube it.

The JM is almost always the best, period.

New (longer) spring guides can help keep it from vibrating, and a lot of guns do not come with a "tophat" guide. The "tophat" looks like a tophat, and is on the piston end of the spring to help it seat properly and spin freely, instead of bending oddly.

Finally, the simplest and most likely to do nothing: pull out the spring and use a lube made up of AT LEAST 60% molybdenum disulfide. I have heard that you can mix in a bit of graphite to change how the lube works. On a side note: if your locks aren't working properly, they may need lube, use some crushed up graphite mixed with 70% rubbing alcohol and apply to the inside of the lock using the proper key.
Thanks for the tips.I like your idea at the beginning though.I was thinking along the lines of perhaps a steamroller,jackhammer,etc.Wonder if it would widen my groups though! LOL! Laughing Shocked
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
Slavia wrote:
The simplest approach would be to use heavy tar to dampen the spring's vibrations. It will also slow the gun down a bit:
http://www.airguns.citymax.com/catalog/item/251484/42985.htm

A coil spring twists (spins) as it changes length. If the spring ends are not free to rotate, then the spring will want to kink, and when you shoot it the kink snaps out and the spring vibrates. The solution is to polish the spring ends, and to put a short stack of hardened, polished washers at each end. This forms a thrust bearing, which lets the spring spin. (A commercial ball or roller thrust bearing will come apart and throw shrapnel into your guns innards.) How many washers will depend on your gun - you don't want to add so many that the coil binds when you cock it (stay at least 1/4" away from coil bind). Since the washers will also increase the spring's "pre-load," the gun will shoot a little faster.

There will be a tube of some sort going down the inside of the spring at the rear ("spring guide') and perhaps a shorter guide ("top hat") at the front. Coil springs also expand in diameter as they compress, so the guides should be a little tight when the spring is at rest. When you cock it the spring expands away from the guides, and when you shoot it the spring comes back into contact (and the vibration is dampened). The solution here is to get someone with a lathe to make new guides that are fitted to the spring. I have also heard of people epoxying heat-shrink tubing on the original guides, but I've never attempted it myself.

In any event I hope you are using a spring compressor for safety's sake.
Very interesting!Sounds like you know your stuff.Thanks! Smile
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
Quote:
Sorry about posting over you Slavia, last time I looked there was nothing there.


No problem. Hopefully together we can give Mark5043 what he needs.

And Mark5043 - keep us posted. If you have questions, pictures are a big help. Good luck!

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2444
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
The simplest approach would be with the heavy tar, but I figure if you have it apart you might aswell just put in the JM kit or at least guides if needed.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
Slavia wrote:
Quote:
Sorry about posting over you Slavia, last time I looked there was nothing there.


No problem. Hopefully together we can give Mark5043 what he needs.

And Mark5043 - keep us posted. If you have questions, pictures are a big help. Good luck!
Ok great.I do have a question.I'm looking for the schematics of the GAMO whisper.I contacted Gamo,and they said,they could not release them to me unless I was a dealer.I did find them on the CFX model.My question is,are the internals the same on these two guns?I want to know before I get inside this gun,as I have never torn down a springer before.My main concern is safety of course.I need a picture of what I'm looking at,so I know how to do it with precision,and safely.I have a background in auto mechanics,so it should be easy.I just need to see all the working parts in an exploded form,and then I can get into it.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2444
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
You should be able to pop some pins and it will release the end cap, and shooting your spring at VERY high speed across the room. This is why we have spring compressors.

There should be some schematics floating around the web, do some searching on them.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
This is in Spanish, but you can still understand:
http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/despieces-carabinas/carabina-gamo-whisperx.htm


Last edited by Slavia on Tue May 12, 2009 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
fritz wrote:
You should be able to pop some pins and it will release the end cap, and shooting your spring at VERY high speed across the room. This is why we have spring compressors.

There should be some schematics floating around the web, do some searching on them.
Ok!Found some on the whisper x.Same gun different stalk.Looks basic to me.Just have to build myself a spring compressor now.Thanks Fritz. Smile
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
Slavia wrote:
This is in Spanish, but you can still understand:
http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/despieces-carabinas/carabina-gamo-whisperx.htm
Thanks again.Just happened to find this,a few minutes ago myself,hence the quote to Fritz.Looks basic.Just need to build myself a spring compressor. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
This is what you're aiming for, although it doesn't have to be made from a "C" clamp. Credit goes to "tobal" on the forum www.mexicoarmado.com for the photos:




_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
How do you get rid of that spring twang in a Gamo??? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.