 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | Groups at 100+ meters. |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:10 pm |
|
|
| Jordan4 |
| New Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 19 Mar 2009 |
| Posts: 8 |
|
|
|
 |
| Hi, Im new on this site but ive had my gamo bigcat 1200 for about a year now. Well Ive been getting sick of the 25 yard shooting in my backyard so I found a good 116 meter shooting area (google earth measurments) Doing the best scope adjustments as I could I was getting at the very best 12 inch groups and that was rare. Do I suck as shooting or is it the gun. What are reasonable groups at ranges like that? P.S All I had was gamo match pellets probly the worst option for long range shooting i know, and I have the standard 4x scope. Would getting a high magnification scope Improve this? Thanks. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:55 pm |
|
|
| Alstone |
| Moderator & Site Supporter |

 |
 |
| Joined: 01 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 4139 |
| Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND |
|
|
 |
Welcome to AirGunHome Jordan.
Regarding your Gamo, first does it group well at 25m if so then you need a different pellet and something like a 32x scope would help, if it doesn’t group at 25m then try changing the pellet, someone else can probably recommend a better one, as for the 4x scope it will be at it’s limit at 25m but should give you some idea of how accurate the Gamo is. Mind you I think 100m is pushing it a bit, what's the flb output?
Al |
|
_________________
 |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:09 pm |
|
|
| Bean |
| Veteran Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 23 Sep 2008 |
| Posts: 127 |
| Location: Bel Air MD |
|
|
 |
Gamp Match wads?
Are you shooting with the gun on a stable rest?
(If offhand - 12inch groups at that distance would be very good
in my opinion)
I can't speak for the gun but I can tell you that I use the Gamo Match Wadcutters for a high volume of my general shooting. At 5 and 10m with my pistol I find them to be very accurate, at 10m with my rifle I also find them to be accurate but always expect a few surprises at the higher FPS.
Going from 10 to 20m with the rifle on a bipod my groups open to an inch. Maybe 3 out of 5 half-inch bulls with the other 2 somewhere else. I think that's typical of even better wadcuters. I've only had better results with the H&N Match Wads and they cost 3x as much.
I think the POI movement that i'm seeing would be greatly magnified at 5+ times the distance. So yeah, try a different pellet. I've had very good succes with Crossman Premier Heavies (not all guns like them). 19 out of 20 in a half inch bull at 20m and 16 out of 20 in a half inch at 35 yards (my limit). Even the misses (except for the occassional flyer) are near misses. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:54 pm |
|
|
| Jordan4 |
| New Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 19 Mar 2009 |
| Posts: 8 |
|
|
|
 |
| My groups at 25m are within 2 inches if I really try. I have the gun rested on a sturdy surface. Is it reasonable to expect better groups from any 1000fps spring rifle. Maybe within 6 inches? Yes I am using gamo match wadcutters. Im going to try with the hunter ammo which is more aerodynamic, and supposed to have a better balistic coefficient. The energy at the muzzle is said to be around 16ft/lbs |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:37 pm |
|
|
| Alstone |
| Moderator & Site Supporter |

 |
 |
| Joined: 01 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 4139 |
| Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND |
|
|
 |
I think you will find that wadcutters tend to stray a bit, when shooting further than 20m, also I think you are pushing it a bit expecting good groups at 100m with only 16flb.
Al |
|
_________________
 |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.
|