Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » The BS Topic » The great car debate! Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
AirGunEric wrote:
Dang you European-types and your silencers! I'm gonna build my own "silencer" that's about 100 feet long, 10 feet wide, 8 feet tall and has some doors on it. Then I'll shoot in there and no one will hear it. Ha! Razz


Thats called a north American auto. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Alstone wrote:
AirGunEric wrote:
Dang you European-types and your silencers! I'm gonna build my own "silencer" that's about 100 feet long, 10 feet wide, 8 feet tall and has some doors on it. Then I'll shoot in there and no one will hear it. Ha! Razz


Thats called a north American auto. Laughing


har har. Unfortunately, even those days are pretty much gone. I was still driving one of the last real "full size" American cars up until a few years ago- a 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille with a 425ci engine tipping the scales at 4500lbs with no fluids or passengers in it. By 1980 even that car had been shrunk a bit and the engine size dropped to 368ci. I think the biggest North American car (-proper) being built today is maybe the Ford Crown Victoria- which is actually pretty small in my opinion (I've driven a few here and there over the last 10 years)- it only weighs about 4,000 pounds and is maybe 16 feet long. Crying or Very sad

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
The largest cars these days are (Puke) MPV's and SUV's. I hate both. An MPV is a van without road capabilities. An SUV is an Off-roader without Off-road capabilities. I believe that for the cas of either one of the pre-mentioned cars, you can own a Saloon. And i'm talking Mercedes, BMW's of if you want a hatchback: Porsche. Technically, a Porsche is a 3-door Hatchback-coupe, in my opinion. Mr. Green

There are a large number of cars I like, and none of them is high. They all have good proportions, and they all are defendable. I hate cars with bad proportions.

That was the most off-topic I think I ever went.

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Hi Broom
I have a MPV with a 2.2 Lotus engine, and that has very good road capabilities 130 mph ( 208 kph) max

AL
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
That doesn't change anything about the fact that it is high. Mr. Green

It's a Toyota, am I right?

Wouldn't you have been better of with a stationwagon?

I'm sorry, I'm a real c*nt concerning cars. It's either OR very right OR very wrong.

Besides, I bet my brothers 1.6 16V Opel Astra with 110 HP still nails you. Mr. Green That doesn't change the fact that it's an annoying little wannabe hatchback, but it has airco, one of the silly luxuries you gotta have in your car.

Airco, proportions, a well balanced engine and heritage make a car.

In my case, a Volvo, Mercedes (they are cheap, especially diesel versions) or maybe a BMW. I like the looks of American cars, but I'd like to take corners once in a while, so that's a no go for me. Mr. Green

I have an actual list of cars taht my preference leans towards:

1970-85 Mercedes (They can be found in quite good condition)
1970-1990 Volvo (Same, and preferable the stationwagons)
1987-91 BMW (look very hard, like them mostly as station to)
1950-80 Citroen (But only on a rare occasion)
1970-90 Opel (They just have some very weird designs that got my fancy)
1975-90 Porsche

Then starting from affordable modern cars that I would buy because I will probably crash it (A lot of people crash their first car):

Toyota (HiLux, or any other Toyota offroader that is Pre-1990)
Volkswagen (I DO like toyota over Volkswagen)
Alfa-Romeo
Fiat

And then the brands I absolutely don't like and that I will never buy unless someone puts a gun at my face:

Daihatsu
Nissan
Mazda
Subaru
Daewoo (Chevrolet these days)
Suzuki
Peugeot
Renault
Seat (They had their shot)

And the brand of which I think the existence is stupendous:

1980-07 Lamborghini

As you can see, I dig almost anything that is classic. I would even an exception for pre-80 Lamborghini's. Isn't that nice?

(All brands not named and that are not out of Asia can be considered liked, but under doubt. I don't dig asian design.)

As you can all see: I am a complete car c*nt.

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
In actual fact Broom it's a 2.2 Zafira, which is a MPV on a Astra chassie with 150 bhp. Wanna Race?. Crazy LOL



I've hijacked my own post now.
AL
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Ha ha. How 'bout you guys come race with me?





Here's all of the 7.56L (461cubic inches) of engine- which is woefully undertuned at the moment (no time to fiddle with it for almost 6 years now) putting out about 460hp:





I'll even let you guys have a 300ft lead on an 1/4 mile track. Wink

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
ha ha Yeah I think you would win, but I still think you would have trouble getting round the corners, or maybe Broom as got something hidden away in that list, which could take you on?.

Mind you I'd give you a race on my Goldie.



AL


Last edited by Alstone on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
I'd have trouble outmaneuvering most (most- not some of the newer ones) Porsches' a perhaps a couple of the BMW and Mercedes units. A Subaru WRX would also likely beat me in that category- it's all-wheel-drive and has a decent steering/suspension setup.

My car is rear-wheel-drive so getting around corners is not an issue depending on how fast you like to turn- but anyone not hanging onto the steering wheel in a 90º slide-steer turn tends to get annoyed. My problem would be maneuverability on those teeny European roadways, or "alleys" as I think some of them might be more appropriately termed. Razz

But- let's be honest- even a total crapbox can be forced to dance around by the right driver- it would just be a dance like the 300 pound girl at the party- a bit offensive on the eyes- but you kinda have to watch to see if she falls down or breaks something. Mr. Green

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
You added that motorcycle after I posted!


What is a "goldie"? I've only owned a few bikes and got rid of the last one about 11 years ago (a Honda SilverWing- which was a POS with it's relatively new-at-the-time capacitor discharge ignition and funky cam chain setup for anyone curious). Should've kept the Honda CB-750 maybe...

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Hi Eric
A goldie is a BSA Gold Star made by the same company that makes the airguns (so were back on topic) they were in there day racing bikes that were converted for use on the road, the one in the picture is a DB32 350cc, I owned it in the late 1950s and raced it a few times in club meetings, sold it in the 1960s, and years later was bought by bike restorer John Flood (Floody) who lived on the Isle of Man where the TT course is, he restored it to it's original condition and it now lives in a glass case in a resturant on the TT course.

AL
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 1060
Location: Herefordshire, UK
Hi Al

Sorry I haven't been able to post lately, I've been a bit too preoccupied with my '1077 disassembly guide'.

Nice to hear that your bike is actually on display on the Isle of Man to Motorcycle enthusiasts and the like.

If you still had it with you I could have raced you with My Montesa 250cc Enduro:

Drum brakes kick a$$!!!


Also Eric, You car is amazing!! I am left speechless to say the least!
Except What's with the house in the background? LOL


Stevie Thumb Up!

_________________
"Who Dares Wins" - SAS 22nd Regiment Hereford.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Hi Stevie
I think you would beat me cross country on that bike.

But Snap! with the Colchester Bantam, the one below I bought new in 1965 for £550, sold it 2003 when I retired for £600 still as good as the day I bought it. Who's is the one in the photo yours ?.

I think the House in Erics photo is in disguise.



AL
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
That picture of the car is a few years old now (at the moment it is in a garage covered mainly with a thin layer of dust) but the picture was taken beside some funny little church down the road from a condo where I resided until I bought my house out in the sticks. It is one of the very common late 1960s-early 1970s brick buildings around that entire area- brown/red brick, not enough windows, and basically a rectangle. I suspect it was being built as something else at first and then the Baptist Church got ahold of it. The straight brickwork caused issues in the picture when it got shrunk down from it's original size- loss of resolution "blended" it rather strangely.

Is that your garage Al- it looks more like a small machine shop!

And those Enduro bikes- are there places easily accessible to ride them in the UK, or can they also be licensed for use on a regular road?

Lastly- everyone in the UK own a lathe? Stevie should be building his own 1077 with it!

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 1060
Location: Herefordshire, UK
Hi Al

I think I'll take a break from my guide.

Yeah, Off road I could probably beat you but you might stand a chance with some different tyres, But I think you would definitely beat me on the black stuff.

The Bantem belongs to my Dad, I'm not too sure how much he bought it for, Nice to see that profit can still be made from selling these on these days (£50) Good one Al!!, You can always tell where a lathe has been by the oil smear up the wall!! Laughing There is also a Myford on the left of my pic but it is under a cover Rolling Eyes Sorry.

I think the building in Eric's pic fuzzed up like Football goals do on the TV (Not that I like Football) and like your Number Plate Al! LOL Laughing Joking!


Stevie Thumb Up!

_________________
"Who Dares Wins" - SAS 22nd Regiment Hereford.
View user's profile Send private message
The great car debate! 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » The BS Topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 3  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.