Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Ported Muzzlebrake
Ported Muzzlebrake 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote
johncedarhill
What advantage is there to a ported muzzlebrake vs. a solid one? I noticed that my ss 1000 has one. I got it out today to see if my trigger finger has gotten any stronger.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
"Theoretically", although reality seems to have fallen short in respect to proving it, a ported brake would help enhance the accuracy of the gun by allowing the gases that would come out just at the base of the pellet once it is clear of the barrel/muzzle to be re-directed away from the pellet base, thus not contributed to any turbulence that might put it off course.

As mentioned, there doesn't really seem to be alot of "hard evidence" to support this idea, it's more of a "sounds good, so it's probably true" concept.

Take a look in "Accessory Topics" at the Muzzlebrake vs. Silencer post, it talks about this sort of thing a bit.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
You can check out Phil's website for his take on the subject . . .

http://www.pmcb.co.uk/RapidAirStripper.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Interesting, Phil's idea there. If you look at it- he calls his design an "air stripper"- not a "brake" and some of them sit further back on the muzzle (i.e. behind the crown/tip) than a typical brake found in the market.

His price point also seems to add some credence to the idea it may be a properly engineered device- i.e. £45.00 (roughly $90 USD) vs. a typical "generic" muzzle brake of about $20-40 USD. Heck, in the UK a silencer can be had for less than $50. The note about "it is CRITICAL to get the distance right" also adds fodder to the idea of generic off-the-shelf brakes being unlikely accuracy enhancers.

Maybe someone can clarify his terminology as well: "I could get groups of 1" at 45 Yds this is a HFT gun shooting at 7 mag." What is "7 mag"?

Apparently his design works (or so he claims)- but I haven't seen too many other brakes out there with that level of engineering and "non generic" build.

So- maybe the "theory" is correct- but the "application" with off-the-shelf stuff from companies like Beeman and the backyard airgunsmith-for-profit types just hasn't been done properly.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
johncedarhill
Glad you asked about the 7 mag. I thought if I asked it would be a "newbie" stupid question. It seems like the stripper might act like a venturi the way it is configured. Like the pellet sucks air in counteracting the muzzle blast?????

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
It's almost as though the cone is just a separated extension of the barrel- once the projectile exits the barrel proper, there is that wide open space for expanding gas/air to release- but the projectile continues on through the "secondary" barrel in effect with a wide-open rear to it.

Makes me wonder how delicate the balance is on it. For example, is the 'cone' slightly larger than would be the rifle's barrel? And, if the cone or its mount/housing gets mis-aligned, even just a little bit- how much will it affect the projectile travel- i.e. a moderate misalignment could interfere with the pellet path and literally "bounce" off it.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Ported Muzzlebrake 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles