Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Diana 48 Breaks down.
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Diana 48 Breaks down. 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Even though the problem has already been solved, I'd still like to share this story.

A couple of weeks ago I got my Diana 48 (a little twangy 14-15 fpe) tuned by my buddy Jan. He made a custom top hat out of the last bit of Delrin he had, but he couldn't make a springuide, so we decided we'd put in an original spring guide he had laying around, which was the same shape and size as the one that was in there, only it looked a lot better, and the fit was nice and tight too.

The spring we used was a JM de-tuning spring. I have the feeling that the old Diana spring in there was something like a 12 Fpe version also.

Result from the was 14-15 fpe without twang. Pretty good for a de-tuned D-48 so I figured I'd just stick with it.

When I fired a few shots this morning, I noticed a twang. I gave Jan a call to see if he was up to anything, and since he wasn't I figured me and D would drop by.

Just to test the rifle, Jan cocked it and fired a shot, then another and at the thirds it didn't cock anymore. The darned thing got stuck half way.

So we opened it up, and what came out of there wasn't pretty. The Diana's spring guide was in two pieces. It broke off by the foot.

I was quite pissed off, so I decided to go all our and just order a full power Maccari tune. I guess if you really want to do it right, you better go all the way.

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
Amigo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 18 Sep 2008
Posts: 263
Location: U.S. MidWest
Broom:

Quote:
and the fit was nice and tight too.


Often, too tight of a fit of the spring to guide is not nice.

Amigo
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Then why do Maccari kits come with springs that are really tight in there?

I have the feeling it has more to do with the piston-pin, the spring, and the spring guide not being tuned in to each other. The JM spring was simply to powerfull for the spring guide.

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 757
broommaster2000 wrote:
Then why do Maccari kits come with springs that are really tight in there?

I have the feeling it has more to do with the piston-pin, the spring, and the spring guide not being tuned in to each other. The JM spring was simply to powerfull for the spring guide.
I've had several broken Diana guides. They're made of 'junk plastic' while tuners use more costly thermoplastics or metal for the guides.

The ARH springs are a higher quality spring wire with better QC during winding and tempering, therefore not as brittle nor as prone to breaking as the factory units.

After having several Diana, HW, and Gamo springs 'cant', crap out or 'explode', I just put an ARH kit in as soon as I get a new bbgun, and I haven't needed to replace an ARH unit yet. Some are nearly a decade old with no signs of wearing out evident thus far! Thumb Up!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
ARH?

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 757
broommaster2000 wrote:
ARH?
Air Rifle HeadQuarters
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Aha, THAT "ARH"! Mr. Green

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:38 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Since the Maccari tune, Diana has been doing better and better. I gained another FP by breaking in, or so it seems. I'm now doing 255 Meter per second with Baracuda Extra Heavies. Something like 16 Fpe?

I heard that Maccari tunes in .177 Diana 48's do about 17.5 Fpe in the best scenario, so I guess I should be kind of happy. My buddy who tuned the gun had to shave off a few mm's from the top hat so that the gun would cock.

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
Diana 48 Breaks down. 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.