Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Whats a Good Air Rifle? Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Whats a Good Air Rifle? 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
rasinsmustdie
New Member
New Member
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 2
Hey guys. I'm new, not just to the forums but to Air-Rifle's in general. I've never really thought of them as anything more than something to shoot an aluminum can with. Monday night though, a friend of mine showed me one in-particular air-rifle that fired a pellet ( .117), but sounded like a damn .22LR Rifle!

Amazingly enough, that sucker can penetrate blocks of wood (no damage done, they were just pieces of 2x4's laying around from a project we did). Well, now I'm curious about Air-Rifles to the extent that Wikipedia doesn't even slake my wonder.

Just how fast (in FPS) can an air-rifle push a pellet? Say a .22?
The rifle Cody had (break-barrel), only shot one round. Are there semi-automatic air-rifles? Can they shoot a .22 size pellet faster than 1300 FPS? If so, how much would one of those cost?
Last but not least, is there an air-rifle that can drop a White-Tail deer (assuming its a shot to the heart of course)? I only ask because if such a thing does exist, my .22 Rifle could be getting replaced.

Thanks in advance! I hope I can contribute to these forums somehow in the future!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Lots of airguns can do over 1300fps- but in .22 cal you are pretty much limited to PCP guns (see the glossary for terms: http://www.airgunhome.com/pages/glossary.html

Evanix: http://www.evanix.com/ehmar.htm

http://www.evanix.com/ehm2.htm

Their two upper-end "Hunting Master" airguns have 80J output in .22 cal or .177 cal - once translated, this works out to a 14.2gr .22 pellet traveling at 1375 fps.

The AirForce Condor will do 1250fps in .22 cal: http://www.airforceairguns.com/condor.html

And there's probably a whole lot more- but I haven't got the time at the moment to post up links.

As for price on these super-powerpul airguns- they are not comparable to a .22 LR rifle- i.e. think like $700+ for these sorts of guns.

That being said- the game isn't all "power"- that's just numbers. In fact, diabolo pellet design is such that crossing the sound "barrier" causes huge accuracy issues- so a more "bullet" profiled pellet needs to be used, and it better stay over the sound barrier by the time it hits its target, or it becomes just a relatively pricey lump of misplaced, spattered lead. Take a look at this article: http://www.shotgunnews.com/gaylord/speed/

-it may be a bit dated now, but the principles are applicable.

If you have a specific purpose in mind- let us know what it is and perhaps people can suggest a range of guns that would suit that purpose best.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2051
Also, the preponderance of commercial air rifles come in only three calibers: .177, .20, and .22. None of which are designed for shooting deer. Not sure why you would shoot deer in the heart with a .22 LR either, but I digress.

From what I hear, the best .22 cal airgun only ties the velocities produced by a .22 LR firearm. That being the Condor, which is a $900 minimum rig. A Ruger 10/22 with scope is less than $300 by comparison.

Getting the most powerful airgun out there in the hopes of replacing your firearm with it is not very practical. It won't be much quieter and will be more expensive.

One more thing rasinsmustdie. I have a pretty high powered .22 airgun and I've shot birds that weigh less than one pound and they have flown off. Now what do you think that it would do to a 150 lb deer?

_________________
I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
swl
Member
Member
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 44
Location: More than 20 miles from East Coker
It's almost impossible to kill a deer with a .22LR, guess that's why its illegal to hunt deer with .22s

_________________
MANU FORTI



The only thing that money can't buy is poverty.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2051
Quote:
It's almost impossible to kill a deer with a .22LR


If you hit it's forehead I'm sure you could drop one. The thing about the heart shot is that you could probably penetrate to the heart and perforate it, however, that deer will take off like bat out of hell. That thing won't blead out till its a mile away. You better be a good tracker if you want to find it.

_________________
I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 930
Location: TN USA
I don't know of anywhere it's legal to hunt deer with a rimfire, though a "very accurate shot" with say a .22 wmr would probably do the job. In my openion, stick with your .30-06.

As far as air rifles, there are PCPs in 9mm, .45 or.50 calibor that are suitable for deer.

In the case of say varment shooting there are several good springers (Your friend's break barrel is a springer) that will do the job. I'm considering a Walther Falcon that claims more than 26 foot pounds in .22. I'd suggest wandering around the net for some reviews and then look at some of the retail sights like Pyramyd and so on. You can get an idea what's available for what game in what calibors ay what price.

_________________
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
2RCHA
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 195
Location: The Big Smoke, Ontario
Oi!, This is what you want for taking down a Deer http://168.144.194.108/AxiomLeMAK.htm , Man, I wouldn't mind trying this out next fall, Andy.

_________________
QB78-D w/Fitco 4-16x44CE
2x,XS B4-2a .177/.22 w/Fitco 3-9x40
XS B2-2a .22 w/Simmons 3-9x40
XS B9-1 w/AimPoint CompM2
TAC1 Extreme w/Tasco 3-9x40/Var,. Kit
2240/2289g w/Fitco 3-12x40K-GD
Gamo Recon w/ Fitco 2-7x32k
QB-57Deluxe .22 w/Fitco 2-7x32k
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
 
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Hmm- obviously I missed the "take down a deer" in the first post. Doh!

NOT a good plan with a .22 airgun (or even a .22LR rifle- to be honest). Maybe a .50 cal Dragon or such- but we're not talking 1300fps- more like 400fps but alot more muzzle energy to move that size/weight slug.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2051
Well, there was a guy on here a while back who allegedly was shooting some type of diminutive deer species whith his .22 cal air gun. He even had pics. However they were probably only 30-40 lb animals and he was knocking them in the head at 25 yards.

As far as that modified airforce number that is shooting arrow darts.....I would just plain be scared to use that.

_________________
I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity.
View user's profile Send private message
Going from bad to worse 
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
RedFeather
Member
Member
Joined: 16 Apr 2008
Posts: 56
First, .22lr should only be used on deer as a survival strategy. Like if your bushplane went down in the boonies and all you have is a .22lr. While they can take deer, they are very marginal, producing more wounds than outright fatalities. If those are barely adequate, what would you consider a .22 airgun pellet at maybe one-third the weight?

Also, the one thing you want to buy along with an air rifle is a decent pair of shooting glasses. Especially if you are potting things like scrap wood, et cetera. Don't laugh. This time last year I was in the emergency room with my son, having followed the ambulance carrying his buddy. They and another kucklehead were shooting bb guns and the boy was hit in the eye. Luckily, the bb went under the eye and lodged behind it, but it was looking like some intense surgery there for a couple of hours. Having had four such operations, myself, I strongly recommend the glasses. They're cheaper than $30,000 for the operating theater, alone.

BTW, .30-30 is good for deer.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 930
Location: TN USA
There is a species called a chevrotain or mouse deer in Asia and Africa. I can't see shooting them , but they run around 18 inches or so and about 4 pounds. You'd have to be pretty hard hearted to shoot one however as they live deep in wooded areas and aren't pests. But.... a .22 would kill one I suppose, but why? Question Shrug

_________________
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Rogerflat wrote:
Well, there was a guy on here a while back who allegedly was shooting some type of diminutive deer species whith his .22 cal air gun. He even had pics. However they were probably only 30-40 lb animals and...


Yes, but he was in Australia and the deer were very small as you noted- like 50-60lbs (22-25Kg)- not the 200+lbs of a white tail deer.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
billandbeaufort
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 563
Location: Florida
thepaladin wrote:
There is a species called a chevrotain or mouse deer in Asia and Africa. I can't see shooting them , but they run around 18 inches or so and about 4 pounds. You'd have to be pretty hard hearted to shoot one however as they live deep in wooded areas and aren't pests. But.... a .22 would kill one I suppose, but why? Question Shrug

Thepalladin, You need to realise that not all forum members are adults. In fact due to the nature of "airguns" most members are juveniles. It is obvious by thier postings (killing deer with 22s) that not only are they children phisicaly but emotionaly as well. Sometimes it takes a whole lifetime to become "spiritualy mature". Many of these idiots also will go out and proudly kill 20 squirels or birds with no intention of eating them! It gives little boys a feeling of power that they apparently need in thier teens. Some would say it's natural (boys will be boys) but I doubt that the starving baby squirels waiting for thier mother to come feed them think so. OK I'm off my soap box and off to shoot my Gary L. Barnes .58 caliber air rifle at 500fpe! Look at his web site! Airguns: they're not just for kids anymore! Be safe-have fun. B&B
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:47 am Reply with quote
cw
Banned
Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 1771
Do you have any photos of your Barns that you
could post?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2051
I don't know if the OP was even serious or not. It could just be another one of those "sign on and drop a post about something illegal and stir up the flames and then leave" type deals. I mean considering that shooting deer with airguns is like a big "no-no" and yet this guy comes on talking about that right off the bat. Who knows/cares.

As far as juveniles posting here, I've not noticed many. You can usually tell age level/intellect by the wording in the members post, and I've not detected that there are many non-adults here.

Some people, kids and adults, will kill just to do it. But I shot a dove last night with my airgun and it served as the "meat" portion of my dinner. If I had just posted that I shot a bird, then people wouldn't necessarily know that I hunt for food unless I said so. And I've seen members get mad about that before. So don't always assume that airgunners are immature and irresponsible. Some are legitimate hunters.

_________________
I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity.
View user's profile Send private message
Whats a Good Air Rifle? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.