Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » freebie Goto page 1, 2  Next
freebie 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:26 am Reply with quote
lonegunman88240
i just got a .22 crosman quest given to me, dont have it in posession yet should have this weekend, it got a broken spring and a cracked stock, or so im told, wont know for sure until it gets delived, question is can i get a replcement stock for it? and would it be worth converting to nitro? is it worth fixing up at all?
Free is good. 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Big Bore Bart
A free rifle is usually worth fixing, Crosman has stocks and springs. I would glue the stock myself. Springs are consumables, expect to replace them occasionally.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
lonegunman88240
well thats the plan depending where the break is may be able to glue and pin it together, just curious what stock options i had if i had to replace it, also thinking about cutting it down to a carbine but not sure, dont want to lose any performance, but like it to be short as i usually rabbit hunt from a truck window,
legal if disabled,
Stocks 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Big Bore Bart
Almost any of the Crosman break barrel stocks will fit. Most of the guns are a version of the BAM B18/B19. The rifles with C 8 in the part nos. are all the same, and the stocks interchange.
http://www.crosman.com/cs/manuals/crosman-rifles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
lonegunman88240
i appreciate the info, any idea if there is a velocity loss or gain with shortening the barrel? i think from owning pcp,s in the past that most or at least the air force models will continue to compress air until the pellet launches, where i think springers get 1 quick puff of air, so in my feeble mind i think a shorter barrel may benifit performance? wouldnt be the first time i was wrong, just dont want to ruin a barrel to find out im wrong

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:40 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
I have a Air Arms tx200hc which is a carbine version of the standard tx200, it has a 9.1/2 “ barrel a against the standard 16” and both shoot the same numbers.

The thing is that the spring and cylinder porting are tailored to suit the purpose, the way a Springer uses air is the same as any other airgun, it is made so that piston does not slam into the end of the cylinder as soon as you pull the trigger, it rides on a cushion of compressed air until the pellet is about to leave the barrel.

So if you cut down the barrel you will have to alter the internals to get the same performance, probably change the spring or pack it out a bit, provided there is enough room to stop the coils binding, I find a .22 is easier than a .177. To do.

Al

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
lonegunman88240
tx is a underlever isnt it? if not how had is it to cock at 9.5 inches

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:17 am Reply with quote
Alstone
I don't have any problem cocking the Tx, I have shot 500 pellets a day on the range and I can manage it OK. But living in the UK power output is limited to 12 flb

Al

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
lonegunman88240
well finally got the rifle in my hands after nearly 3 weeks of waiting, it was from my nephew so wasnt to concerned about, the stock wasnt completely broken just split across the pistol grip so i cross drilled it, pinned and glued it together and then clamped it, it drying now, he did replace the broken spring, but still considering a nitro conversion, just have to wait until i put it back together and see how it shoots

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
i cross drilled it, pinned and glued it together

You should be in good shape. I got a Hakim with the stock not just split but busted in three pieces. I did as you did, cross-drilling and pinning (in my case with shish kebab skewers). The fix has lasted five years now. Last spring I repaired a split in my Sheridan in a similar manner, but with deck screws bedded in epoxy. Also good.

Quote:
would it be worth converting to nitro?

It is certainly possible. I own both gas piston and metal spring guns, and to me the difference isn't as great as marketing would lead one to believe. If the Quest were mine I think I would take the effort of a nitro conversion and devote it to tuning the metal spring. De-burring, polishing, fitted guides, thin thrust washers, - that kind of thing.

Quote:
if you cut down the barrel you will have to alter the internals to get the same performance

I agree with Alstone. At the very least you would change the gun's pellet preference, requiring a bit of testing to find the best one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
lonegunman88240
got it all together, and cleaned up, shot it a few times, the thing is quieter than my benajamin nitro, seems to hit pretty hard, need a few things like the cross pin that fits in back near the end cap, front and rear sight, and the adjustment covers on the center point scope, since it shoots pretty good as is i may just leave it as it is

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
Slavia
I would replace the cross pin immediately. Right now the only thing keeping the spring from driving the guide back into your face is the screw in the trigger group.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
lonegunman88240
is there anything i can subsitute the pin with that would be found in a hardware store?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:21 am Reply with quote
Slavia
I made one once out of the smooth part of a drill bit (a cheap one - it doesn't have to cut). Wire gauge drills come in increments of about .002". (Wire gauge drills are the ones with a number rather than an inch measurement, like #22 etc.) To trim I spun it in a drill and (while spinning) cut it with a Dremel and abrasive cutoff wheel.

If you take calipers or a micrometer to the store there may be a long machine screw that will work (the longer ones aren't threaded the whole length.)

Or, just order the thing from Crosman.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:31 am Reply with quote
lonegunman88240
is there any eternal parts that it holds in place or is it just a barrier for extra safety?
freebie 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing