Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns » What is the most accurate/highest quality BB?
What is the most accurate/highest quality BB? 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
etraeger
I've been shooting the Crosman Copperheads but I'm getting a lot of flyers and I notice that almost all of them have imperfections that are not only visible, but I can also feel them, so its no wonder it affects their flight. Some people have said that the copper coating causes some fouling in the barrel. I've heard some people say that the Daisy Premium BBs are better. Are there any other brands that are comparable to or better than the Daisy Premiums?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Welcome to the forum!

The best advice is to try as many kinds as possible. Two guns of the same model could have different ammunition "preferences."

You could try precision ground BB's. Avanti BB's are ground to match the bore of an Avanti (Daisy) 499. The gun loads from the muzzle, and the BB's are so closely matched to the bore that they take a couple of seconds to settle to the bottom. You don't mention what kind of gun you have, but most BB guns aren't built that precisely.

It's possible that you might not notice any difference no matter what you do. BB guns are inherently inaccurate platforms. The BB's are undersize for the bore (0.171" to 0.173" in a nominally 0.177" bore). Besides that, BB barrels are smoothbore, without rifling to impart spin. Don't get me wrong - I'm not putting down BB guns. I own several myself. It's just that they are not that accurate.

Like I said, try as many kinds as you can.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Avanti_Precision_Ground_Shot_177_Cal_5_1_Grains_BBs_500ct/398
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_Avanti_Champion_499/617
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BB_gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
shawn706
We shoot the Avanti precision ground BB's in competition. We sort them under a magnifying glass and toss out any with imperfections.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
We shoot the Avanti precision ground BB's in competition. We sort them under a magnifying glass and toss out any with imperfections.

I remember that you said you are a 4H coach. I did that about 10 years ago, and I'm still a Minnesota DNR volunteer firearm safety instructor. I applaud your involvement with the sport's future.

When you have time, I would be interested in a different thread about your program. BB's, guns, venues, range management, the whole thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
shawn706
This website has just about everything you would want to know about our program.

http://www.georgia4h.org/safe/disciplines/bb.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
etraeger
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. And thank you to Slavia and Shawn for the advice. Shawn, that must take some time to sort through each BB like that! I'm sure it pays off though. I have several air guns, pistols, rifles, BB, pellet. I get pretty decent accuracy with my smooth bores (even pistols), but I noticed with my Crosman MK-177 BB/pellet rifle that I get more flyers. So I don't know if it is just this particular gun or the BBs. I have read that the Daisy Premiums are smoother and have fewer imperfections than the Copperheads though. I may order some Avanti and try those. I should also have cleaned the bore first. I heard that some of the new guns can come with gunked up bores.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quote
shawn706
The avarage hand full of rocks has less imperfections than copperheads. Not sure about the specifics of the gun your using, but if its a rifled barrel I could see that maybe causing the bb to bounce down the barrel (relitively speaking) instead of picking up the desired spin. It does take alot of time to sort the Avantis but its definatly worth it in compitition. I found one, that looked like it had a bite taken out of it once.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:33 am Reply with quote
shawn706
Also, you can buy precision grade ball berrings. We use those in compititions that allow them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
etraeger
Are the ball bearings much more expensive than the Avantis? How do they compare weight-wise? What is the true caliber of the ball bearings? As I read, regular BBs are actually smaller than .177"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
shawn706
They mic out at .1720. You have to buy 15000 and they cost $154.83. They are harder and heavyer but I don't know by how much. We'er happy with them, but we can't use them at all matches. They don't shoot any better than well sorted Avanti's but there's no sorting required. We go through about 2000 per practice but since they're harder we can reuse them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
Luposian
shawn706 wrote:
They mic out at .1720. You have to buy 15000 and they cost $154.83. They are harder and heavyer but I don't know by how much. We'er happy with them, but we can't use them at all matches. They don't shoot any better than well sorted Avanti's but there's no sorting required. We go through about 2000 per practice but since they're harder we can reuse them.

Where can I buy these precision ball-bearings ye speak of?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:03 am Reply with quote
shawn706
Thomson Precision Ball
www.thomsonprecisionball.com

Grade Grade 25
Material Chrome Steel 52100 (HCC)
Size 11/64
Type B
BBs 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Pubtym
I am using Crosman "Black Widow" precision Steel BB's. 1000 count=$5.99 on Amazon. Fits in all my BB pistols. Great accuracy too. Mr. Green

Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns