Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » What are online airgun sellers in the US not doing? Goto page 1, 2  Next
What are online airgun sellers in the US not doing? 
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Just curious what people in the US's opinions are on what online airgun sellers (i.e. Pyramyd/Cobra/whoever) are either not doing right, or could be doing that they're not doing currently?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I'm not in the US, but I have a couple of things that bug me.... When something isn't in stock at PA, they always seem have a date out 2 weeks.... When the date comes up, they move it out 2 more weeks.... They may do this 4-5 times, always moving it another 2 weeks.... Obviously, they either don't have a clue when they will have it, or if the first guess (or date given by the manufacturer) is wrong and they don't get it, they just move it out another 2 weeks.... sometimes for months....

If you have specified that you don't want part of the order shipped and to wait for everything to be in stock, and one of the items WAS in stock while they were waiting for the balance.... they WILL NOT hold the item for you.... More than once, I have had an order delayed further because item 1 was out of stock when item 2 finally got there.... so the order still didn't ship.... The item 2 was out of stock when item 1 came in again.... I have waited over 3 months on one occasion.... This was just for pellets, BTW....

In addition, but this is only important for Canadians, they refuse to ship via USPS, they will only use UPS or FedEx, which charge ridiculous brokerage fees.... IMO, this part of their customer service SUCKS.... Consequently, I only order from them when I can't get it elsewhere....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
dobiman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There seems to be a lack of references to airgun servicing on some PCP airguns they sell.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
OK- so what I'm hearing is; poor inventory management, unclear shipping policies (for international shipments) and lack of support on products.

Any other funky things that people have experienced?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
I have only had positive experiences with them; When I make an order I somehow always manage to include a back-ordered item. They usually email me, but this time after I responded to half their email (regarding what to do with one backordered item but not the other,) a very pleasant lady named Ruth called and helped me replace the back-ordered pellets with an identical pellet sold under another name. I'm not international, so no comment on that- but I agree their stock forecasts are a little dishonest.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
This is not a specific thread on Pyramyd or anyone else- I would like to know where the shortcomings are with different vendors.

No offense to anyone- but I really don't care what peoples positive interactions are/were with vendors or hear debates on one vendor- that is not the question.

The question, just to state it again is: Where are online airgun vendors falling short?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
redlock
Since you only want the short comings here is one I find common with new sites run by older folks who want to start a home type business; and that is to set up a web site and email address to it and then ignore the damn thing. They either don't update their site for price/inventory or don't service the email account, i.e. don't answer messages quickly enough (once a week maybe). This is not common overall, but typical of a certain type of business owner.
Red.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I don't think that age has anything to do with it.... but I agree, a lot of smaller online vendors who are trying to expand their hobby into a business don't have a clue how to run a business or what customer service is....

Bob

Last edited by rsterne on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Don't worry, I don't take offense to anything :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Here is another gripe for you, Eric....

http://airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?p=78522

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I saw that- and I think about the only thing I can suggest is that anyone with a "monopoly" or at least a perceived monopoly (i.e. they are perceived to be the only one with a specific product) may tend to be more flexible (for lack of a better term) in respect to ethics.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
redlock
rsterne wrote:
I don't think that age has anything to do with it.... but I agree, a lot of smaller online vendors who are trying to expand their hobby into a business don't have a clue how to run a business or what customer service is....

Bob

It has been my experience that age does make a difference. Older folks that have retired and open a small web business often do not have a feel for how immediate the expectations are of those people who are connected most of the time, generally younger folks. These older business people fail to do the research needed to run a web business but spend all of their planning time on out web design and how to get the thing up and running. This means they don't appreciate the amount of work needed to service the emails and requests for info which comes as an unpleasant surprise once it begins. I have seen it happen numerous times. It is a classic case of having a mistaken understanding one's market.
Red.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Ohhhhhhhhh... I get it!.... Old = dumb.... and young = impatient....

When I was 15 I used to think my old man didn't know much either.... By the time I was 45 I was surprised how much he had learned in the past 30 years.... *wink*....

The above is my old, feeble attempt at humour, BTW....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
rsterne wrote:
Ohhhhhhhhh... I get it!.... Old = dumb.... and young = impatient....

When I was 15 I used to think my old man didn't know much either.... By the time I was 45 I was surprised how much he had learned in the past 30 years.... *wink*....

The above is my old, feeble attempt at humour, BTW....

Bob

Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
That must mean all of us middle-aged types must be perfect!

Razz

In respect to the "old timer business"- in my experience I believe it is a certain mindset on the vendor, as in "I want to do only x and y" but they don't communicate this as effectively as possible, so when people ask questions, they either unintentionally provide feeble replies, or ignore them as a result of it being outside their area of interest or business which is then perceived as a failure by potential customers. Then, the (most likely retired) person says- "you know, I really don't need this kind of hostility, so 'ef it, I'll just stop and do my own thing." The only real failure here is the person was perhaps not totally clear on their objectives when communicating to customers. Of course, some potential 'customers' just don't "get it" either- the number of people who go to webstores in other countries, look at a list of where the store will ship, don't find their country, so they write an email stating something like "your website is defective, it doesn't list my country" or "yer a dick 'cause you won't ship to me".

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

What are online airgun sellers in the US not doing? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics