Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » Trigger mods
Trigger mods 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
cyberfish2
I put a GRT-III trigger in my Gamo Whisper, and had a little trigger spring left over. I was really pleased with the improvement.
Soooo, when I had the Crosman Titan NP apart to tune and replace a piston seal, I thought I wonder what would happen if I just take out this little trigger spring? The Titan had a gritty, long trigger pull.
Now, it has a very short hair trigger, and a trigger pull probably in the low ounce range. I polished the sear surfaces, too.
From one extreme to the other, possibly dangerous.
I think I'll get some small diameter music wire and make a lighter replacement spring.
Can music wire be annealed, bent to shape, and re-hardened?

.22/.177 Beeman RS2
.177 Daisy 880
Several pistols and antique airguns.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
The only thing that little spring does is to return the trigger to its full-forward position. The trigger swings through a long arc without touching anything, and then suddenly you're pulling against the combined force of the trigger spring and the strut spring (intermediate sear). The GRT trigger uses the strut spring for its whole length of travel.

As far as being dangerous - the original so-called "adjustment screw" works by disengaging the sear. Screw it in too far and you can leave the sear hanging by a thread, but that's no different than it was originally.

As with any springer, you should always have one hand on the barrel/cocking lever when loading, and always keep it pointed in a safe direction.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
cyberfish2
Slavia wrote:
The only thing that little spring does is to return the trigger to its full-forward position. The trigger swings through a long arc without touching anything, and then suddenly you're pulling against the combined force of the trigger spring and the strut spring (intermediate sear). The GRT trigger uses the strut spring for its whole length of travel.

As far as being dangerous - the original so-called "adjustment screw" works by disengaging the sear. Screw it in too far and you can leave the sear hanging by a thread, but that's no different than it was originally.

As with any springer, you should always have one hand on the barrel/cocking lever when loading, and always keep it pointed in a safe direction.

Thanks for the info. I shoot it safely enough; never cock and load it until I'm ready to shoot. However, the trigger pull is so light, I'd be a little worried about setting it down too hard, say butt first, on the floor, because just jarring it might be enough to discharge it. I don't handle it in this manner anyway, nor does anyone else shoot my airguns, but I would like to have about a two pound trigger pull. Can I get a light aftermarket spring for it, or do I have to make my own? (Which I can do, if need be.)
Meantime, it's a real pleasure to shoot it as is...

.22/.177 Beeman RS2
.177 Daisy 880
Several pistols and antique airguns.
Gamo Tactical 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote
Jerkimiah
Have just got my air rifle, but the trigger is very bad, the system is plastic!! uis there an after market trigger for this air rifle, if so, what would the best one be?
I live in South Africa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
This is the only one I know of:
http://www.charliedatuna.com/GRT-4G.htm

Also read this supplier's disclaimer regarding shipping to South Africa:
http://www.charliedatuna.com/Place%20Order%20non%20PP.htm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/

Go to "Custom Triggers" then select "GTX".

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
Go to "Custom Triggers" then select "GTX".

I stand corrected, the CDT trigger is not the only alternative. Except - the GTX trigger will not fit the newer Gamo plastic triggers. Instead, on that same site look for "Gamo PTG Mod."

The GRT-4G is a complete replacement trigger. The PTG Mod is a little piece that is added to the original plastic trigger. The PTG is less expensive, and is not adjustable. Both alternatives use the same geometry and both delete the trigger spring. The difficulty of installation appears to be equal for both.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing