Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » Screw Holders
Screw Holders 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
How many of you have had to shorten a screw and either damaged it, lost it, or even worse had it injure you?.... Yeah, pretty much everyone that works in a shop has burned their fingers, or had the grinder grab a screw and launch it into oblivion or crunch it to an unusable state.... Pliers?.... Nope, useless, been there, done that, got the T-shirt.... Well here is an idea I came up with to avoid that problem, and it even straightens the theads when you are finished munching on them....

Just take a piece of scrap band iron or angle, and drill and tap some holes in it for the different screws you commonly use, particularly the smaller sizes, which are so difficult to hang onto.... I used a piece of 1" x 1/8" for the machine screws, and a piece of 3/16" thick 1"x1" angle for the bolts.... I marked the ends to indicate what the threads were with a Dremel.... You simply insert the screw in the hole, let it stick out the back, and put your finger against the head to prevent it from rotating and grind away.... The metal works like a heat sink to some degree, if it gets hot enough to burn your finger, you likely are getting the screw too hot and destroying the temper anyway, time to dunk it.... If it's a really short setcrew, stick an allen key in the socket to keep it from turning while you grind it....

Finally, a way to shorten screws without losing or destroying them or getting hurt.... I'm sure somebody else thought of this long ago, but I've never seen it before....

Bob

Re: Screw Holders 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
AgentWD40_FL
rsterne wrote:
.... I'm sure somebody else thought of this long ago, but I've never seen it before....

Bob

Yeah, thats been around awhile ... at least to me. Believe, I learned it when I worked in a machine shop in the 80's.

In a pinch, you can use an appropriate nut clamped in a vice .... and/or, if you have enough threads, lock 2 nuts against themselves at the desired depth ... this keeps the screw from turning whilest grinding

The plate idea is good too ... make it once and you'll always have it, Thumb Up! instead of foraging for the right sized nut all the time

Crosman 38C .22
Crosman MK 1 .22
Crosman 1740 Carbine
Crosman 2300KT CCS .177
Crosman 1377 w/BSA Red Dot
Beeman P-17
Gamo PT-85 w/Laser Sight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
I have been using one since the 1950s but slightly different, the threaded holes are drilled in a straight line, in a piece of ¼” flat bar, then you saw slot from one end of the bar through the centre of each threaded hole, stopping just past the last hole.
You then screw the screw to be shortened in so that the amount needed to be cut off sticks out one side, then clamp the metal bar in a vice, this will clamp the screw tightly so it will not move when cutting.
An old idea in many forms.

Al

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
rws48
New to me and advice well taken.
I'll make one up. Mr. Green

About 35 powder handguns
25 powder rifles.
5 muzzle loaders.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
lampy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ever wonder what those threaded holes in your wire strippers are for?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CIABELcCMAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Df8UwifeNx3M&ei=DtXSVODYLsjeggSDiYS4DQ&usg=AFQjCNEeJMSxG9eQUyQaomn3DOEYf9OQHg&sig2=8SDuh4_jRgiVr2lmOP1bYg

You would get a better finish by grinding to length, but I've used the wire strippers cutters for machine screws and they do work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
How do those cutters work on high-tensile screws?.... I can see them working on soft hardware store screws OK....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
lampy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
rsterne wrote:
How do those cutters work on high-tensile screws?.... I can see them working on soft hardware store screws OK....

Bob

I thought about that after I posted the link, I have only used them on the soft machine screws. They probably wouldn't stand up to higher grade screws.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing