Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories » Pistol Case Goto page 1, 2  Next
Pistol Case 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
Slavia
My Marksman 2004 (Beeman P17) is the gun I take traveling, but with all the stuff I've hung on it it barely fit in the cloth case.

Several years ago I got this empty power tool case for free at a garage sale - it just seemed too nice to pass up. I ripped out the innards with a Dremel Multi-Max (a great tool, in my estimation):

I covered up the box's former identity with panels of fine Corinthian Naugahyde (remember Ricardo Montalban and the Chrysler Cordoba?). The vinyl was left over from a church costume project, and the plywood was from drawers that I've been saving since our kitchen remodel five years ago:

I built back the insides with construction styrofoam (again, from a previous home improvement project):

Just so that Eric can't call me cheap again, let me point out that I purchased the Polar Fleece liner material at full retail price, which was about $2.00 at Walmart. I had the spray contact adhesive on hand:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
Crosman140
Great project. Nicely done too.

My travel gun rides in a soft-sided briefcase that I had for years. My 1377 fits in it perfectly along with my shoulder stock and other shooting equipment. It looks like a businessman's briefcase instead of a gun case. Cool

.177 Crosman 1377 (2009)
.177 Daisy 880 (2019)
BB Daisy Red Ryder (2012)
BB Daisy Buck (2019)
BB Crosman 1600 (1980)
BB Marksman 1010 (1979)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:49 am Reply with quote
walter
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
thats great! gorgeous construction and attention to detail! two thumbs up. Smile Smile walt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Bozo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very nice! some more ideas to file away for future reference. I keep intending to build some nice wooden cases for my guns, but I have to unbury the table saw first.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
720fly
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So much better when you do it yourself, nice work Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Very cool Slavia...I really like it. Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
GrizzlyMan
Great job, I am thinking on getting one of those airguns.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where'd this topic come from?!? I must've been asleep that week in December!

Now who's going to call Slavia "cheap" ? Razz

Actually, I have the same problem- I have a small collection of these sorts of plastic cases (from an old video camera, some sort of small/handheld vacuum cleaner, and a couple more from different tools)- but I don't seem to have any extra Fine Corinthian Leather ("Cordoobba") or polar fleece laying about.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
Is Plastic ok? 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Dartssnake
Take a look at these...you can even buy the foam here...

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25092&catid=802

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Big Ern
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can't believe I missed this post too! Awesome work Slavia and great idea. Man I just threw away two DeWalt tool cases that I had laying around a week ago! BTW is that a bi pod I see on that P17? That thing looks bada$$. I would love to see more pics of it!

Ernesto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Airhead
Tool cases work the best! they were basically designed to last and protect a tool from abuse. Im using a old "porter cable" case for an oscilating sander, it is a solid case made of good gauge steel with metal hinges, handle and clasps. No one knows that its a pistol case, and i like it that way!

Benjamin Classsic
Walthers CP Sport

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
robert w
and to think im usin a cheep walmart hunters bag that cost me $12.50 but ti has sides that hold 10 tins of pellets .the weight with my diana 5g tm and all those pellets seem like about 25 pounds but you did a nice job makin that tool case useable slavia

,crosman 400,gamo big cat in .22, diana 5g,diana 54 air king, diana 34 in .22 diana 34 in .177, wilrauch hw-55,and a romainian pioner training rifle , and a huge collection of powder burners 35 last count . 1 would think i have a gun store

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
I would love to see more pics of it

Okey dokey.

This is a Marksman 2004, the previous name for the Beeman P17. It is a single-stroke pumper with a beautiful 2-stage trigger. The gun is only about 3 FPE, but pretty accurate - good enough for spent 12 gauge shells at 25 yards. It is a Chinese copy of the HW40/Beeman P3. It can be had for under $40.00 USD, while the HW40 is $200 more. I'm sure the HW40 is built better, but I'm not sure how it could be $200 worth of "better." The P17 is a lot of gun for $40.00.

I have both read of and experienced three major failures with this gun. First, the inlet to the cylinder is often burred, which chews up the piston seal. I fixed that with a bit of 800 grit abrasive paper and a new "O" ring from an automotive parts store. Second, there is a nut on the valve stem that works loose, causing incomplete air release. That only required a bit of Loctite. Finally, the "hammer" pivot and latch pins work out sideways. One could probably fix that with some Loctite or fingernail polish, I chose to add threaded inserts ("T" nut barrels) and setscrews. The holes were already there, waiting and empty (see bottom photo).

Inside (where you can't see it) I honed and deburred the trigger parts, and shimmed them against side play with Coke can washers. I added a mix of steel BB's and epoxy to the vacant recesses of the grip to balance the weight of the sight. The transfer port was drilled out from 0.098" to 0.125", which added a miniscule amount of velocity but really tightened up the velocity spread. The muzzle crown was polished.

The bipod and bubble level holder were made from "T" slot rail surplussed out by a former employer. The flashlight is mounted in a ring from a cheap 15mm BB gun scope - you can turn that bottom ledge into a dovetail by scraping with the point of a penknife. The target knobs on the scope are instrument knobs from Radio Shack. The trigger was grooved by scraping a tap sideways with a vise grip as an edge guide. The overtravel limiter is a screw in a threaded brass anchor with teflon tape to keep it in place.

The "hammer" spur extensions are socket head screws that thread into the spur and meet halfway through. Ballistics information went into the scope caps, and I removed the paint from the rear of the ocular bezel to create a kind of ghost ring effect - it helps me center the dot to reduce parallax error. The grip material is a 20" bicycle tube. The heel rest and thumb shelf are paint on wood, carved with a Dremel. The heel rest brings muscles of the forearm into play, and reduces stress on the wrist. The cocking pad is toolbox drawer liner.

Here you see the pin retainers I mentioned before. The two wood-type barrel mounting screws were replaced with machine screws and "T" nut anchors. The barrel was bedded in black epoxy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Big Ern
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow Slavia! That is a serious pistol you got there. You have done some amazing work on it. It has to be one of the baddest pistols I've ever seen, great job! Thanks for sharing.

Ernesto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
robert w
slavia thats 1 badazz lookin pistol there

,crosman 400,gamo big cat in .22, diana 5g,diana 54 air king, diana 34 in .22 diana 34 in .177, wilrauch hw-55,and a romainian pioner training rifle , and a huge collection of powder burners 35 last count . 1 would think i have a gun store
Pistol Case 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories