Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » Workshops part 2, building a drill press stand?
Workshops part 2, building a drill press stand? 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
I didn't want to continue my other thread because this is more item specific, but still related to a workshop.

Last fall, while going through all my junk, I found a bunch of unopened stuff I had bought at Home Depot. Loaded it all up, and took it back. Had enough to buy a 10" drill press and one of their basica air tool kits for working on my truck.

In as much as I seem to have alot of time on my hands, this would be a good time to get a few projects done. I had orginally thought of buying a drill press stand from harbor frieght or welding one out of metal myself. Right now I just don't have the budget to do this. I do however have plenty of wood that I can make something out.

I've have a few idea's of what I want to do, but before I start cutting 2x4's for the frame, I'd like to get a few idea's or comments before hand.
Perhaps maybe even a picture or three of what you've all built to would give me some extra ideas.

Since I'm building this from scratch, rather then using someone elses idea of what is good, I have alot of flexiblity. And I plan on taking advantage of that. Instead of just a basic stand, I'm looking more at a drill station.

What exacitlly do I mean by drill station, you may wonder. As I said in my other workshop thread, the majority of my tools are in rubber totes. That includes all my drills and their accesories. Not exactilly practical for a working workshop.

So this is what I've come up with so far using the materials I have on hand. I have a few sheets of 1/2 and 3/4 inch ply, several 2x4's in 7', 8' and 10' lenghts and 1 or 2 2x6's as well.

The framing is simple, just using some standard 2x4's for top frame, and legs, and back cross brace. The drill press manual recommends using 3/4" ply for the top. Size wise, I'm thinking of something larger then just big enough to mount the press to.

Since this will be my drilling station, I'm thinking of making it 4' across and 2' deep. Why so big? Well, then I can add some drawers below the press to keep my bits, and accesories organized. The bottom most drawer I want to make it deep enough I can stow my hammer drill in it's case, and the cases for my other drills too. That eliminates a rubber tote and every thing is neat and organized.

Questions I have.... I'm 5,10". What's a good base hieght for the legs? Mind you, since my floor (both garage and basement) slope. I'll be adding adustable feet to keep everything level.

The other question is about building the drawers. I knew someone that worked for a kitchen cabinet company, and he gave me a bunch of drawer slides. Problem is, I don't know the weight ratings, they're at best 15" long, and they don't have the portion that gets screwed on to the drawer. The part that gets attached to the drawer I may be able to buy singlely at home depot, I'm not sure. But since I don't know the weight capacity of these sliders and they're not 22 inches long (I figure that's about how deep I can really make the drawers if the frame and top are 24" deep), that I'm going to need to buy new sliders.

So building the drawers will have to wait, but I need to know something else before I do so. And that's how to conpensate for the slides when making the drawers. Since it looks like I'll need to buy sliders, to make everything sturdy, I'm going to go with full extention ones that also come with a center slide. The shallower drawers that will old stuff like bits, and such may not need that much support weight wise, but concidering the very least the bottom of the draw is going to be somewher's around 44" across, it's a good measure to add.

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks,

Jax

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing