Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » Mini-Lathe
Mini-Lathe 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I have imagined how much fun I could have with a lathe (and all the *special* parts I could make). I was wondering how much a small lathe would set me back? Need to have one that would take over 1" OD metal, over 1" bits, has some decent power. Any ball parks?

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
lauchlin
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I payed 250 for this one and it's not made in china and thats what i am going to sell it for

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
What are the specs on it?

BTW: I like that (mig?) welder you got in the background... I asked my teacher how much mig welders are and he never answered me.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
lauchlin
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
craftmen 109

http://craftsman109.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Fritz,

I really depends on what you wanna use the mig for. Lite hobby stuff, you can get an el cheapo mig from harbor frieght on sale for around $100, but I wouldn't recommend their Chicago Electric brand welders.

I've got a hobby Lincoln "3200 pak" that I bought from Home Depot. Had I known better, I wouldn't have bought it, but then again I was, or would still like a job as a welder. This set me back $500. I can only weld stock that's 3/8" or thinner. And I wouldn't even think about trying aluminium because you can't get a trigger spool hose for my unit.

For a good all around unit. Many of the people I've talked to on a welding forum recommend the Hobart Handler 187. Depending on area and if it's on sale that will run you $600-$800.

While I wouldn't buy a Harbor Frieght welder. I would't mind one of their laths. Look at all the wonderful toys Joe has made with his!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:01 am Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Jaxom wrote:
Look at all the wonderful toys Joe has made with his!

Fritzy likes toys. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
stewartlittle
Working at a machine shop I have access to that kind of stuff.If I have to move to job that did'nt have lathe.drill presses,mills and welders,I'ld have to buy some small units for the house.

I dont know the brand,but I seen this all-in-one,it had a small lathe,mill and drill press all in one unit.But I dont think it would handle anything bigger than 1''.

Mig is good for most welding,but if you have never tig welded,you need to try it.It takes some getting use to,but it is very precise when you get decent at it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
Jaxom
Stewart,

You're right about that. One idea I was tossing around for a side buisness was after I had mastered tig welding, was onsite aluminium boat repair.

While mig would work, tig is best for aluminium.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Fritz if you are going to get a lathe and you want 1" through the head stock then get the biggest lathe you can afford, something like a Harbor Freight 9 x 20 very popular in the States.

Most people who buy a first lathe get one they think will do what they want, then find out it's to small and regret it, so give it a bit of thought first.

Al

Last edited by Alstone on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Lucky for me, I have access to free electrodes for arc welding, free use of mig welders, and free tig use for steel and aluminum.

EDIT: pretty much, if I can bring it to school, I can weld it for free.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
dummyracer36
Smithy makes some really good "3 in 1" machines that wont break the bank.

http://www.smithy.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Yeah, I was looking at that HB 9x20 myself. I can't see a need for anything larger for my hobby interests. I thought price was reasonable when I seen it advertised at $749, but now it's only $699!

Harbor Frieght is having issues though. As a expiernece retail manager I my interest in working for HB was pirqued. I reciently had a conversation with a manager of one of their new brick and mortar stores. Seems HB has expanded too rapidly and they can't keep stock...in stock. He also noted that where they once ran an ad for just one week, they now run ths same ad for 3-5 weeks in a row.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
The thing about the Harbor Freight 9 x 20 is that it is well supported by the model engineering fraternity, and as such can be looked on in the same light as the 2240 in the air gun world. You could go out and buy the crème de la crème of small lathes the Myford. But it would cost a fortune, whereas the HB is a good starting point at a reasonable cost.

There is only one thing to take into consideration and that is that it is a Chinese lathe, but there again nearly all cheap lathes are, the main bed, headstock, runways, tail stock and all the major machining, is done by the same type of CNC machines you will find in your country, the diffrence is they are put together by paddy field workers.

So don't let me put you off, look on one like a QB-78 rifle a good strip down and lube and you have a tool that will last a life time.

Al

Mini-Lathe 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing