Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » Try This With Synthetic Stocks
Try This With Synthetic Stocks 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
I use Armor All on my guns with synthetic stocks. I just spritz on a light mist and work it around with a soft-bristled brush. The brush evens it out, distributes it into all the nooks and crannies, and knocks down the gloss a bit.

This works especially well on pickup truck bed liner. If you try to wipe that stuff with a cloth, the abrasive "non-skid" particles grab at the fibers and it winds up looking terrible. The brush goes over it with no problem.

The manufacturer's MSDS describes it as a "silicone emulsion," and it makes things a little slippery (but not objectionable). Don't drench the surface; a light mist is enough. Don't use the brush again for paint, and be sure optic lenses are covered.

MSDS:
http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/msds/armorallstp/armoralloriginalprotectant1-98.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
super6
It sounds goofy, but plain old spray furniture polish works well also. If it has lemon oil, it'll smell nice too. The ultimate is Johnson's paste wax, but that's more work..works very well for protecting metal in wet environments after removing all traces of oil. Whatever floats your boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
I had heard of using paste wax in harsh hunting environments. I mainly use it on wood stocks.

If it's a scented gun you're after, mineral oil with a scent ("baby oil") works good, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
woodhippy
Slavia, I never thought of using Armor All or a similar product on synthetic stocks and just about all of my guns are in one. I will have to try it out on one and see what the results are in the "slippery" area. I'd hate to be in a life or death situation and go to grab the AK and yank it up to fire and it take flight. There's a time and place for lubrication, and a greasy gun stock isn't right. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
woodhippy
Slavia, what kind of mount are you using for your mag light under that nice looking pistol? I used one on a tact 10-22 with 1'' scope rings and some adapters I bought from an online gun store called tickbitesupply. I got a push button end cap switch and a curly cord pressure switch, an led bulb, and it worked pretty well. Thanks, Eric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
There's a time and place for lubrication, and a greasy gun stock isn't right.

I certainly agree with you! With a defensive gun, your life depends upon being able to hang on and use the thing when it becomes necessary. With an airgun, you want the lightest hold possible while still maintaining control. Both require "grip."

I like Armor All because it leaves a nice finish, and it takes care of ugly oxidation in synthetic materials. Being a silicone emulsion, it does make hard surfaces slippery, at least initially. After 30 minutes or so the surface becomes significantly less slippery. With pickup truck bed liner there is so much embedded grit that it never does get slick.

On resilient materials, I have found that it actually makes them tacky - especially with rubber. Maybe it penetrates and makes them more pliable; I'm not sure. I've found this to be true on rubber, toolbox shelf liner, and vinyl. Besides factory grip aids like checkering/embossing and "knobby things," I use a lot of resilient materials on my guns:

Quote:
what kind of mount are you using for your mag light

It's a scope ring from one of those piece-of-junk 15mm scopes, plus a sleeve of heat-shrink tubing. I drilled and tapped a hole in the rear so I could screw it to the trigger guard. There was no dovetail there originally, so I scraped the point of my pocket knife sideways along the ledge until there was enough for the claws to grab.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
woodhippy
That stock cheek rest is a neat idea! I got the stock for my 1377 and have been thinking of a way, material, method of making a cheek rest for it and that has the cranial gears grinding. I have a Hi Point .45 pistol that has an accessory rail, but the rail is unique to only Hi Points mounts. I got the dial caliper out, did a bit of measuring, and am now filing a scope ring with a weaver rail to fit their "unique" rail. Were I not in the midst of a seperation I'd have chucked it up in the cross slide vise, put a cutter in my drill press, and machined the flat surface and would only have to file the angled part. But, I have tools and equipment in three different locations right now 35 miles apart which makes welding, grinding, drilling, tapping, polishing, buffing, jeweling, quite a mulit-tasking nightmare.
Thanks for the ideas Slavia, when I get some kitchen table engineering completed I'll post some pics. Respectfully, Eric Sr.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
Slavia
The cheek rest is Walmart's cheapest pancake griddle - about $15.00 with enough to do two guns. I didn't have a local source for sheet aluminum that was thick enough, otherwise.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing