Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » Threading a barrel
Threading a barrel 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Hey, I will have a hand threader tomarrow and a clamp, I plan to thread about 3/8" of the end of my barrel.

Any tips?

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Make sure you have a lubricant for the job- i.e. tapping oil. Things won't gum up as easily and if you spray a bit on here and there the tool won't heat up too much and get damaged/wear as easily. Heat is your enemy when tapping or drilling steel.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Will do.

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Amigo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't go there!

Last edited by Amigo on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barrel threading OOPS 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Amigo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Fritz:
I did not realize what your intentions were until I discovered one of your earlier posts.
I urge in strongest terms - DON'T DO IT Exclamation
Please do not scoff at the law.

Amigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
Jaxom
If it's in reguards to building a supressor, I agree with everyone else, unless you're willing to pay the fee for having one...don't do it! It's not worth sharing a small cell with a big burly guy that's overly affectionate and thinks your kinda cute for 5-7 years!

Havingt said all that...I would still like to know how to thread a muzzle myself. I've seen many muzzle breaks, flash suppressors, lazer mounts that all screw onto the end of the barrel. I personally would not want to use any of these devices if it used a set screw arrangement that would mar my barrel!

I've got a really odd ball idea I would like to build a muzzle break for my 1077. I know there's some already made for this gun, BUT I want to mount a flashlight/lazer combo on it as well. My local gun shop has one of those mini lights that uses 12 leds, then if you hit the switch a second time those go off and a lazor comes on. Kinda think that would be a fun accessor to have...especially if I could run some wires down the insdie of the fake barrel on the 1077 and mount some sort of switch near the trigger area.

But again, I'd prefer to screw this on, and not use set screws!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:09 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
You really need a lathe to thread a gun barrel otherwise it is very difficult to get the thread square with the barrel, and if that is not square then it is a waste of time.

Ok so to thread a gun barrel without a lathe, you can use something like an electricians conduit threader which has a tube behind the die which sits around the barrel and keeps the thread square.

You can make one of these quite easy, all you need is a piece of tube with the inside bore the same size as the die you are going to use, fasten the die in one end and put a plastic or wooden bush in the other bored out to the size of the barrel, you can then use a wrench to turn the whole lot round to thread the barrel, don't forget to back off each half turn of the die, and as Eric says use plenty of lube.

This is an ideal way to mount muzzle breaks. Smile Smile

Al

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Another way is a clamping collar.

I used a cast-off paintball barrel for the muzzle brake on my Slavia. It has a nominal 0.680" bore, and the Slavia barrel is somewhere in the 0.620" region. That leaves 0.060" of space, or 0.030" on each side. I rolled a collar from thin aluminum strap that fits in that space. The setscrews are threaded through the outer tube (brake) and bear against the collar inside. In turn, the collar clamps against the barrel without leaving screw bites.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing