Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » free floating vs banded barrels
free floating vs banded barrels 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
loki22
This may be a stupid question but I am going to ask anyways,maybe it's comparing apples to oranges. I noticed that on some air rifles and powder burners that there is a metal band around the Barrel on some of the rifles while others don't. I know it's something to do with the way the harmonics affects the barrel when the rifle is shot. So what's the difference between them, how do I know if that metal band is needed to keep it accurate. My qb78d has one about 3" from the end of the barrel and it's tight to the barrel that is tight to the co2 tube and there is only one set screw that secures it to the breech it needs the support or the seals won't last long and the scope is mounted on the breech. Now I want to get a pcp, I am looking at a used Marader it also has a barrel band but is very lose around the barrel and has seen a lot of use. I tried it out and the shot groups for a rifle like that was ok not what I expected it also had a bipod bolted to the barrel that I don't like (doesn't have swivel studs) and I know it needs work done on it. So saying all that are the bands on this marauder needed or worn out. I've seen some high end gun that don't have them at all is this one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
The Marauder has a free floating barrel, the band is only to keep it from bending too far in any direction. When I had my Discovery I removed enough wood to place my barrel band right in front of the pressure gauge so the rest of it was completely free floating. The reason for floating barrels is there is nothing touching it altering the harmonics when the gun is fired
free floating vs banded barrels 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
loki22
So would my qb78 be better off with out the barrel band.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:29 am Reply with quote
dcw
you'll find most high dollar, benchrest/competition air riles have free-floated barrels. there is no heat factor as PB's have.

the long tube of military PB's, of the past, were banded in an effort to keep the barrel in the same position so as not to adversely affect accuracy. air rifle barrels are not subjected to the heat and consequently, do not warp/bend during operation, and air rifle barrels are, usually, short in comparison, and again, less susceptible to warpage.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles