Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » My Current Go To AirRifle (Sears 126-19300/Crosman 140) Goto page 1, 2  Next
My Current Go To AirRifle (Sears 126-19300/Crosman 140) 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My newest high end AirRifle is a Sears 126-19300 variant of the Crosman 140.

After resealing and replacing the piston head with an O-Ringed piston head, and boring the transfer pore plus poly tube transfer port (the standard things when getting a Crosman 140), this one shoots right at 16FPE with 22 grain pellets (Gamo TS-22, its favorite) at 10 pumps.

It took a good deal of shooting to find its favorite pellet. At first it was looking like it would love any pellet (except for Crosman premiers of any kind), and it does like just about any pellet, it will shoot sup dimes at 15 yards with almost anything that is NOT Crosman (even Daisy Pointed).

In the end I found that it cuts the average group size in half to use Gamo TS-22 pellets, and these give a measured BC of 0.030 from this gun at 6 pumps (where I will mostly hunt with this rifle), That is extraordinary and gives a lot of potential range for hunting, so long as I can keep it in a dime out that far Smile (have not gotten a chance to shoot at distance yet).

I am still working on cleaning up the scope mount groves on this one, it had a bit of rust on it that effected the groves poorly, so I am shooting only open sights so far.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sweet!

Reflect Jesus Christ-Not your surroundings.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Robw wrote:
Sweet!

Thank you.

I have grown to really like the older Crosmans (101, 120, 140, and 1400). I have my 101 and 140, now I would like to find a 102, then I will have a complete set for my use.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
CENTURION
I've got a couple of 140's, for such a small compact rifle they pack a punch, I actually like them better than the Benjamin's, they seem lighter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CENTURION wrote:
I've got a couple of 140's, for such a small compact rifle they pack a punch, I actually like them better than the Benjamin's, they seem lighter.

I think they are lighter than the Benjamen's, though I am not sure. They are great shooters for sure.

They are the most powerful and accurate .22 caliber pumpers I have. The most powerful period. Only my Dasiy 953 beats them in accuracy Smile .

I need to figure out how to make a good drop sear and trigger assembly that will fit in the trigger pack on this one, so that I can take a ten pump shot if I need the extra power. Though that is a minor issue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is nice to see a pump rifle without the action made out of
plastic or die-cast.

Not using brass for the barrel is a big plus too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
CENTURION
Yep, that's why you see these guys around 50-60 years and going strong. They made stuff to last, and repairable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Robw wrote:
plastic or die-cast.

Yes the old Crosman rifles were made well. I think this one may outlive me, maybe even last till my grand children are old Smile.

There is nothing like the older Crosman pumpers.

Not to mention that it is still difficult to find a pumper with the power of the Crosman 140, assuming that your 140 is in great shape. It is more powerful than my Webley Rebel .22, or my neighbors Benjamin 392.

And the one hole accuracy of these is amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CENTURION wrote:
Yep, that's why you see these guys around 50-60 years and going strong. They made stuff to last, and repairable.

Only 50 to 60 years? My Crosman 101 is 80 years old, and still had its original seals until a month ago, and it was still shooting ok on the original seals (now it is shooting great again). Not to mention that my 101 still has good rifling despite having a brass barrel, and who knows how many tens of thousands of shots through it. If I can get the barrel free on the 101 I will replace it with a steel one.

I fully expect my Crosman 140 to last at least as long. I think that the quality is a bit higher than the 101, and it has a steel barrel with a significant OD. I will be shooting this 140 when I am to old to do much else, pumping will be my main work out in 50 years when I am 86 years old, and the rifle is over 106 years old.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think that I will pursue a 140. I wonder what one would shoot like with a
Lother Walther barrel?

Thank you gentlemen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
CENTURION
DavidSaunders wrote:
Robw wrote:
plastic or die-cast.

Yes the old Crosman rifles were made well. I think this one may outlive me, maybe even last till my grand children are old Smile.

Not to mention that it is still difficult to find a pumper with the power of the Crosman 140, assuming that your 140 is in great shape. It is more powerful than my Webley Rebel .22, or my neighbors Benjamin 392.

How do you like the Rebel, I looked at those and they seemed to have some negative reviews and they were actually Chinese (I have some good Chinese guns as well). Looks like they are mostly plastic, but I thought something to be a little different than Crossmans/Benjamin's

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CENTURION wrote:
DavidSaunders wrote:
Robw wrote:
plastic or die-cast.

How do you like the Rebel, I looked at those and they seemed to have some negative reviews and they were actually Chinese (I have some good Chinese guns as well). Looks like they are mostly plastic, but I thought something to be a little different than Crossmans/Benjamin's

The rebel is actually a well made Air Rifle, though you do need to de bur a few things before use (ore you will ruin seals in a hurry). I just got it a few weeks ago, and only because of the blow off valve (like used in the Crosman 140), though the Rebel is way worse on the trigger than the 140.

I think most of the negative reviews come from those that do not take the time to look for burs and remove them, and then a few that do not like the trigger.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
CENTURION
Where are the burrs, in the pump tube? or did you actually disassemble the whole gun and rework the valve? I'd like to have another .22 pump just for plinking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CENTURION wrote:
Where are the burrs, in the pump tube? or did you actually disassemble the whole gun and rework the valve? I'd like to have another .22 pump just for plinking.

The plastic around the bolt probe/barrel lead, and pump tube. Easy,

Though if you want a good plinker in .22 get a Crosman 1400 or Daisy 22X. Both are better than the Rebel, and cost less than the rebel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I really like that 1400. It reminds me of the 1377 and 1322 I have. Does
anyone today build a similar style pump rifle?

My Current Go To AirRifle (Sears 126-19300/Crosman 140) 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles