Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » UPDATE: New Control Unit Co2 Tube Heating
UPDATE: New Control Unit Co2 Tube Heating 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
To control the power of a Co2 gun you need a steady gas pressure and this is difficult to obtain, especially when you are outside in changing temperatures.
So this is my setup for a constant Co2 pressure supply, I shoot at around 800 psi but this can be adjusted. And all for a few pounds.

You will need a Handel bar heater from china (Ebay) cost including shipping £2.99 a thermal switch £2.50 (Ebay) and a plug & socket for the power supply, the power supply or battery can be sourced on Ebay or you may have a suitable supply kicking around.

The heater pad is wrapped around the Co2 tube and held in place by the heat shrink tube ( Supplied with the heater pad ), one lead is taken to the thermal switch and the other thermal switch lead to the power in socket, the other lead from the heater pad is connected to the power in socket, polarity is not a problem.
To test turn on power and use medical thermometer or a thermal probe type to check the temperature, as a guide he Co2 tube should not be hot or warm to the touch. To adjust this move the Thermal switch up or down the tube, closer to the heater lowers the temperature.
Or use a veriable supply also use a 1 amp supply. a pressure gauge in the Co2 end cap would be advisable.

Al

Last edited by Alstone on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I seem to recall you had experimented with this a few years ago- is this the "new and improved" result?

Smile

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Yes you right Eric, this is the first update with another to follow in the new year. Its something I have been playing with for a while but never heard of anyone else doing it?
I use a 12v transformer or 12v 3ah battery to run it though a variable trimmer to control the temperature. The new improved system is self regulating with the use of thermal switch which keeps the Co2 gas at 70 deg F about 800 psi, and with it being controlled when out using the battery I get longer shooting time.
I am waiting delivery of a micro variable temperature control unit from the Philippines (EBay) when that arrives I hope to be able to set any pressure I like up to 1500 psi.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Way back when I worked for a printed circuit board shop. We had peel-and-stick copper foil tape that you could solder to. Maybe a sandwich of black electrician's tape, copper, and more black tape on top? It would be unobtrusive and conform to curved shapes.

Aluminum duct seal tape would work also, but you couldn't solder to it.

Pistols have been alternately called pieces, rods, gats, roscoes, and heaters - this gives new meaning to the latter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
Alstone
I never thought about that “Heaters” nice one! The wiring is a bit iffy but for the number of times I have to change it, it’s handy, When The new control unit arrives I will use circuit tape as its getting a bit crowded in there.

Al

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
Slavia
How about heated grips and cheek pieces? I say this only half facetiously. A couple of my guns have cheek pieces covered in a padded toolbox drawer liner material. It makes a difference on cold days.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Slavia wrote:
How about heated grips and cheek pieces? I say this only half facetiously. A couple of my guns have cheek pieces covered in a padded toolbox drawer liner material. It makes a difference on cold days.

Sitting about waiting for rats with a heated cheek piece I would be asleep every time one popped up. The one fitted is plastic conduit over steel so not to cold.

I fitted a green laser sighting aid the other day blimey! I didn’t expect it to have a mile range, in day time you can see the green beam disappearing into the sky. I will have to put a resister in the power supply to cut the power down a bit, otherwise the law will be paying me a visit.

Good Stuff

Al

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Even without lasers it's probably not a smart move to be seen aiming at aircraft.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Probably not! But Drones are another thing. Laughing

Have a good Holiday everyone

AL

UPDATE 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
Alstone
I have for some time experimented with heating the Co2 tube to increase the working pressure, this has worked quite well as the pressure of Co2 is directly linked to the temperature of the gas, so 22 deg C gives me around 800 psi which I like. But as he temperature drops so does the shot fall.
So my solution to this is to control the Co2 temperature to with in one degree, this is accomplishes by using an electronic thermal control unit, which will monitor the Co2 temperature and turn the heater on or off as required. This is accomplished by information it receives from a thermal sensor strapped to the Co2 tube, which is accurate to 0.1 deg
The control unit is housed in the dummy magazine and runs of a 12v battery or mains transformer, a 3.5ah battery will give me around 2hours shooting at 5deg C which is no bad.
These control units are available on Ebay for around 99p UK or $1.50 US.
Al

Control Unit

Control unit ready to be plugged in to Mag holder

Plugged in

Power on Display shows the Co2 temp 22.2 Deg C

Finished!

Last edited by Alstone on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:32 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Looks like something out of Star Wars.... complete with charge cord.... Cool

Bob

UPDATE: New Control Unit Co2 Tube Heating