Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » fwb 124 sport serial number 3159
fwb 124 sport serial number 3159 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote
redear
hey ya'll, glad to be a part of this forum after recently rekindling my desire to use an air rifle again. I have a fwb 124 sport 177 cal with serial # 3159, dad bought it for me in 72 or 73 from air rifle headquarters in west va. It has been an awsome gun through the years. I have a super duty kit comming from maccari which will be here today probably and I'll put it in myself after making a spring compressor. the only other thing that bothers me is a crack through the grip area, it is cracked from the back of the trigger gaurd and extends maybe 2 1/2" ending in the checkering area. a couple german police officers took the gun from me as a kid and when dad got the gun back, it was cracked. I can only assume they messed with it around the station and let the barrel fly. If the stock was cracked all the way I could easily fix it because I could get the glue in there, but the way it is I am not sure anything other than a thin super glue would soak into the crack. anyone on here ever fixed a stock crack like this? and if so what glue and technique did you use? another tidbit of info, when I got this gun we shot Lion Jet pellets through it, years later I needed some more, and by then they were called beeman silver jets. I had never heard or read about Beeman in 72, my gun has no beeman name on it anywhere like all the others I have seen or heard about. so this is an early gun and very dear to my heart. kip

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
Slavia
I just did a Sheridan with a crack in the stock. I drilled holes for deck screws - just small enough so the threads would catch without causing more splitting. Then I wicked liquid super glue into the crack, smeared epoxy on the screws, and drew it together. I did muich the same thing on my Mendoza for reinforcement after modifying the stock.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
redear
thank you slavia, that bottom photo would be maybe the proper fix, if only a guy could get a drill bit long enough for the pilot hole. I have plenty of tools including drill presses etc, as well as hand held drill too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
redear
finally got a day off and started dissasembling the 124 in preparation for the spring and seal rebuild. also bought some things yesterday to make my spring compressor, settled on using a 5/8" stainless steel threaded rod 12" long, I took two nuts thats fit the rod and welded them to a 4" section of small 1" anglr iron, one on each end. the rod threaded thru these two nuts 4" apart won't let the rod have any endplay or slop allowing me to safely let the tension off the mainspring. tommorow I'll construct the wood blocks that will clamp the compression tube and hold it secure, then I'll mount all this to a board to complete the press. I also had a crack in the stock and today I flexed the stock enough to gap the crack open slightly, and wicked quite a bit of pace zap a gap super glue into it, then clamped the stock to hold the crack closed. I feel good about everything so far and am excited to be returning an old freind to service.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
redear
I also noticed the cocking arm was contacting the cocking shoe a little off to the side got me suspecting the arm may be bent a little bit, so I got a straight edge out and checked it, yup, so I will attempt to straighten this also.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
redear
the fwb 124 is all back together and shooting again, am all excited about it. my breech seal is the smaller size the early guns had so I'm gonna hit the auto parts store in search of a metric size o ring, 12mm I think, the next project will be to scope it.
fwb 124 sport serial number 3159 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing