Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols » HELP! Crosman 2240 problems
HELP! Crosman 2240 problems 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
BravoDeltaII
Got a Crosman 2240 about a month ago. Installed (recommended) heavier hammer spring, bored out transfer port and a steel breech. Put it together and it shot the first cartridge just fine. Went to take the CO2 cartridge out and it wouldn't come out (never had that happen before). Finally got the CO2 cartridge out and now when I put in a new cartridge it leaks gas out all over the gun. What could be wrong?

Last edited by BravoDeltaII on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Not sure who recommended a heavier hammer spring, but basically all they do on a 2240 is waste CO2 and make the gun louder.... It may be driving the piercing pin into the cartridge making it hard to remove and not seat properly, hence the leak....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
BravoDeltaII
rsterne wrote:
Not sure who recommended a heavier hammer spring, but basically all they do on a 2240 is waste CO2 and make the gun louder.... It may be driving the piercing pin into the cartridge making it hard to remove and not seat properly, hence the leak....

Bob

Well I took your advice and put the stock hammer spring and transfer port back in and no troubles. It's definitely more accurate with the steel breech and new rear sight...But I'm not going to try to 'soup it up' anymore. The blessing behind this was now I know how to completely disassemble the gun. Except I did not take the valve assembly apart. I would have taken the valve apart only if I continued to have problems...Thanks for the advice Bob!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
You cannot "soup it up" using the stock 7.5" barrel- anything you do will result in more wasted Co2 and noise, with very little, if any gain in power- the 2240 uses the same valve and transfer setup as the 2260- i.e. it was all designed for a .22 caliber rifle with a 24" barrel.

Ignore transfer port modifications and valve changes- install a longer barrel- no matter what length up to 24" it will gain you more than anything else and make better use of the valve/transfer port design.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:57 am Reply with quote
BravoDeltaII
AirGunEric wrote:
You cannot "soup it up" using the stock 7.5" barrel- anything you do will result in more wasted Co2 and noise, with very little, if any gain in power- the 2240 uses the same valve and transfer setup as the 2260- i.e. it was all designed for a .22 caliber rifle with a 24" barrel.

Ignore transfer port modifications and valve changes- install a longer barrel- no matter what length up to 24" it will gain you more than anything else and make better use of the valve/transfer port design.

I really appreciate all the experienced advice. Helps out a newbie like me. I believe I will put a longer barrel on it but it must wait till a later date. I've bought three (3) air guns in the last month. Nothing overly expensive but I better pull in the reins before this becomes a full blown addiction and I need to seek out 'Air Gunners Anonymous'! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:25 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
will result in more wasted Co2 and noise

Ain't that the truth. My range has a shelter with a tin roof, and shooting the 2240 is almost like shooting a .22LR.

My 1008 carbine conversion had a similar problem until I started to religiously put a scant drop of Pellgun oil on each capsule. Then it went away.

In the same vein - what mods would be wasted effort on a 1377 with an 18" barrel and FTP? I'm thinking maybe a power adjuster so I can dial in the number of pumps before air retention, but I'm not sure about the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
BravoDeltaII
Well I shot my 2240 again tonight and it's running and shooting just fine. Since I still have the stock front sight I painted the tip white today. I can now see the front sight 100% better. To change the subject I shot my Crosman 'Vigilante' tonight for the first time and I really like that revolver! It is very accurate but not as powerful as my 2240. It's one of those cheaper guns that are well worth the money. Till later.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
rsterne
Slavia.... All I can say is don't bother hogging out the valve or the ports in .177 cal.... you are more likely to lose than gain.... The ONLY thing I would do is JUST take the corner off the bottom of the exhaust port where it meets the throat of the valve, but just round it while removing as little volume as possible.... The power adjuster is necessary for a retained air setup, otherwise no reason to change the hammer spring unless you want to pump a lot....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
I shot my Crosman 'Vigilante' tonight for the first time and I really like that revolver

Tell us more! Photos are nice.

Quote:
The power adjuster is necessary for a retained air setup

So, you're saying if I want to avoid retained air (and get complete valve dump) then I should just leave it alone and count pumps. Right?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Stock springs will start retaining air at about 15ish pumps.... To achieve the balance required for a retained air setup you need a preload adjuster.... I have a .22 carbine setup for two shots at 600 fps on 20 pumps....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
The best thing I did to my 2240 is to put a preload adjuster, a hammer debounce device on it, and recrown the barrel. It made all the difference in the world and it's no longer a gas hog.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
robert w
all I did to mine is a longer probe. accuracy went way up. put a pellet in and close the bolt then open it n look.i bet the skirt is over half the port hole . when you shoot ,the gas comes up and deforms the skirt sending it helter skelter. at first I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. after the extended probe this pistol shoots better than im capable of

,crosman 400,gamo big cat in .22, diana 5g,diana 54 air king, diana 34 in .22 diana 34 in .177, wilrauch hw-55,and a romainian pioner training rifle , and a huge collection of powder burners 35 last count . 1 would think i have a gun store
2400 minor mod... 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
worldwalker44
Put a 10" barrel on and a long steel breech and a decent rear site and found the accuracy,power and balance improved.
HELP! Crosman 2240 problems 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols