Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns » Haenel BB gun
Haenel BB gun 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Jaynadeleplus1
Can anyone help with giving me the possible value of this BB gun. It belonged to my wife's grandfather before he passed on. Additionally, any advice on the best way to store this gun so I can pass it onto my children would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Manufactured in the 1930's, shoots slightly off-caliber lead balls (.174 cal), smoothbore barrel.

It looks to be in very good condition and to a collector you might be able to get $300. Perhaps a bit more as you appear to have some actual .174 cal ammunition for it.

That being said, It's more of a showpiece than it is a shooter and may be in such good condition because .174 cal lead balls were never very "common" and it likely did not get used alot.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Eric is probably pretty close. Here are a couple of links for guns that sold around $200, but you have the box and original ammo so likely more than that:
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11427109/air-gun/air-pistols/rare-haenel-model-100-d.r.p.-nickel-air-pistol
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11263033/air-gun/air-pistols/haenel-model-100-air-pistol

Try a Google search for "Haenel 100". Just a quick look at some of the matches turned up a forum link that suggests dates of manufacture from 1932-1940:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/405945/thread/1259452198/Haenel+Mod+100-DPR+and+Diana+25+questions++&amp%3B+Pictures

If it were mine I would be itching to shoot it, but would not do so. From that era it probably has a leather seal (which is now 75 years old and deteriorated). Like Eric said, it shoots lead balls that are smaller than "BB" caliber. For more information on the ammunition I would search "haenel ammo", "zimersteutzen ammo", or "rundkugeln".

Nice gun!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Jaynadeleplus1
Thank you Airguneric and Slavia for replying to my post. I used one of your links and was able to date my gun to 10/1932. My wife's grandfather would have been around 15, maybe he received it as a gift. He also served in WWII, could have gotten it over there. After reading your post on not firing it I started to laugh. When we first found it while cleaning out his house, I couldn't resist and shot off a couple rounds. It actually worked! But I will follow your advice and not do that again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
You would probably have to disassemble the gun to inspect the seal, but if intact all it would need is a little oil.

In your shoes I don't know if I would have shot it or not, but for sure I would have been sorely tempted.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns