Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Hog torturing with gamo.
Hog torturing with gamo. 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This company is too much. They have this guy shooting tiny hogs. He shoots
two and while they are writhing in pain, slowly dying, he talks about how great
of a gun they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jejT_DOIgO4

Who is there target demograph? Out of control 12 year old boys?

Reflect Jesus Christ-Not your surroundings.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Perhaps you should watch this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1INVWP-HnI

By the way those hogs dropped, and considering the angle of the shot (head down, impact at nearly right angles to the front of the skull, for best penetration directly into the brain).... I wouldn't mind betting they were dead before they hit the ground....

I'm by no means an advocate of not using enough gun for the job.... but IMO those were not injured animals, that was a humane killing shot.... My bet is that if you did an autopsy, the pellet completely penetrated the brain....

One of the best Hog Hunters on the GTA forum, Manny from Hawaii, repeatedly drops hogs many times that size with shots to the fusebox from guns as small as a .22 cal PCP putting out 50 FPE.... Another takes Raccoons (including big ones) regularly with a 13 FPE .177.... but he never takes a shot that he isn't sure of.... It's all about shot placement, and knowing the anatomy of your prey, if you are using the minimum gun for the job.... and passing up any less than perfect shot....

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Bob La Londe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
rsterne wrote:
Perhaps you should watch this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1INVWP-HnI

By the way those hogs dropped, and considering the angle of the shot (head down, impact at nearly right angles to the front of the skull, for best penetration directly into the brain).... I wouldn't mind betting they were dead before they hit the ground....

I'm by no means an advocate of not using enough gun for the job.... but IMO those were not injured animals, that was a humane killing shot.... My bet is that if you did an autopsy, the pellet completely penetrated the brain....

One of the best Hog Hunters on the GTA forum, Manny from Hawaii, repeatedly drops hogs many times that size with shots to the fusebox from guns as small as a .22 cal PCP putting out 50 FPE.... Another takes Raccoons (including big ones) regularly with a 13 FPE .177.... but he never takes a shot that he isn't sure of.... It's all about shot placement, and knowing the anatomy of your prey, if you are using the minimum gun for the job.... and passing up any less than perfect shot....

Bob

Thanks for that nice counter view point.

FYI: I once dispatched a badger in a trap at point blank range with a perfect brain case shot. After I thought it was dead I allowed my trap line dog to sniff the body. The badger jumped up and bit him on the face. I assure you that badger's brain was quite scrambled.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They were NOT dead before they hit the ground. You should of watched the
video before commenting, as they dropped and took quite a while to die.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I disagree.... and YOU should watch the video I linked to.... Rolling Eyes .... I watched the entire video you linked to, smart a$$.... Perhaps you think you know more than the Doctor speaking in the video I linked to?....

Cadaveric Spasms, and Disinhibition on brain shots, are a very interesting subject.... I have blown the brains of a Grouse out through the opposite side of it's head, and had it fly straight up for 60 feet until it ran out of blood before crashing into the ditch.... I assure you, it was quite dead during that entire flight.... Rolling Eyes

Anyone who thinks that having an animal drop in it's tracks and not even quiver is the norm, has not hunted very much.... I have no further comment on this matter....

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Let's not completely lose our shirts over this.

-I haven't looked at the video, so I can't comment on it just yet- but definitely things that get shot cleanly may move around for awhile (remember the old expression 'run around like a chicken with its head cut off').

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is far better to be a smarta$$ than a duma$$.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:36 am Reply with quote
xtpete
Dead Horse Hippie Smoker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote
shawn706
I made a head shot on a doe this past hunting season. Took the top of its head off with a 30-06, and it still ran 40 yards before dropping.
drop dead 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
rusticbob
Who is the moron who shoots deer in the head! Deer are constantly moving there heads looking for danger. The brain is a very small target, and a miss by a few inches could hit the nose, or blow off the jaw and cause a lot of suffering, and a lingering death. I've seen enough of this at the checking station. Please shoot them in the heart/lungs. Bow or gun, they don't go far.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:54 am Reply with quote
shawn706
If you whistle they'll stare and freeze. Shot was inside 20 yards. Here we have about a 3 month season with modern firearms, and another 6 weeks or so with primitive. We get 12 tags a year. I started hunting when I was 12 and have probably harvested close to 80 deer and have never wounded and animal so why don't you keep the name calling to yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
rusticbob
Sounds pretty easy over bait!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:57 am Reply with quote
shawn706
Can't hunt over bait in the northern half of the state where I hunt. Planted food plots, but not bait. Haven't had the opportunity to hunt in south GA, but yeah I'm sure it has its advantages.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
There are some raccoon hunting videos on YouTube with perfectly executed headshots with .25 or larger air rifles and some of them take a little bit to stop doing the dance.

Just to add to the zombie animal stories:
I recently shot a squirrel 4 times in the head with a .22 CPHP @ ~800 fps, 2 of those were with the muzzle 2 feet away, and when I went back outside to retrieve it the thing was STILL breathing and even blinked a couple times. To give an idea of shot placement, the entire top of its head was mush when I started to dress it.

I'll never know how much of that it felt but all I can say is I did my part to bring him to a quick finish

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
SouthernBoy
domer_pyle wrote:
There are some raccoon hunting videos on YouTube with perfectly executed headshots with .25 or larger air rifles and some of them take a little bit to stop doing the dance.

Just to add to the zombie animal stories:
I recently shot a squirrel 4 times in the head with a .22 CPHP @ ~800 fps, 2 of those were with the muzzle 2 feet away, and when I went back outside to retrieve it the thing was STILL breathing and even blinked a couple times. To give an idea of shot placement, the entire top of its head was mush when I started to dress it.

I'll never know how much of that it felt but all I can say is I did my part to bring him to a quick finish

My Gamo Swarm Maximm in .22, using Super-HP's has downed feral cats, raccoons, squirrels and one armadillo. Great rifle and outperforms many that cost 2 - 3 times as much. Squirrels are tough little critters!!

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting