Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » Another "It Was Too Good To Throw Away" Project
Another "It Was Too Good To Throw Away" Project 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
I have used a spotting scope for many years, but it was never very comfortable. I was always afraid of elbowing it off the bench (or kicking it if I put it on the ground out of the way). Moving the gun and rest out of the way was always irritating, as was contorting myself to be able to look through it.

Last fall my father-in-law gave me a rifle stock, just to "see what I could do with it." It's now part of a "spotting scope system." The concept is that I can simply lay the scope on the same rest I'm using for shooting. So far it looks like a huge improvement. I can't claim it as an original idea - I remember seeing wildlife movies in the 1960's where photographers had cameras and long telephoto lenses mounted on gunstocks.

The stock must have been sitting in a shed somewhere, what with all the pigeon poop and dirt on it. After cleaning I found three cracks, numerous dents, and a 1/4" screw that had been put in the wrist to stabilize the cracks. Whoever did the "repair" pushed filler in around the screw (with metal still showing) and finished over it without sanding. I put in a smaller screw, bedded it in JB weld, and grafted patches in to cover it up. Similar patches were used to fill the action inletting. Super Glue was wicked into the cracks, and filling was done with a mix of plastic model cement and sawdust. The finish is stain, Tru Oil, and paste wax. (You can see the difference from the fore end piece I lopped off.)

The only jobs the butt pad has are to hide the end grain, increase length of pull, and not slip. Since there is no recoil to contend with, I made it out of wood and bedliner. The grip cap is a drawer pull. I fluted the front of the comb area simply because the Dremel was feeling lonely. Since I already had the bedliner in hand, I also freshened up the vomit green rubberized paint on the scope proper.

So - definitely turd polishing, but it works great.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Did you glue the spotting scope to the stock, or how did you fasten it?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
Slavia
If you look at the second photo, there is a hole where the trigger should be (with a washer and screw underneath). That bolts the scope to the stock. This type of scope/camera mount often has an additonal indexing pin to keep the optic from spinning about the axis of the screw - that wasn't necessary here. The wood that I added on top to close up the inletting extends back past the scope mount on both sides, preventing it from spinning.

The only trick to the scope mount was getting the eye relief right - since there is no recoil to mash your face, eye relief is almost zero.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Follow-up: I just dug through the junk drawer until I found a screw that would fit. Turns out the ISO 1220:2010 standard for camera mounts is 1/4-20 UNC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripod_(photography)

Which is just a fancy way of saying you can get the screw at a hardware store.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
ace
nice idea Slavia. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Slavia wrote:
...the ISO 1220:2010 standard...

Of course it's the ISO 1220:2010 !

I think I'll stick with "1/4-20 UNC".

Mr. Green