Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » CenterPoint 4-16x44mm Review
CenterPoint 4-16x44mm Review 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
Sholo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've been searching around for a new scope in either 3-12x44 or 4-16x44 with side focus and Mil Dot reticle. I had my choices narrowed down to either the Hawke Varmit or Leapers SWAT, both in 4-16x44. Then I noticed CP had a new model out, so I asked Eric @ ScopesAndAmmo if he could possibly bring some in, and as usual he came through once again...

Picked it up yesterday and gave it a quick inspection (haven't even got it mounted on a rifle yet). Being a $155 (CAD) Chinese-made scope I wasn't expecting too much from it, but I gotta admit I'm pretty impressed with it so far! Finish seems very good and uniform with no obvious imperfections anywhere that I could see and comes with flip open lens caps and a set of 1" Weaver rings. The only thing I would have liked to see it come with is a sunshade (which it doesn't) but not a huge deal.

Scope measures 13 1/8" long (without flip open caps attached) and weighs 20.4 Oz... 2.6 Oz heavier than the Hawke, roughly the same length (CP is 3/8" shorter) and $65 cheaper. 8.1 Oz lighter, 1 3/8" shorter and $25 cheaper than the Leapers SWAT.

The Mil Dot reticle is nice and crisp, not too thin or thick, just right IMO. The 44mm objective is also a nice touch. I compared it to my CP 4-16x40 right at dusk last night and as expected, the 44mm was noticeably brighter. Glass is crystal clear and even at 6-8 power still focused down to 7 or 8 yards perfectly. Side parallax wheel is smooth, albeit somewhat stiff, but I'm sure it will free up a bit once it gets used some.

Pics of the new glass:

When you take the turret caps off for windage/elevation you will notice the markings are different from the older 4-16x40. In the pics below it looks like the markings are painted on, but in fact they are etched/engraved through the anodizing letting the exposed aluminum be the "paint" so to speak....

The only part I'm not sure of is this thing-a-ma-jig found on the underside of scope. What the heck is it?

Also picked up a sidewheel for it too. Would have preferred a 3", but 4" was all that was available:

It's pretty early in the game yet, but already I like it a lot! I have the older CP "Adventure" class scope (4-16x40mm) and love it too, but always wished it was side focus plus I could do without the illuminated reticle (never had any use for illuminated reticles so why have it on there?)...the new 4-16x44mm SF fits the bill perfectly. I will definitely be picking up at least one more these!... Mr. Green

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:46 am Reply with quote
tommytanker
Please give uodate down the road, sure like the looks of the big wheel.
No clue on the thing-ama-jig

Gamo Whisper, Hawke 2-7x32 HD-IR
XS12, Hawke EV 3-9x40mm IR
Crosman Quest
Crosman 1377

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thigamajig the nitrogen fill port, maybe? Thanx for starting this thread, I'll be following it to see how you like the scope after use!

Edit: nah, that screw is probably the fill port…I guess that thing has something to do with the objective adjustment? I've never handled a side-wheel AO adjusted scope, so I can't say if others have similar design.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote
Sholo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
tommytanker wrote:
Please give uodate down the road

Will do!....But it may be awhile, woke up this morning and it was -31*C Shocked

tommytanker wrote:
No clue on the thing-ama-jig

You and me both, bud!

Mentolio wrote:
I've never handled a side-wheel AO adjusted scope, so I can't say if others have similar design.

It's my first side focus scope also, just thought maybe someone out there with more experience would have an idea...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is a nitrogen fill port.

Reflect Jesus Christ-Not your surroundings.
CenterPoint 4-16x44mm Review 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics