Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » new rifle for indoor shooting
new rifle for indoor shooting 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
chet
maybe some users can help me make a selection on caliber here, getting ready to order the RWS 34 going to be using it more for some bench shooting so looking for which would be a more accurate choice here will be shooting indoors at 10 thru 30M most of the time for score

thanks
Chet
ps if anyone thinks there may be a better choice in rifles for around the same money let me know, don't want a co2 this time around, would like to get the Discovery but don't want the expense of all the filling accessories needed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
what kind of competition? field target?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
chet
Indoor bench off bags ect, shooting 5 or 10 shot groups or a single target with 20 small targets one shot at each one 10 m thru 30 m friend has a heated pole barn building and there are a bunch of people want to get together to have some fun, some of the guys as myself we do outdoor benchrest shooting too, i actually shoot a 6BR. out to 600yds

Chet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
dobiman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you want to do serious shooting, spend a little more and get a HW77 or HW97 in .177cal. Fixed barrel for best accuracy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
rsterne
If you're shooting benchrest, you may find any springer challenging, as they like to be held very loosely (artillery hold) to allow for the double recoil.... You can partially get around that by using a paint roller for a front rest, there is a thread about that on this forum....

You might consider a PCP, tethered to a SCUBA tank, as the most practical and accurate solution.... but on the other hand at distances out to 30M it wouldn't be very challenging....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
chet
dobiman wrote:
If you want to do serious shooting, spend a little more and get a HW77 or HW97 in .177cal. Fixed barrel for best accuracy.

retired mech engineer, and I know what you mean by the fixed barrel, i did not know about these type of rifles with the cocking mechanism under the fixed barrel, does any other company use this concept type for cocking ect, really don't want to spend that kind of money on a air rifle at the moment. unless I hold off a few months

thanks
Chet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Kimber45cal
Have you ever looked at the Air Arms TX200MKlll. costs a little more but a very nice smooth recoil underleaver rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
use a TX200HC all the time also for bench shooting, as rstern says shooting Springer’s of bags can be difficult, but I find that using a soft cushion is ok.
It's just a matter of getting used to the character of a Springer, and getting the hold right. an expensive gun but cheep shooting no gas or air needed.

AATX200HC mk3 see below.

Al

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I agree sign All you need with a springer is the gun and a pack of good pellets.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:00 am Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Re caliber selection.

For informal target shooting, you can't go wrong with either .177 or .22. The .177 will have a flatter trajectory, but if you go with 22 the trajectory will still be consistent shot to shot so you will still have good accuracy. The 22 pellets are enough bigger that I find them to be a little easier to fumble with my fingers, for what it's worth.

No reason to exclude .20 (or .25 for that matter) except that .177 and .22 are the ones you will be able to find locally. While there are some excellent pellets available online, I find that Crosman Premiers are really a pretty good pellet and they are available at most places. I like pellets that I can get for a few bucks a tin without having to order them.

There is also price. Granted, even the best pellets are shot per shot really cheap. 177 and .22 cost the same as each other but the .20 and .25 are more. Kind of like 12ga and 20ga shells are the same price, but you pay a premium for 16ga if and when you find them.

The one place where I do see a substantial difference between .177 and .22 is small game/vermin. The .22 hits them harder and (in my experience anyway) gives better, cleaner, more merciful kills. If you may use the air rifle for starlings or barn rats, go for the .22; if it's just for paper and cans and you have something already for your verminating, then it's a toss up between the .177 and the .22

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I agree sign I like .22 better for just about everything. It hits the spinner harder and really rings the cowbell we have hanging. THe .177 Goes faster and has a flatter trajectory it is true, but the faster you go the quicker you slow down. I like the .22 strictly for more mass downrange. I've done the math a couple of times, and while the .177 has more speed, the .22 in the same gun has more foot pounds of energy. I don't know why, it just is. Maybe bob can pipe in and let us know why.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles