Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » QB-78 HPA tuned ....
QB-78 HPA tuned .... 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Gunrunner
I think I'm getting pretty close in the fine tuning of this QB-78. with ajustable hammer.
Here is the latest shot string using crs. hollow 22 cal. with 2700 psi and there was 1600 psi remaining at the end of the string ..
1 -915
2 -912
3 -918
4 -921
5 -920
6 -926
7 -924
8 -928
9 -927
10 -930
11 -932
12 -931
13 -937
14 -942
15 -940
16 -944
17 -942
18 -950
19 -956
20 -955
21 -951
22 -948
23 -953
24 -947
25 -939
26 -933
27 -923
28 -915
29 -894

The next thing I'll do is fill in the hole in the hammer where the spring guide goes to make the hammer heavier and maybe more consistant shots.
Pretty happy with it right now and with 1600 psi left it takes no time to pump it up again..
So how does it compare with other QB-78 hpa's and B-50 and 51's ..
please post .. like to see a comparison ..

Gunrunner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Nice numbers. Another 100fps and you can hear it break the sound barrier. Wink

If you don't mind me asking- what did you do to get the valve assembly to remain stable at 2700psi of pressure trying to push against it?

Any idea what kind of money it took to get it in the 950fps range?

And lastly- are you using a scuba tank to fill it, or a hand pump? If a hand pump- how many pumps does it take to fill the reservoir in the QB? Also- what size is that reservoir?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
QB78 PCP 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
SWEET Cool

Those are some nice figures.
That Rifle is very very well tuned to get almost the speed of sound with .22cal pellets, looks realy nice too.

How accurate is the rifle? and what is its max accurate range?

Stevie Thumb Up!
The Speed Of Sound 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Just a few questions on mach 1 Crazy/Loopy

I do know a bit about the speed of sound as I'm in to Aircraft and physics, But I just want to know a little bit more about it from the AirGuners point of view, So here are a few questions for anyone to answer or share their opinion on.

How fast is the speed of sound exactly in FPS?

I hear that breaking the sound barrier can affect accuracy, Is this ture?

Can the sonic crack be silenced?

Can a regular silencer handle sonic ammunition?

I also know that all aircraft that can exceed mach 1 have to stay sub sonic over land as this sonic boom can cause window to break, farm animals to go crazy and even cause avalanches, So why doesn't the sonic crack from a fire arm do the same? Is it a Mass thing or something else?

Any knowladge or awnsweres will be greatly appreiciated.

Stevie7777 Thumb Up!
Re: The Speed Of Sound 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
StevieLaner7777 wrote:

I also know that all aircraft that can exceed mach 1 have to stay sub sonic over land as this sonic boom can cause window to break, farm animals to go crazy and even cause avalanches, So why doesn't the sonic crack from a fire arm do the same? Is it a Mass thing or something else?

Look here for some info on speed of sound and suppressors: http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=47 -temperature, humidity (air density), elevation, etc. affect the speed of sound- but a good "guideline" number is around 1040fps.

The sonic crack can't be silenced generally, although I would think from a theoretical point-of-view if you could have a barrel long enough for a projectile to reach the speed of sound before exiting the muzzle, and a silencer capable dealing with this- it would be possible. The problem might be that the barrel length would be extreme and unworkable from a convenience/usability standpoint.

"Sonic" ammunition? Look at the info on silencers/suppressors- they only suppress the muzzle blast- not the sound 'barrier' snap. Regular firearms used for purposes for which silencers are considered mandatory (for example, snipers) use sub-sonic ammunition- that is to say ammunition designed to not get too close to the speed of sound so as to not cross over.

Windows and such can break from super-sonic aircraft because of the energy output, or if you will, sound wave size (i.e. very very wide and with a slower attenuation). Firearms are -generally- not producing a wave large enough to cause this- although perhaps shooting the right gun close enough to a very large, thin window would cause it to break.
I replaced ... 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:43 am Reply with quote
Gunrunner
the the 2 screws with higher grade machine screws, the one holding the valve and the one holding the breech down which also holds the back stop for the valve, the 3rd screw that goes into the back stop and holds the stock on is the same one.
The most I got out of it was 1043 and that was with a bigger brass transfer port .. not very efficient at all, figure the sweet spot is around 925 to 950 with still plenty of power to hunt and with 30 shots I don't even have to take my Hill pump with me.
The tube is .880 O/D the wall thickness is twice as thick is the standard QB and the volume I have no idea.. sorry, the length of the tube is 26" same as the QB with the extend a tube. Never really counted how many pumps, from empty it takes about 10min of pumping at a slower pace and 5 min from 1600 psi. not bad really, I find from 2700 to 3000 psi I really have to lean on the pump .. so I just for go the last 300 psi.
I got to say from day one when I bought it from Sniper this QB has hit the mark ever time, its got one sweet barrel and after I converted it, its still hitting dead on.. I got it into the low 700's with Co2 and 50 yrdswas pretty standard .. I haven't had the chance to really do any long range target shooting yet .. but as soon as I do I'll post it.
If anybody is interested I sell the tubes for 175.00 canadian. with ajustable hammers 200.00.
Eric you were asking how much, with a used Hill pump, cost me 575.00

Thanks
Gunrunner Cool
pic of adjustable hammer and conversion on 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
Gunrunner
breech hold down..

Gunrunner Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
AdrianM
Where can I find all the mods necessary to increase the power of my QB78?

I don't mind searching...just point me in the right direction.

I am a machinist and I would like to get to work on my rifle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Gunrunner and leadman are the ones here who know the most about the QB-78's and mods to them. If you caught it- Gunrunner's main modification was converting the gun from Co2 to pre-charged pneumatic (compressed air) and then driving 2700psi through it. The most significant mod to doing this is replacing the tube/tank assembly that holds the dual Co2 cartridges with one that can handle 2700-3000psi. Aftermarket parts like this are available- I just don't know who specifically sells them offhand. The other main requirement for converting to air is modding the valve so that it doesn't lock up with that sort of pressure.

Hopefully either Gunrunner or leadman will come around and throw some more info in here.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

materials 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
metal tube
http://www.mcmaster.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:23 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Here's a list of the "essential" modifications to a QB-78 from airgunartisans:

http://www.airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon/tips.html

Other mods involve increasing the size of the transfer port and replacing its seal with poly-tube like what is often done on a Crosman 22xx gun in order to reduce restriction of gas flow (Co2 or air- doesn't matter which).

And in case you missed it, leadman's trigger tune:

http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=357

-which won't gain you any power, but will make shooting the gun that much more enjoyable.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Re: The Speed Of Sound 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:32 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
StevieLaner7777 wrote:
Just a few questions on mach 1 Crazy/Loopy

I do know a bit about the speed of sound as I'm in to Aircraft and physics, But I just want to know a little bit more about it from the AirGuners point of view, So here are a few questions for anyone to answer or share their opinion on.

Any knowladge or awnsweres will be greatly appreiciated.

Stevie7777 Thumb Up!

Hi Stevie
At sea level, at a temperature of 21 °C, the speed of sound is 1128 ft/s.

As for accuracy over the speed of sound it does not make much diffrence but it does slow the shell down quicker.

You cannot silence the sonic crack it travels with the projectile. If you were traveling just behind an object traveling over the speed of sound it would be one continueus sound.

Silencers cannot silence a projectile after it as left the muzzel. ( see above).

Your right on the last one, the bigger the object the louder the sound, I've heard Concord break the sound barrier over the Bay of Biscay, and that was loud.

AL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
leadman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
http://charliedatuna.com/CO2TuneByCharlie.htm

QB mods

those are the ones that i used, i dont recomend modding the valve unless you know exactly what you are doing or happen to have a spare on hand

hope this helps

Eric

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles