Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Crosman Nitro Venom 177 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Crosman Nitro Venom 177 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
kodiakdan
Just thought I would vent a little here. Got my new 177 nitro venom today and took it to the shop to install the scope and sight in. What a piece of junk! My daisy 130 made in spain is better built than the one I got. The cocking effort is ok but it feels like there is metal scraping on metal in the piston chamber or something. Cant get a decent group either with several different pellets. Also got that diesel smell to it in the air after several shots and then wouldnt you know, noticed on the box "Made In China" !! Just like everyone else, build it cheap, inflate the price and screw the consumer over! I knew I should have just spent a little more and got a nice RWS or Weihrauch! Then there is that cheap peice of crap plastic muzzle weight on the end of the barrel. Just as well of left it off and had a nice smooth barrel end. They didnt even get the grooves in it lined up square with top and bottom!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Glad you posted, it was on my "consideration" list. Yeah almost every air rifle on the shelves is China where all other things are made. Probably the chair your sitting on. Laughing
Next time may I suggest the RWS Diana 34? Not too much more, and if you aint got one, you'll probably love it. A world apart in spring guns.

BTW: I was up at Scheels in west des moines looking at these just today. I didn't handle it, but it did look kind of cheap thru the glass.
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
kodiakdan
Funny you would mention that. Smile I just paid for a 177 model 34 this morning at jacobsens in story city. I was in there Wednesay and looked at it and then got home and kicked myself for not buying it then. it was the older one with the steel front sight clipped to the dovetail on the barrell. Not the cheap plastic sight like the ones you see now online. Just wish the 34 was a gas spring. Them things have me spoiled.

This crosman may loosen up a little. had it out today and got a few sparrows while I was working outside the shop door. Seems like its got the power. Shot a pellet right through a 1x4. Seems to like crow magnums best right now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:27 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Cool.
Congrats...I bet you'll like the 34 best even with the metal spring.
I'm old school, and don't entorely trust gas pistons yet. In a lightly used gun, are the seals going top be holding in 10-20 years from age? or is this another one of those conspiracies to sell us stuff with a "shelf life"? Very Happy
Rob

PS I didn't know Jacobson's had any airgun stuff. I haven't been in there for a few years...like 15. Laughing I'll have to check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Virtually all of the made-in-China guns really need a good tear-down and cleaning- after that they generally perform quite well.

Crosman had been getting alot better at ensuring the Chinese product wasn't full of metal bits/shavings the last year or so.

If you're 'stuck' with it, take it apart, clean it up and re-lube, the difference will be quite noticeable.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
True that stuff. (well duh, Eric is a guru) Anyway you know Dan, the 34s tend to be pretty dry and harsh from the factory. A few drops of their spring cylinder lube along the spring and some plain old break-in time works wonders there too.
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
kodiakdan
Jocabesen dont have alot many air guns but there was a few there. He also had a real nice 160 that looked brand new that I probably should have bought.

I dont think Im stuck with this venom, I think I got 30 days to send it back but I guess I'm just disapointed. Crosman made some good guns and I just dont see the value of this china crap. I doubt they lowered the price at all on the chineese built gun over what it would have cost if they would have built it here. My guess is it probably cost them half as much to make it in china as it would have here but they charged the same price.

I would have rather paid a little more for something made here if I had the choice. The plastic muzzle weight really makes it look cheap. They would have been better off to just left the muzzle bare. Wood stock and steel bluing is fine. The plastic was kind of like a spit in the face.

I sometimes dream of owning an american air rifle factory. Smile I guarantee you there would not be any plastic parts on the guns from my factory. Smile Unless the customer wanted to special order it that way. Smile Not a big fan of shrouded barrels either. Mine would all be solid barrels with wooden stocks unless customer wanted something else. Smile

As far as gas springs, my kodiak has a theoben gas ram. It was installed several years ago and so far has not failed to blast a pellet through anything I shoot at with it. It still has a nice smooth lock time to it also.

Someday I would like to own a crow magnum/ eliminator.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Some Chinese stuff is OK for the money, but not for what they get for that rifle. I've been wanting to try an NP of some sort just to see what I think, but I'll probably stick to metal springs as long as I can still get one. Likely, they (metal springs) will die out in a few years due to the 51% rule in modern marketing.

What is a crow magnum eliminator? Question

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
kodiakdan
Here is a link to the Theoben website where they show the eliminator.
It was also known as the Beeman Crow Magnum. Beeman had 2 or 3 versions of it and last time I was on their website they didnt offer it anymore. It woldnt be a good plinking rifle though as it takes about 60 LBS to break it over. I would like to have one in .25 but for the price of about 1200 or whatever it is I would probably be pusing my luck with the wife.

http://www.airgunwerks.com/theobenusa/eliminator.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
kodiakdan
AirGunEric wrote:
Virtually all of the made-in-China guns really need a good tear-down and cleaning- after that they generally perform quite well.

Crosman had been getting alot better at ensuring the Chinese product wasn't full of metal bits/shavings the last year or so.

If you're 'stuck' with it, take it apart, clean it up and re-lube, the difference will be quite noticeable.

Is this gun something I could take apart on my own without any special tools? I might tackle it this winter.

It seems to be smoothing up a little. I laid it out on the bench at dads shop and everytime I get a chance I shoot it a little. I kind of like the little center point scope they sent with it too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Nice!
I just ordered an RWS 350 Magnum in .22, so I'll have to wait. Laughing
Someday I'd like a Daystate Huntsman Classic too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
robert w
i totally agree cheep chinese crap , coe's take the profit n break the company after sales falter to his bad decision to out source our jobs to china where its made cheep n crappy then we buy this crap makin 1 year of high profits ,then the ceo splits n we are holdin the bag. it took me 4 chinses crosmans ,1 hatsan /daisy and a [still got it]gamo big cat . the worse german gun shoots better ,cocks easier than all above . money i wasted on crap would have been better saved n spent on a hw -85 or 90 . i have 5 dianas a nd a nice old hw - 55 lessons learned the hard way . but dad always said we never learn from success , but we gain vast knowledge from mistakes

,crosman 400,gamo big cat in .22, diana 5g,diana 54 air king, diana 34 in .22 diana 34 in .177, wilrauch hw-55,and a romainian pioner training rifle , and a huge collection of powder burners 35 last count . 1 would think i have a gun store

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
kodiakdan
radar wrote:
Nice!
I just ordered an RWS 350 Magnum in .22, so I'll have to wait. Laughing
Someday I'd like a Daystate Huntsman Classic too.

Sweet. I was eying the 350's too. I like the clean barrel end without all the plastic crap on it. I like to see where the business comes out! Smile

Daystates look good too. How long does it take to pump up those PCP's anyway? I thought about trying a marauder in 25 cal. but figured it was made in china too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
kodiakdan
robert w wrote:
i totally agree cheep chinese crap , coe's take the profit n break the company after sales falter to his bad decision to out source our jobs to china where its made cheep n crappy then we buy this crap makin 1 year of high profits ,then the ceo splits n we are holdin the bag. it took me 4 chinses crosmans ,1 hatsan /daisy and a [still got it]gamo big cat . the worse german gun shoots better ,cocks easier than all above . money i wasted on crap would have been better saved n spent on a hw -85 or 90 . i have 5 dianas a nd a nice old hw - 55 lessons learned the hard way . but dad always said we never learn from success , but we gain vast knowledge from mistakes

Totally agree. Getting tired of these corporate clowns gutting all the good companies because they dont think they can make a living on the kind of money the rest of us have to settle for.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
robert w
and look at hostess , they blame the union. i seen a graph that showed where the funds went and 87% went to ceo,president,vice president ,and a couple of other mooches . union made =quality,slave child labor = kia autos,crosman air guns and all the cheep crap in walmart. i avoid that sweatshop supplied store as much as possible. i try to buy american made or from a stable country like germany austrailia, england. screw the chinese as all our jobs got outsourced for profits and lots of profits to keep all the big whigs rich

,crosman 400,gamo big cat in .22, diana 5g,diana 54 air king, diana 34 in .22 diana 34 in .177, wilrauch hw-55,and a romainian pioner training rifle , and a huge collection of powder burners 35 last count . 1 would think i have a gun store
Crosman Nitro Venom 177 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles