Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » .25 cal Disco Pumper Carbine Goto page 1, 2  Next
.25 cal Disco Pumper Carbine 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I started work on the internal parts for my .25 cal Disco Pumper today.... It will use the MRod barrel and Disco breech I mated up the other day, plus an extended Disco valve with a check valve built in just ahead of the gauge port.... The valve extension will include a gauge mount for a 1500 psi gauge.... Here is the piston and the front mounting block to fit a Benjamin 392 linkage into the Disco....

There will be a barrel band mounted on the stub of the front block which projects 3/8" ahead of the shortened Disco tube.... The barrel band will be 1/8" behind the muzzle of the MRod barrel....

The next step is to cut the Disco tube to length, and machine an 8" slot in the bottom for the linkage.... and drill the hole for the front pivot pin....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
robert w
i want to see more .lookin good so far

,crosman 400,gamo big cat in .22, diana 5g,diana 54 air king, diana 34 in .22 diana 34 in .177, wilrauch hw-55,and a romainian pioner training rifle , and a huge collection of powder burners 35 last count . 1 would think i have a gun store

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
Big Ern
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow! I can't wait to see this Bob. It will be epic!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I machined the Disco tube today.... cut it to length and squared the end and then machined the slot for the pump linkage....

The tube is 1/2" behind the front of the MRod barrel, and the 3/8" barrel band will fit over the stub of the aluminum front plug.... leaving the front of the barrel band 1/8" behind the muzzle.... The pivot pin is 5/8" behind the front of the tube, and the slot is 8.2" long.... The stroke is 7.6" and the piston is 6.7" from the link pin to the compression face.... That leaves the compression face 0.3" ahead of the front of the gauge hole, which leaves room for the O-ring to seal the valve....

The next step will be to make the extended front end for the valve incorporating the gauge mount and check valve.... Incidently, the front of the Disco stock comes to just behind where the spring sticks through the lever (the bump in the photo).... It will be cut just in front of the gauge, with the forestock becoming the pump handle.... Should work perfectly....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Interesting project! How many pumps do you expect to need for a full power shot Bob?

Al

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
rsterne
Well, Al, I originally hoped for ~30 FPE on 10 pumps, but was told that won't happen, it will take 14-15.... All I can say at this point is "que sera sera".... what will be, will be....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Alstone
14 pumps! I should take your De-Fib with you when you go shooting. Mr. Green

Al

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I do.... it's permanently installed now!....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I got the valve front end done today.... Here are the parts....

The extended front end incorporates a shortened check valve from a male Foster fitting.... It is held closed by a 1" long 0.020" wire spring sitting against a washer located on a shoulder inside the valve front.... I opened up the last coil of the spring to 5/16" so that it can't get past the washer.... Behind the washer is a QB hammer spring, and the location of the shoulder for the washer was chosen to provide the same force holding the valve poppet closed as on a stock Disco valve.... This was achieved by drilling progressively deeper, assembling the valve, and pushing the stem against the stem of a stock valve until they opened at the same time....

The rear (spring) chamber of the valve front is drilled to 3/8" and the front portion to 5/16".... and then a 1/8" NPT hole intersects the front part for a gauge mount.... For initial tests, I will be using a simple male to female 1/8" NPT extension to mount the 1500 psi gauge, which is located in the stock position for a Disco.... At the moment the rear portion of the valve is dead stock....The total volume as built, including the gauge mount, is ~5.5 cc.... That gives me a bore/valve volume ratio of 3:1 with the MRod barrel.... I plan on boring out the rear portion of the valve to unshroud the poppet and increase the volume by nearly 1 cc.... and to drill the throat to 1/4", thin the stem, and increase the port diameter and angle it for improved flow.... but I think I'll try it with the stock valve initially.... Then comes the fun part....

I have made a gauge mount that connects a 16 gr. thread CO2 cartridge to the valve.... It has an internal volume of just over 20cc, and is rated at 250 bar MSWP, >500 bar burst.... It installs into the mount with 3/8"-24 threads which will be either glued or soldered to seal them.... The cartridge just clears the main tube, and will live in a hollow in the stock just in front of the gauge.... It will be invisible when the pump arm is closed.... With the cartridge installed, the total valve volume will be ~27cc, and the gun would, of course, be tuned to retain air and operate like a PCP with an onboard pump to top up the pressure between shots....

I'm pretty excited to see all the parts coming together for this project.... It won't be too long before I can install the parts in the tube and try out the pump.... I still have other parts to make before the gun can be fired, however....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Very nice Bob!...Now that is a pumper.. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I assembled the pump today, using a stock Disco rear valve half.... and a conventional gauge mount.... Valve volume is ~ 5.5 cc and the swept volume is ~ 54 cc.... The following pressures were achieved:

5 pumps - 600 psi
10 pumps - 1100 psi
15 pumps - 1500 psi

After sitting for an hour, the pressure is still 1450 psi, which I would imagine is the effect of cooling.... I can't comment on the pumping effort as I had no stock on the gun, and it's not exactly easy to pump sitting upside down across my knees and pushing on the 1/4" wide metal pump linkage.... I would say the effort is significant but do-able.... and ergonomically shouldn't be a problem once the stock is fitted....

I'm quite pleased with these results.... I have to make the barrel band and the transfer port and a bolt, so initial testing isn't too far away.... I'm not expecting too much with the stock valve and porting, but need those results as a baseline.... I also have to modify the stock before any serious testing can be done....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
Alstone
This certainly looks a goer, a PCP with built in pump independent of any ancillary backup.
Depending upon the shot count It would be interesting to know what it would be in .177.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
WestTexasFarmBoy
That is quite a feat of engineering Bob. Shocked Even if it does take 15 or 20 pumps -- it will still be amazing Exclamation Exclamation

"The only stupid question is one that should have been asked but was not even though the answer was unknown to the person who did not ask the question."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
rsterne
With the extra 21 cc reservoir, it will be more like 70-75 pumps to fill to 1500 psi.... That is why the "Mk. 2" version will have a male Foster fitting.... I view the pump as an on-board top-up system for that gun....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
robert w
im amazed and enjoyin watchin a gun grow

,crosman 400,gamo big cat in .22, diana 5g,diana 54 air king, diana 34 in .22 diana 34 in .177, wilrauch hw-55,and a romainian pioner training rifle , and a huge collection of powder burners 35 last count . 1 would think i have a gun store
.25 cal Disco Pumper Carbine 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles