Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols » picking an airpistol Goto page 1, 2  Next
picking an airpistol 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
smatjack60
Hi folks,I have been trying without success to choose a air pistol to buy.I have no local resources to talk to ,to advise me in this area.I am a powder pistol shooter and have been for many yrs.I hane never owned a spring gun except the bb gun that i got50 yrs ago so i,m a noob.I,ve poured over the internet pages,just to become more confused.I want a .177 just to plink,etc,but i want accuracy.One fellow said not to waste my time with less than 25 cal.Don,t want that.I want a springer,not co2.Like to stsy under $300 if possible.Thought i,d narrowed it down to webley tempest or beenam hw70 but another site clouded the issue even more calling them both junk or calling em wonder gunsPlease help me shed some light .remember all i have is you all,s opinions.yes i,m from north carolina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Gippeto
While I'm personally not a fan of spring pistols as I find them difficult (at best) to shoot well...I have heard nothing but good things about the HW 45. Have not found one to try out as of yet though.

That said, and if you can perhaps be dissuaded from a spring pistol...I have also tried out a Webley Alecto...it's a multiple pump pistol (3 max) very accurate and has a rather nice trigger.

HW40...single stroke pneumatic might also be of interest.

For plinking and punching paper, .177 is adequate...for occasional pesting duty .22 would be enough.

The Alecto I shot was re-barreled in .25 though....did make some nice big holes. Smile

Al

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Spring pistols are hit or miss...
take a look at the Walmart P17 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
ginoe
you might get lucky like i did & get a good one. it's not a springer but a single stroke pneumatic, they're a lot easier to shoot & not as sensitive to hold as springers can be (although my new hatsan mod25 sc .177 is sweet to shoot with the XRS).

http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=8355

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
dobiman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had a HW70 in my hands recently and it shot very well. Got 3/4" groups at 25 feet and I'm not that good with pistols.
The Webley Tempest I used to shoot before was not good at all. It shot all over the place, i.e all around the clock except the center of the target.
There is the Beeman P1 with two power settings, that I consider to be only OK in accuracy. Great for shooting cans and objects at 25 yards or less, but I don't think you can win a paper target match with it.
And there are the Diana 5G or 6G air pistol. I have never shot one yet, so I can't comment on them. Same thing with the new Diana RWS LP8.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
Airhead
Why not look at the Webley Alecto, it's a tack driver at 10m and variable power. Nothing special needed to mount red dots, laser etc.

Benjamin Classsic
Walthers CP Sport

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Why a springer? A big draw to springers over CO2 is that all you need is pellets, no tubes of gas to run out of. That's sensable, but springer isn't the only option. Pneumatic (pump) doesn't need gas, and they aren't all the multi pumpers you may have seen in the past. The Alecto that others have mentioned is a high quality gun and well worth your time to look into. One pump gives you plenty of punch for plinking, and you have the option of going for a few pumps (I think 3 is the max) and you will have enough power for the occasional small vermin shot.

Most importantly, pneumatic gives you consistancy shot to shot. A high quality pump pistol will be as accurate as can be.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
would go along with Gippeto the HW 45 is a nice gun, and if you are used to powder burners the then you will feel at home with one, but I don’t know if you will be able to buy one for $300?

You could go for a Cometa made in India and a good shooter for around $200.
http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/gb/infer.asp?ac=36&trabajo=listar&pa=pistolas-cometa&sg=pistolas-cometa

The webley tempest is quite a good pistol and shoots well ideal for target shooting, the only thing I find I don’t like is the low Velocity of 400 fps in .177.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
robert w
i have a nice diana 5gtm that i lkove to shoot when im shootin pistols . about 4-425 feet per second with cphp's and accurate too . i also have an antique crosman 130 pumper that is fine but pumping gets old fast when your 57 years old

,crosman 400,gamo big cat in .22, diana 5g,diana 54 air king, diana 34 in .22 diana 34 in .177, wilrauch hw-55,and a romainian pioner training rifle , and a huge collection of powder burners 35 last count . 1 would think i have a gun store

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Airhead
Sorry guys I meant I would look at an Alecto. You don't ready need anything but the pistol and pellets to unlock a sh&@ load of fun. 1 pump plinks and 3 pumps pests. I love em

Benjamin Classsic
Walthers CP Sport

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't own one but if I had a $300 budget I would get one of these

http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Air_pistols/162/Cometa/brands_276

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
WestTexasFarmBoy
I have to agree with those that are not big fans of springer pistols (I'm not a huge fan of springers in general, truth be told). Then again, I've had no experience with most of the pistols mentioned so far -- except the Beeman P-17, which is pure fun and amazingly accurate for the $$.

Another Single Stroke Pneumatic that I love is the Avanti 747 Triumph Match. Velocity is lower than that of a Cometa Indian, but it is very easy to shoot well.

Just my 1.5 cents worth. Let us know what you decide on and how you like it. Wink

"The only stupid question is one that should have been asked but was not even though the answer was unknown to the person who did not ask the question."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
SHOOTINIT
Crosman Silhouette PCP Air Pistol

wish they had these 40 years ago.

add a bug buster 3-9x32 ao scope and you have one accurate pistol.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
JCKelly
A single-stroke pneumatic pistol is fine for target shooting, easier to shoot than a springer & needs neither air tank nor pump.

I am very pleased with my Gamo Compact, which I believe has been discontinued. Would have fit your price range, feels good in the hand.
Daisy Avanti comparable price, I have no experience with it.

Saw an upgrade over the Gamo, that being an FAS 604 Match. Quite a bit pricier.

If you want power enough to dispatch small rodents then you need something else.

Oh, and I am a Newbie/Tyro/Inexperienced Fellow where air guns are concerned. Do like the Gamo, though, for target.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
JCKelly
I'd like to add to this, since I live in Michigan with a c-c-c-cold basement range, CO2 doesn't work so well in the winter. Need a bit of heat for each shot.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols